Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

The Hangover

The Hangover

Date: Jul 22 2009

Themes: Party

Grammar: Definite & Indefinite Articles

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

After a night of heavy drinking, you might wake up with a headache and an upset stomach. After a night of really heavy drinking, you might wake up in a trashed room, discover that one of your friends is missing, and have no idea what happened to you the night before.

That’s the premise of The Hangover, a new comedy about a groom and his three groomsmen, who have a bachelor party in Las Vegas that gets totally out of control. Marni recently saw the movie. Listen to her explain to Mason why she thinks it’s the classic dude comedy of the summer.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Marni

Marni

Mason

Mason

Marni:  So have you seen the classic dude comedy of the summer?

Mason:  I don’t know.

Marni:  The Hangover?

Mason:  I’ve honestly been too busy getting my own hangovers to go see The Hangover, but I want to.

Marni:  I have to say, it’s pretty funny. I just went in like no expectations, just needing some escapism. And it’s classic, you know, bachelor party gone awry.

Mason:  OK, because the trailer is leading me to believe it’s got like a really dark side to it. Like I…

Marni:  It is a little dark, but the three main guys are really funny.

Mason:  Well I can only assume that the wonderful, hilarious antics of The Hangover are the kind of things that normal bachelor party attendees would want to stay in Vegas, rather than be made into a feature film.

Marni:  Right. And they use that line, the whole “Whatever happens in Vegas stays in Vegas.” They actually use that line in the film. And it sort of like lives up to that. That’s sort of what the story is all about. Like, “Oh my god, this can never leave Vegas because it’s just too insane.”

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Definite & Indefinite Articles" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Marni recently saw the comedy The Hangover. She was surprised by how much she liked the movie, because she hadn’t known what to expect. The three actors who star in it are really funny, and the humor is somewhat immature, but hilarious.

Bachelor parties are known for getting a little wild. And Vegas is known as being a wild town. There’s even a famous saying about Las Vegas that “Whatever happens in Vegas stays in Vegas.” In other words, you can go to Vegas and have a crazy time, and when you go home nobody will know about what you did. The Hangover takes place in Vegas, and Marni says it lives up to the stereotype about the city being a crazy place where anything can happen.

Have you ever had a wild night like the guys in The Hangover? Do you think it would be fun to go to Las Vegas?

Comments

Sandra95

Sandra95

Sweden

hangover3 had diffrent subject i didnt like that .but 1 was better i laught alot.

04:27 PM Jul 27 2013 |

1 person likes this

Ngubo Sixtus

South Africa

i do like this funny movie

04:57 AM Jul 04 2012 |

1 person likes this

Johntaressa

Åland Islands

Hi this is Kaj Neve and I love to watch comedy movies and this is one of my favrite now am waiting for the 3rd part.

08:14 AM Feb 28 2012 |

Vina Novalina

Indonesia

Hangover, so damn funny movie i ever watched, it made me curl up and laugh all the time LMAOTongue out

07:45 PM Dec 06 2011 |

genilanderson

United States

The Hangover is the funniest movie ever made.Its funny from start to finish.Anyone who want to enjoy this comedy movie Watch movies online from this good resource..

07:11 AM Mar 11 2011 |

isvecan

Turkey

i have seen the hangover it was funny.. you shoul watch it if you like funnymovies

10:06 PM Mar 08 2011 |

Clauss

Clauss

Ukraine

one of the best comedy I've ever seen. I hadn't laughed so much for a long time. And the antic who played bride's bro is the spice of this film.

06:22 PM Jul 30 2009 |

Aus_LT

Aus_LT

Lithuania

i see thi movie and it was very funny.

09:01 AM Jul 27 2009 |

tiagon85

Brazil

That is the movie i want to see. I like this kind of comedy to get a hilarious time. Actually, my next trip abroad will certainly be to Las Vegas!!! 

03:11 PM Jul 26 2009 |

ChackWang

ChackWang

China

funny

02:22 PM Jul 25 2009 |

DemonHazar

Ukraine

LaughingIt is really pretty funny

12:40 PM Jul 25 2009 |

Ray81191837

China

It sounds funny …I like comedy movieLaughing

I will research this movie online….

12:18 AM Jul 25 2009 |

sofree

sofree

China

No, never hangover for me…  I've read the storyline of The Hangover, it's not my type, basically I'm not crazy about comedy.

Of course, it'll be fun to go to Las Vagas, it will be fun to go to any other country. :)

05:15 AM Jul 24 2009 |

boddi

China

It souds this movie is very funny,I love this the comedy movie like this:bride and groom,gamble,party and so on.I think the ending of this movie will be very sweet and funny.

01:05 AM Jul 24 2009 |

michelle 101

Jamaica

hi

09:54 PM Jul 23 2009 |

velvetons

Brazil

Hello Hannah nana…. when you see a big exclamation point (!) next to the link it means it is only avaiable for "supers". However there are still some pretty cool stuff for free.

As for the movie… I guess it hasn't come out here in Brazil yet, but I'd probably not be interested in watching it… but I may give it a try, who knows?

08:06 PM Jul 23 2009 |

miffoo

miffoo

Slovakia

Yeah, it's coooool comedy :))

05:51 PM Jul 23 2009 |

Hannah_nana

China

Do you guys need to pay first before you take the lesson? every time i chick " Listen toXXXX" they alwys say "this is super here"

01:32 PM Jul 23 2009 |

sugar2

sugar2

China

I like the picture。。。i think it's funny…

so i want to see it!

10:44 AM Jul 23 2009 |

春子

春子

China

i ve been receiving emails when ppl replied to the lesson.

just a trial to see if i can cancel it…

07:41 AM Jul 23 2009 |

Likes (28):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog: