Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

English Talk

get toknow

Sandy

Taiwan

<!-==text==begin==-> that’s me again.
Im notso good in English,so I got a lot ofquestions.
hopefully you dont mind.__
Iwant to know what’s the difference between “I’llget to know” and “I’ll know”.
can you show memore examples that use “get to” to change themeaning?
Thank you!
Have a nice day!

Replies:
<!-==10658==0==end==->

07:34 AM Apr 26 2001 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Tanis

United States

<!-==text==begin==-> Hi Sandy!

Thanks somuch for your wonderful questions! Learning touse “get to” can be very confusing, so I’ll do mybest to make it easier for you!

Usually,when we say “get to know” we are referring to theprocess of knowing a person. Knowing a fact isclear: either you know it or you don’t. Knowinga person takes a little bit more time. You needto learn about their feelings and thoughts, theway they react to different situations. Thisprocess of learning about a person is called”getting to know somebody.”

The verb “toget” can mean many different things. When it isused in conjunction with other verbs is usuallymeans to have the opportunity to do something…for example:

“to get to go to the park”means to have the chance to go to the park, do yousee the difference between that and “to go to thepark”?

“to get to stay up late” means tohave the chance to stay awake later at night thanusual. Young children might use this term morefrequently that adults because they are notusually allowed to stay up past theirbedtime.

To “get going” is a slang termthat is commonly used. Literally it means tostart moving, but it can be used to describestarting a project: “I need to get going on mymodel train kit!” or leaving a place after stayingtoo long: “Well, it has been fun seeing you, but Ineed to get going.”

Are you confused yet?I am!!! I think this is enough for today, don’tyou? “Get” is a frustrating verb! If you havemore questions don’t be afraid to ask! I hopethat I helped you at least a littlebit.

Your friend,

Tanis <!-==10658==862==end==->

02:52 PM Apr 26 2001 |

Sandy

Taiwan

<!-==text==begin==-> Tanis,thank you foranswering my questions!!__
I was not confusedbecause you explained very clearly.
Now Iunderstand why the “angels” in the movie”Charlie’s angels” said “so we finally get to meetCharlie” and not “finally meet Charlie” and yes,Ioften heard people say “get to know a person” andnot a fact.
Thank you so much.
Have a niceday!:) <!-==10658==871==end==->

10:07 AM Apr 27 2001 |