Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

English Talk

a grammar question

Paul Inzaghi

China

My professor told me that Preposition could not link Noun Clause.
e.g. He got used to that he worked late into the night.
   This sentence is wrong. But why?
   I suppose that Noun Clause takes place of Noun's function.
  This example sentence is a simplification from " He got used to something that he worked late into the night",I know.
  And another simplification," He got used to work late into the night",said my professor, is right.That is no problem.
  What I wanna make sure is whether " He got used that he worked late into the night" ,this kind of simplification,is still right.
  Please,  why Preposition could not link Noun Clause ?
  If any friend know it, tell me,please. Thank you very much.
  I am really very confused now.

09:51 AM Jan 27 2008 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

philquad

philquad

Australia

My professor told me that Preposition could not link Noun Clause.< this i dont kno.

your missing words, this is the problem. 

e.g. He got used to "the fact" that he worked late into the night.
   This sentence is wrong. But why?
    This example sentence is a simplification from " He got used to "the fact" that he worked late into the night",I know.
  And another simplification," He got used to work"ing" late into the night",said my professor, is right.That is no problem.
  What I wanna make sure is whether " He got used "to the fact" that he worked late into the night" ,this kind of simplification,is still right.

my corrections are in " " for you. 

10:22 AM Jan 27 2008 |

fathma

fathma

Taiwan

Dear friend,

I think your problem is nothing but misunderstanding the character of this sentence "He got used to that he worked late into the night."

The following is my opinion : that this part "that he worked late into the night" is not a clause of noun but adjective. Then,obviously.it need an object "something" to be modified.

I hope this would explain your trouble .

Yours sincerely,

Carlos

10:42 AM Jan 27 2008 |

Paul Inzaghi

China

Whatever, thank you two all the same. 

11:08 AM Jan 27 2008 |

Paul Inzaghi

China

Oh, I got it. There is no antecedent.

11:16 AM Jan 27 2008 |

Paul Inzaghi

China

" He got used to work"ing" late into the night" was my typographical error,no doubt. 

After carefully reading the above suggestions from the two friends and looking up the reference, I figured it out. Carols' is completely right.

Thus, it is necessary to give more details, I think, 'cause there might be still some friends having the same problem.

Firstly, let's look the following example sentence. 

I am worried that my son lies all the time.

It originates from " I am worried about the fact that my son lies all the time".

" I am worried about the fact that my son lies all the time" also originates from " I am worried about the fact which is that my son lies all the time"

The purpose of simplication is to make sentence more clear and concise.

The elements that could be omitted  consist of repetition and—be verb.

" I am worried about the fact that my son lies all the time" Has been omitted out of " which is". If ommited "the fact" again, this sentence will be incomplete .

02:11 PM Jan 27 2008 |

Paul Inzaghi

China

Thanks to these friends having helped me again. I really appreciate it.

02:14 PM Jan 27 2008 |

fathma

fathma

Taiwan

You are very welcomed. Now, I can see that you are really understand it.

12:53 PM Feb 04 2008 |

rinaldo38

Germany

Hi,How would you transform the active question: Did they make many cars last year? into the passive voice? And the active sentence: Bell didn't invent the television.als into passive voice.

Thank you in advance

rinaldo38 

03:24 PM Feb 23 2008 |

nad1a

nad1a

Greece

@ Paul Inzaghi
  • ” I am worried about the factthat my son lies all the time”
    Omission of ‘the fact’ requires changing the verb pattern that follows as prepositions (about) are usually followed by gerund. So, ”...about my son/ my son’s lieing…”

08:48 AM Feb 24 2008 |

nad1a

nad1a

Greece

@ rinaldo38
*Did they make many cars last year?
->Were many cars made last year?
*Bell didn’t invent the television
->Television wasn’t invented by Bell.

08:49 AM Feb 24 2008 |