Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Ask Ebaby! Teachers Go Super!

nutrient and nutritious

AnthonyShuang

United States

Can you explain the differences between these two words, and show me a few examples? Thank you.

02:21 AM Dec 02 2016 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Teacher AmySuper Member!

United States

Hi Anthony,

These words both refer to the same topic. 

In medical terms, a nutrient can be water, protein, carbohydrates, fats, minerals, and vitamins. In other words, a nutrient is something that our bodies need to live. We get most of our nutrients from food. Plants also need nutrients to live, but they get nutrients from soil and sunlight.

Nutrient is a noun. Nutritious is an adjective form of the word. Nutritious food is healthy food, food that provides you with nutrients. Junk food, for example, is not nutritious, because it doesn’t usually have any nutrients.

Here are some examples for you:

- Spinach and carrots are nutritious. Sadly, potato chips are not nutritious.

- Is frozen food as nutritious as fresh food?

- Many people think it costs a lot of money to eat a nutritious diet.

- It’s difficult to grow food when there are no nutrients in the soil.

- In order to live in space, humans will need air, water, heat, and nutrients.

- I like to buy this cat food. It has more nutrients than the other kind.

I hope this helps you understand the difference between nutrient and nutritious!

Best, 

Amy

01:58 AM Dec 03 2016 |

AnthonyShuang

United States

Thank you. Your answer helps me a lot, it’s so helpful. When I ask this question I use “nutrient” as an adjective, now I know the word “nutrient” is commonly used as a noun. I also looked up the dictionary and found “nutrient” is more concrete while “nutrition” as a noun is abstract. Am I correct?

06:32 AM Dec 04 2016 |

Teacher AmySuper Member!

United States

Hi Anthony,

You’re most welcome!

Yes, we use nutrient as a noun. We add – ious, a common suffix for adjectives, to turn the word into an adjective.

You’re also correct with nutrient vs. nutrition. Nutrient is specific- it refers to a certain thing like protein, vitamin, etc. Nutrition refers to overall health. For example, we can say, “Good nutrition is very important. If your body lacks certain nutrients, you might get sick.”

Best,

Amy

04:37 AM Dec 05 2016 |

AnthonyShuang

United States

Really appreciate your explaination. crystal clear now

09:32 PM Dec 05 2016 |