Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

English Talk

'Take it serious' or 'Take it seriously'

Midfall

China

Please tell me which is more idiomatic?

11:59 PM Dec 30 2008 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

ユウタ☆

ユウタ☆

United States

This is not a matter of idiomaticness, but more of grammar.

The correct phrase is "Take it seriously."

Take it refers to thinking and judging something that a person is told. When you take it seriously, you mean that you are doing something seriously or that you are accepting what someone says seriously.

Seriously is an adverb, while serious is an adjective. Adverbs describe how a verb is done. In the phrase "take it seriously", take is a verb, and it is a noun. The adverb seriously modifies the verb take.

06:12 AM Dec 31 2008 |

holly&honey

China

i quite agree withユウタ☆ !

08:40 AM Dec 31 2008 |

excuice

China

But how can you explain 'take it easy.'?

03:18 PM Apr 01 2010 |

tiffintime

tiffintime

Sri Lanka

"Don't take it (too) seriously", "Take it seriously" and "Be serious!" are what I have heard in spoken English. I have not heard anyone saying, "Take it serious".

In a discussion on this topic (see the linked web page) , one writer has commented that "Take it easy" is an idiomatic phrase, and so it is not bound by the usual rules of English grammar . 

10:00 AM Apr 02 2010 |

tiffintime

tiffintime

Sri Lanka

Hey Midfall, I'm sorry, but haven't you asked this same question before? Smile Anyway, it's great to read different comments on the same topic. 

http://www.englishbaby.com/forum/AskEnglish/thread/241142

10:20 AM Apr 02 2010 |