Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

English Talk

Words To Watch

lizz-is-me

lizz-is-me

Germany

OK, here are a few mistakes that you should not make.

(1) "ain't"Do not use this word. It is not a proper English word, you will just sound ignorant. The correct word to use is "aren't".

(2) "is" and "are"-Please take care when using these words. Do not mix them up. The word "is" is a singular word, and the word "are" is a plural word. Example: She is going to the mall. They are going to the mall. An exception to this is the word "you"Example: You are very nice.

(3) "alot" Although you will find many English speakers using this term, it is incorrect. A lot is a piece of property, and should not be used to describe the quantity of something. The correct terms to be used are words such as "much" and "many".

Thank you for reading.

-Lizz

11:48 PM Mar 13 2008 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

gkisseberth

Germany

good points lizz,

"ain't" is certainly not formal English, but it's good to learn what it means since you will hear it. Sometimes a lot. 

Speaking of a lot…  that actually is correct. Yes a lot is a piece of property, but it also means a quantity of something. It is always two words, however. Never alot. Maybe some think it's not correct because usually in written English, writers use terms like often or "a great deal" 

The opposite would be a little,  

02:02 AM Mar 14 2008 |

lizz-is-me

lizz-is-me

Germany

I disagree, it depends on how it is used. If one literally means to say that there was a lot full, then it is correct. For example: "I had a lot full of cars." If one where to state "I miss her a lot." then it is incorrect, and it also does not make sense. One cannot have a lot full of missing. Wakata ka?

02:54 AM Mar 14 2008 |