Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Katy Perry

Katy Perry

Date: Feb 23 2009

Themes: Music, Pop Culture

Grammar: Passive Voice

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

One sure way for girl musicians to get a lot of publicity is to kiss other girls. Remember when Madonna and Britney Spears locked lips at the MTV music video awards? Or what about that crazy girl band t.A.T.u., who made out in one of their music videos? And let’s not forget Jill Sobule, who wrote the first song called “I Kissed a Girl” back in 1995.

The pop singer Katy Perry has a song called “I Kissed a Girl” too. It’s made her a huge success on the pop charts, but a controversial figure for some. Listen to Beren and Dale talk about the song and the scandal.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Dale

Dale

Beren

Beren

Dale:  I’m actually a DJ and I do a lot of parties. And one of the ones that’s a number one hit is “I Kissed a Girl.”

Beren:  Oh, I think that’s a number one hit everywhere. I went to a teeny, tiny town and went out dancing…like nobody on the dance floor. All of a sudden, they started playing “I Kissed a Girl,” and girls started making out.

Dale:  Do you think that’s kind of weird though?

Beren:  It’s very weird.

Dale:  This Katy Perry character or person is actually trying to make other girls kinda make out with other girls…I don’t know. Does that seem like a good thing or a bad thing?

Beren:  Do you think the song was written and intended to be like that hit that would make girls slutty on the dance floor?

Dale:  Well, after I started listening to the song, actually it was banned in high schools.

Beren:  I heard that too, actually.

Dale:  Because more girls started doing that. And saying they kissed a girl and they liked it. From rumors I heard also, Katie Perry said that she’s not gonna have sex for a year.

Beren:  I heard that possibly is incorrect, but I don’t know.

Dale:  So do you think she’s very controversial anyway?

Beren:  Somewhat controversial. I mean, maybe. I don’t know. ‘Cause to me she seems more modern day bubble gum pop. Like, really well-written songs actually, ‘cause it’s super catchy.

Dale:  Oh, super catchy.

Beren:  I don’t know, maybe it’s the last line kids can cross now, you know?

Dale:  Mm-hm.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Passive Voice" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

“I Kissed a Girl” is one of the most popular songs right now. Dale is a DJ, and he gets asked to play it all the time. It even gets the crowd excited in tiny towns, like the one Beren visited recently.

Beren and Dale both think the popularity of the song is a little strange. There’s been a lot of controversy over it, and some high schools have even banned it. There have also been some rumors about Katy Perry’s love life. But Beren thinks that even though the singer is somewhat controversial, she has a light, bubble gum pop sound. She and Dale agree that her songs are super catchy.

Beren says that girls kissing other girls might be one of the last controversial subjects. There are a lot of songs out there with violent or sexual lyrics that aren’t as controversial.

Do you think song lyrics are too violent or sexual these days? Does this song deserve all the controversy?

Comments

eduardosoutoSuper Member!

Brazil

I really believe the song lyrics are too violent or sexual these days, especially in my country!

I live in Brazil, and here we have a style of music called FUNK and they sing openly about dirty six and stuff like drugs and money!

It’s sad, because you can see even small children singing those songs! :|

01:03 PM Jun 19 2017 |

Anika_Icecream

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

Her voice Heart Smile

Her eyes are nice too

04:30 PM Jul 27 2015 |

samoorayigirl

Hot & cold….the one u got the way…firework…Roar r the best songs of her i love herrrr _ :D

11:35 AM Oct 18 2013 |

lima58

lima58

United States

She is a super star and she gets away in almost everything! Lol!! Love Hot & cold song!

04:09 PM Aug 09 2013 |

MAHSA1995

MAHSA1995

oh,her voice is such a noise!lol!howwever i like some of her musics,they remind me my good memories!i like “The one that got away”!it is a meaningful song!:)

05:01 PM Jul 14 2013 |

-Benny-

-Benny-

Thailand

hehehh i love her, and her eyes!...she’s very sexy ^ ^

02:47 PM Feb 16 2013 |

Switzerland

she is my favoritive singer her sound is good iam not agree with u Elena i suggest u hear for example:

Hot N Cold

California Gurls Feat Snoop Dogg 

The One That Got Away Acoustic

Wild Awake 

Thinking of you 

and etc

03:52 PM Dec 24 2012 |

ElenA

ElenA

She hasn’t a beautiful voice, but the song is beautiful

10:03 PM Dec 14 2012 |

Liana's Dream

United States

she’s interesting for me,but i love her songs.

11:23 AM Dec 02 2012 |

Love off

Love off

she is very good singer,i like her voice,she’s videos are very different and it’s very good for a singer and when a person listen t her music know she has a different voice.

07:28 AM Oct 14 2012 |

whipiry

whipiry

South Korea

when I saw the footage of locking lips on MTV , I was horrified at first. but at present, those films and videos are common. it can make those women slutty. in the entertainment industry, they want to make a big hit on their stuff, so sometimes they cross the line. i don’t know what is right or wrong. all the things are depending on consumers. but for teenagers, what impact is on them?? i think that’s why schools ban them. but their effort is helpless cause they can see all the things on the internet. the point is to learn how to take that thing. music right now?? too catchy and modern bubble gum pop….i think so.too.

11:16 PM Oct 22 2011 |

Jay.sk

Jay.sk

India

Hi…

04:58 AM Apr 21 2011 |

oumix

Morocco

i love her so much

07:08 PM Dec 23 2010 |

foz12

foz12

Saudi Arabia

I never heard about her before

05:34 PM Aug 06 2010 |

ivyxie

ivyxie

China

I cat't understand Katy Perry's music,it's strange to me

06:37 AM Jul 16 2010 |

Holmes nash phil

Malawi

katy perry is my cute..she sing very well and i like her..the song called i kiss the girl really complet me.. I love this pop singer so much.

10:35 AM Jul 15 2010 |

emmajelly

emmajelly

Canada

I love her music!and she is one of my favourite stars!!!

10:06 AM Apr 10 2010 |

Apple Meneses

Philippines

I love her Music Videos especially the one entitled "Thinking of you" It's really nice. I was able to get what was the story  all about.

07:36 PM Mar 09 2010 |

iam_mai_naja

Thailand

ahha.. katy perry is my fav star.  she's so sweet with her 80's look. love her!! XD

05:54 PM Mar 09 2010 |

ricky1522

United Kingdom

heya katy ….........will u help me in speaking english fluently???????

i shall wait for ur rply…............ok , take care. ur too beautiful..

05:15 PM Mar 09 2010 |

Likes (58):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast