Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

English Talk

Grammar problems

gkisseberth

Germany

Hi all,

I am an English teacher working in Colombia and I have a question for the English learners.

What is the most difficult part of English grammar for you? (what gives you the most trouble, or is the hardest for you to remember?

08:28 PM Oct 27 2007 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Sivanthinathan

India

I have problem in speaking english.where I start from to get complete idea?

04:21 AM Oct 31 2007 |

mawasi

India

hai,

i would like to develop my vocabulary but i cant remeber the word in my long term memory what should i do for remembaring more hten 150 words in day how i can do in daily practise which way is better to me.sugest some tips 

thankqCry

11:08 AM Oct 31 2007 |

grisha143

India

hi this is grisha , i hav a problem  , i can't speak on a topic on the spot like how free speech are .could u suggest me how to come over this problem ,

thank u . 

03:27 PM Oct 31 2007 |

bakour

bakour

Syrian Arab Republic

thanks for Ur rating, but u forgot one of the hardist thing to figure out ((The idioms)) in the English which drive me crazy & they r more than what u can image.

03:52 PM Oct 31 2007 |

mr thuy

Viet Nam

i think .how to use the tense is vrey dificult

04:10 PM Oct 31 2007 |

mr thuy

Viet Nam

i’s correct.the present tense

04:13 PM Oct 31 2007 |

mr thuy

Viet Nam

ta la con ma ha ha

04:25 PM Oct 31 2007 |

gkisseberth

Germany

What you can do is to put those words you have learned in topic, group or related words.

This is excellent advice. Try to learn words in groups if you can, for example, learn some words about the weather, or about cars, or about cooking. This will help you to remember them.

Once you have learned some new vocabulary words, try to use them, both in writing and speaking. This will help them to stick in your memory. 

Keep your own vocabulary book for the new words you learn. 

06:01 PM Oct 31 2007 |

gkisseberth

Germany

hi this is grisha , i hav a problem  , i can't speak on a topic on the spot like how free speech are .could u suggest me how to come over this problem ,

I know this is a difficult skill because I am teaching it now to my students who are preparing to take the TOEFL. On that test, those types of questions only allow you 15 seconds to prepare, and then 45 seconds to speak.

The best thing I can advise is to practice. Pick a topic you know about, or an opinion you have and try to talk about it for 30 seconds. Then try again, but speak for 45 seconds. and so on until you can speak for 45-60 seconds.

At first, don´t worry about your pronunciation or grammar, just practice talking until you are more comfortable speaking freely. Then you can work more on delivery and organizing your thoughts.  

06:05 PM Oct 31 2007 |

gkisseberth

Germany

i think .how to use the {present}tense is vrey dificult

The really simple tip is to remember that we usually only use the present tense to talk about habits, or things that happen regularly, or facts. We don´t use it to talk about something happening NOW or in the moment. (for that we use the present progressive)

I take the bus to work everyday (habit)

Frank likes kung-fu movies. (fact) 

I eat breakfast at 8:30 (habit)

Don´t bother me, I´m eating breakfast (right now)

There are exceptions of course. Some verbs are not used in the progressive in most cases, like the verb"to be¨ or  ¨like"  

06:11 PM Oct 31 2007 |