Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Yoga

Yoga

Date: Mar 20 2009

Themes: Health, Hobbies, Religion

Grammar: Future Progressive Tense

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Yoga was developed in India thousands of years ago. Traditionally, people used it not only to get in shape but also as a spiritual practice.

These days, some people treat yoga like any other exercise craze. They do it because they want to get fit and improve their bodies. But for others, yoga offers something more than just physical fitness. Doing yoga helps them feel more focused and relaxed. Listen to Marni try to convince Ella to give yoga a try.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Marni

Marni

Ella

Ella

Marni:  I will be doing yoga tomorrow night at seven o’clock. Would you like to join me?

Ella:  I’m not really sure. What is yoga, what do you like about it so much?

Marni:  Oh, I love yoga. God, it just totally relaxes my mind and helps me focus better. I feel much more flexible.

Ella:  I don’t know, it just seems kind of uncomfortable, with your body contorted in so many awkward positions.

Marni:  Oh, really? It’s such a great stretch, and you just feel so relaxed. And it’s so good for your entire body. It’s really good for your back.

Ella:  What do you think of your yogi? Is that person pretty laid back, or…

Marni:  Yes. I love my yoga instructor. And we actually all refer to ourselves as yogis because when you practice yoga you are a yogi.

Ella:  Oh, interesting.

Marni:  Yeah. It’s nice to give yourself a little title. But it’s wonderful. I’ve been doing it for a few years now, and I just feel so much better about, you know, my whole body and my mind when I do it.

Ella:  Maybe I might reconsider.

Marni:  Yeah, a little practice, a little downward dog. Want to practice right now?

Ella:  Yeah, let’s do it.

Marni:  OK.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Future Progressive Tense" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Marni invites Ella to go to a yoga class with her. Ella is skeptical, so Marni tells her all the reasons why she loves yoga.

Some people say that there’s a mind-body connection. When you do good things for your body, your mind feels better, too. And when you have lots of negative thoughts or emotions, you might experience pain or discomfort in your body. For Marni, yoga makes both her mind and her body feel better.

Have you ever done yoga? Do you do it for your mind, your body, or your spirit?

Comments

Olivine

Olivine

Indonesia

I love it. It gives positive effects in the body, mind and soul. Those things influence each other. Of course stiff people can do it, some practitioners were on that stage before (yogi term is more profound imo). A good quote by Mark Stephens “It is not about how far you go, but how you go”

02:16 PM Jan 13 2015 |

DominikLi

DominikLi

China

When my mom do this,all I can think is:Will she be hurt?Such strange movements!

09:13 AM Jan 21 2013 |

1 person likes this

Hermina

Armenia

I have never practice yoga, but I would like to dp,

10:19 AM Nov 05 2012 |

Some of spring

Russian Federation

I had a hard time when I was starting my yoga practice. Yoga helped me to keep calm and to find a new point of view. It was about 4 years ago. That hard time has overed, but I do practice almost every day. It gives me strength and hope. And it really changes me.

04:40 AM Feb 08 2012 |

yolanda880130

Philippines

i like do yoga,it’s not just good for body,also it can help my mind feel calm and relaxed

12:30 AM Jun 26 2011 |

1 person likes this

andrespretty2

Colombia

I'd like to practice Yoga, and to get all the benefits, like to have a better concentration in some activities, and also get in shape, but i think it'd be very difdficult for me 'cause i don't have good stretch.

03:18 AM Dec 31 2010 |

1 person likes this

bluesaphir

bluesaphir

Switzerland

Paramahansa Yogananda :)

12:48 AM Dec 17 2010 |

victor chidi

Nigeria

i like yoga because it helps ur body to be flesible

04:53 PM Jun 13 2010 |

SANG891

SANG891

Hong Kong

I have followed Yoga Book to practice it in the past.  It not only improve our shape, but also our health.  For the elder Chinese, they prefer to learn "Tai Chi" instead of Yoga or other excited action because of their age.  If you do not have much spare time, foot massage is another wonderful way to improve your health.  I do it myself once watch TV.  It can save a lot of time.

03:28 PM Mar 20 2010 |

tanimachi

tanimachi

Japan

I wonder how those who have stiff bodies start yoga. They can't bend and make a pose. Starting from a mere stretching, not yoga?

07:10 AM Dec 09 2009 |

DaeNg

DaeNg

Thailand

Smile I like Yoga because it is the best for people who getting old because it very soft for body when changing to another type .Smile 

05:45 AM Nov 19 2009 |

huynh-kieuoanh

Viet Nam

I like Yoga very much, but the fee for joining a Yoga class at HCMC is not cheap at all, 'cause Yoga is still not popular in Vietnam, then I decide to explore such interesting exercise later on. Now I focus on swimming as it's my most favorite one now, and I love it very much, every early morning, I go swimming at the swimming poor near my house, then I have a breakfast, and go to work. Life is so beautiful hihihi

09:13 AM Oct 23 2009 |

huynh-kieuoanh

Viet Nam

I like Yoga very much, but the fee for joining a Yoga class at HCMC is not cheap at all, 'cause Yoga is still not popular in Vietnam, then I decide to explore such interesting exercise later on. Now I focus on swimming as it's my most favorite one now, and I love it very much, every early morning, I go swimming at the swimming poor near my house, then I have a breakfast, and go to work. Life is so beautiful hihihi

09:13 AM Oct 23 2009 |

1 person likes this

*AIR*

*AIR*

Russian Federation

Yoga is for spirit exactly.

02:22 PM Aug 20 2009 |

sadrahafez

sadrahafez

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

I love Yoga and I exercise sometimes. I have never gone to a Yoga class. I just bought a Yoga book (years a go) and I did exercises step by step. It was so helpful in swimming and other sports, ballet & even balance. I think everybody needs a few of these kind exercises.

04:56 PM Apr 03 2009 |

1 person likes this

sbiletnikov

Belarus

LaughingI have started to do yoga. Yes, it's exciting art to feel the body in a different way. Yoga cleans my mind too.

09:24 PM Mar 26 2009 |

shr6ya-ko0ol

Kuwait

ummmm,, yoga very wonderful exercise. Really it makes you relax and confortable. I did it in my collage club

very flexible, I advise every one do it 

05:55 PM Mar 26 2009 |

Marcelolic

Marcelolic

Brazil

Certainly yoga is great way to join mind and body,it helps to cure several deseases and improve the immunity :)

12:54 PM Mar 26 2009 |

Likes (64):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast