Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

English Talk

GOOD LANGUAGE LEARNER

daomai

daomai

Viet Nam

WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY A GOOD LANGUAGE LEARNER? LET ME KNOW YOUR OPINION ABOUT THIS

01:25 AM Mar 13 2008 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

blackpowdr

blackpowdr

China

a good language learner?pronuciation should be perfect(or almost perfect),wot amazed me a lot is most ppl dont take care of pronuciation,although this will help ppl to undestand u better,especially when u jump from idea to idea, besids tht,the content of their language also needs to be very good,it really takes time to improv this part coz u do need to read a lot..Smile

05:45 AM Mar 13 2008 |

glitter

Ecuador

hi actually im working on a call center and my job consist on call persons from us and make a survey about movies , but people in us is so rude, impolite they insult us ,

05:51 AM Mar 13 2008 |

glitter

Ecuador

and tell us that we should learn english before call themselfs , but why their haver to be so rude and impolite , i want a explanation .

05:54 AM Mar 13 2008 |

blackpowdr

blackpowdr

China

if i were u,i would spent more time n energy workin on my english,insted of blamin on their attitude problms…

06:30 AM Mar 13 2008 |

Jajani

Jajani

Sri Lanka

Smile

"There has been a lot of research in recent years into what makes a good language learner. Here is a brief summary of the latest theories:

• The good language learner thinks about how she is learning. She tries to find out what works for her and what doesn't. If she doesn't understand the purpose of a particular exercise, she asks the teacher.
  • The good language learner is willing to experiment and take risks. For example, she will try out different ways of learning vocabulary until she finds the way that suits her best. She is also not afraid of making mistakes, because she knows that these will help her.
  • The good language learner is realistic. She knows that it will take time and effort to become proficient in English, and that there will periods where she does not seem to be making much progress.
  • The good language learner is independent. She does not expect to learn English just by sitting in the classroom, and does not rely on the teacher to totally direct her learning.
  • The good language learner is organised and active. She uses her time to learn English sensibly, and is always looking for opportunities to develop her language both inside and outside of the classroom.
  • The good language learner has a balanced concern for communication and accuracy. Some students are experts at communicating their thoughts but do not care that they make many mistakes in doing so. The good language learner, on the other hand, is concerned with both communicating and doing so as accurately as possible.

Although these are the qualities that have been

found in the most efficient language learners, there

are still many other factors that influence how quick a child will learn English. Smile

http://esl.fis.edu/parents/advice/good.htmhttp://www.bbc.co.uk/education/languages/learn/success.shtml  

08:08 AM Mar 13 2008 |

daomai

daomai

Viet Nam

send to blackpowdr

I know your problem but you must have mistaken my idea.This is one of  topics i must prepare for my present ,so i ask there to hope that everyone can help me . Above all thank for sharing 

04:20 PM Mar 13 2008 |

gkisseberth

Germany

NuPogodi, I agree that pronunciation is important but I think that there´s more to it than just pronunciation. Often people with even strong accents can make themselves understood better by also using idiomatic English, by correctly learning and using words that are commonly collocated together and by improving their vocabulary in general so they are able to express their meaning clearly. 

One very important point in pronunciation that many forget about is intonation. This is the stress we place on certain words in a sentence (the more important words that carry content) and the lack of stress we put on words that merely make the sentence grammatically correct.

English is a very stress dependent language and many students focus on word stress but not enough on sentence stress. 

05:40 PM Mar 13 2008 |

blackpowdr

blackpowdr

China

hi..daomai ..plz dont get me wrong,the second msg was sent to glitter

08:09 PM Mar 13 2008 |

daomai

daomai

Viet Nam

hi sorry you …..nice to meet you .anyone who want to chat with me plz add : dao_mai_iaac

hope that i can know more good friends !

11:48 AM Mar 16 2008 |

daomai

daomai

Viet Nam

thankyou very much ! teacher gkisseberth hope that i can learn more from you

11:50 AM Mar 16 2008 |