Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

English Talk

is "hehe" an english word? if so, it means..?

aniceguy

China

is "hehe" an english word? if so, what's that mean?

07:58 AM Aug 17 2007 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Kevin.wu

China

It's not an English word, it's a Chinese word,means haw-haw, but not so strong.

08:13 AM Aug 17 2007 |

Danceformer

Russian Federation

I dont know, is it an english word, but in Russia, people use it when the laughing but not so strong as then laughing with "haha". We also use "heehee" "hoho" and "Hyhy". It depend on what you laughing with.

08:29 AM Aug 17 2007 |

Danceformer

Russian Federation

Laughinghaha, hehe,hoho,heehee

08:32 AM Aug 17 2007 |

worldmikel

worldmikel

United States

Is "hehe" onomatopoeia?

onomatopoeia n. The formation or use of words such as buzz or murmur that imitate the sounds associated with the objects or actions they refer to.

Spanish speakers use "jeje".  Supposedly the sound you make when you laugh.

08:47 AM Aug 17 2007 |

aniceguy

China

well, so in a way "hehe" or "heehee" means soft laughing, is that right?

08:50 AM Aug 17 2007 |

sunye

sunye

China

"hehe" from China.

When people are very happy,and then they will laugh.When you laughing,there will be voices.This is the voice of laughter.It sounds like "hehe" or "haha".

When a person give you "hehe" or "haha" in the message.He want to tell you "I'm smiling".

09:58 AM Aug 17 2007 |

Mapleleaf Man

Canada

It beats the heck out of lol! I speak to some people who use hhhhhhh, I use hahaha, others use hehehe but that, to me, sounds like a tiny little laugh. And I have seen it from many parts of the world, not just China. The thing about chat is that you can't see the person, usually, so a hehehe or a hahah, changes something that might sound bad into something funny (hopefully!)

06:07 PM Aug 19 2007 |

cancerh236

cancerh236

Viet Nam

yes ..onomatopoeia …but have a little devilish

06:22 PM Aug 19 2007 |

sunye

sunye

China

"hehe" or "haha" from China are evidences.“呵"and“哈”, they are Chinese characters."呵" the pronunciation is "he" ,and “哈" the pronunciation is "ha" in China."Ha" and "he" is Onomatopoeias。They are described as the laughter。

"hehe" or "haha",they represent loud laugh, happy laughter, ridicule or even arrogant laugh.

Well, what kind of circumstances it represents how kind of laugh?This would be based on your information to judge content。

06:58 PM Aug 19 2007 |

rizanicom

rizanicom

Morocco

i don't think that "hehe" is actually a word since it may be only a symbole Laughingfor laughing

07:08 PM Aug 19 2007 |