Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

English Talk

Question

June

June

Germany

<!-==text==begin==-> I have some difficultiesusing Present Perfect and Simple Present.
So inthis sentence: Things have changed a great deal atColtech, Inc. When we first started working herethree years ago, the company only had sixemployees. Since then, we (expanded or haveexpanded ???) to include more than 2000 fulltimeworkers.
Is it possible to use either ofthem or just one of them? If just one why can’t Iuse the other?
Thanks!
June  

Replies:
<!-==10044==0==end==->

01:16 AM Apr 03 2000 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

tiffintime

tiffintime

Sri Lanka

My choice would be: "Since then, we have expanded to…"

Though the action (expansion of the work force) has been done in the past, the action still has a direct relationship to the present time (Since then…); therefore I think the preferred choice here is the Present Perfect.

If the past action had a relationship to a specific time in the past, we then use the Past Perfect. For example: After we had expanded our staff to over 2000 workers, we were told not to recruit any more.

02:01 PM Jan 21 2008 |

nad1a

nad1a

Greece

Did you mean Present Perfect and Simple PAST?
SIMPLE PAST says WHEN
I SAW John YESTERDAY. (WHEN?-YESTERDAY)”
PERFECT PRESENT doesn’t say when but what has happened BEFORE the time of speaking (with time words like SINCE, ALREADY, BEFORE, YET, EVER, NEVER)
“I HAVEN’T SEEN John SINCE yesterday.”
“I have been to the USA before ”
“I’ve done my homework already.”

08:25 AM Jan 23 2008 |