Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Ask Ebaby! Teachers Go Super!

TV/Radio

britdam007

britdam007

India

We don’t use the article ‘the’ when we watch TV but why do we have to use it when we listen to the radio? Please advise?

Best regards,

Abhishek

07:24 AM Mar 13 2015 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Teacher AmySuper Member!

United States

When talking about the countable noun television/TV, we use an article. For example, “I turned on the television/TV.” When television/TV is used to mean the programs that can be watched, it’s a noncount noun and an article is not used. For example, “I watched TV last night.”

Radio simply doesn’t follow the same rules. It’s one of the many frustrating examples in English that one just has to learn. One can say, “I turned on the (countable noun) radio at 8pm,” or, I’m listening to the (noncount noun) radio.”

Best,

Amy

05:49 PM Mar 14 2015 |

britdam007

britdam007

India

Thank you for that was really helpful! I have got another question for you regarding tenses and it is as follows:

I took the car which he bought / had bought yesterday.

Best regards,

Abhishek

05:13 PM Mar 15 2015 |

Teacher AmySuper Member!

United States

You might hear either sentence in common English conversations.

Best,

Amy

04:41 AM Mar 19 2015 |

britdam007

britdam007

India

Yes , that’s right, but gramatically / technically speaking, which one do you think is the correct option?

Best regards,

Abhishek

06:35 AM Mar 19 2015 |

Teacher AmySuper Member!

United States

They are both correct. Neither one is more correct than the other. It simply depends on the context!

Best,

Amy

09:41 PM Mar 19 2015 |

britdam007

britdam007

India

Thank you Teacher Amy, you have a great day!

cheers

05:57 AM Mar 20 2015 |