Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

English Talk

speak fluently

javier

Spain

Hi all,

I don’t have any gammar question, but I have a doubt. In your last survey, when you said how many languages I speak fluently, the truth is that I couldn’t answer the question. How can I measure my ability of speaking when I’m studying English or any language? Through my experiences I can say that I’ve almost always failed when in my country some American or English was talking to me and I seldom understood anything. I’m very confused for it.

Thanks in advance

08:34 AM Jun 30 2002 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

john

johnSuper Member!

United States

Hi Javier,

I think understand your question: How do you know if you’re fluent in a language? As we all know, fluency has many different levels. Because of this, it’s not a very good measure of skill. However, it does give people a general idea of your knowledge.

In short, if you can hold conversations in the environment you like to use another language, I think you can call yourself fluent. For example, if you can speak English very well at work, but have a hard time talking to kids, I’d say you were fluent. If you can talk with your friends easily, but can’t conduct a business meeting, you’re still fluent.

Does this make any sense? I hope so.

John

11:25 PM Jul 03 2002 |