Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Jarhead

Jarhead

Date: Nov 09 2005

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Jarhead is the story of a group of marines in the war zone. It reflects the current condition of troops in Iraq.
Listen to Dave and Taylor talk about the movie.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Taylor

Taylor

Dave

Dave

Taylor:  So, you were telling me about this new movie with Jake Gyllenhaal, Jarhead. What’s it all about?

Dave:  Yeah, Jarhead. It follows, you know, a platoon of marines. I guess they’re supposed to be in Iraq. I don’t know if it says explicitly. But, it follows them through, you know, their experiences day-to-day in a war zone.

Taylor:  Mm hmm. Does it show them go through boot camp and the transition from civilian life to army life?

Dave:  Yeah, it does. I don’t know too much about it. I haven’t seen it. I’ve only seen the previews, but I know it focuses kind of on the whole experience of being a marine.

Taylor:  Yeah.

Dave:  And it does it, kind of, in an apolitical way, It doesn’t really take sides for or against the war…

Taylor:  Mm hmm.

Dave:  ...just comments on, you know, the life of a soldier.

Taylor:  I’ve heard there are some elements of investigating cases of shell shock in it, you know, from the first Iraqi war.

Dave:  Yeah.

Taylor:  What kind of elements of that did you see, at least in the preview?

Dave:  It makes some commentary about people who have a difficulty adapting back into society after having been in a war. And the movie apparently took a real toll on the actors themselves because it was so intense that, after certain scenes, they didn’t speak to each other for weeks or even months at a time. It just goes to show that war is a very intense condition.

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

A popular saying among soldiers is, “Ours is not to question why. Ours is but to do and die.” This means that a soldier should not ask questions about what he is told to do, he should just obey and do what he is told.
What do you think about this saying? Are there similar expressions in the military in your country?

Comments

chirinosoe

chirinosoe

Peru

muy interesante….

03:55 AM Nov 17 2005 |

Likes (5):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace