Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

split up

split up

Date: Aug 19 2010

Themes: Romance

1. Quote - Listen to the quote and guess what the slang means.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

“My wife and I were talking about splitting up, but neither of us wants to take the children. That’s our joke.”

- Actor Jerry O’Connell on raising twin daughters. (People)

Definition

1. Definition - Study the definition.

break up; end a relationship

2. Use - Learn how the slang is used.

A split can be a good thing or a bad thing. If you split a piece of cake, you take part of the slice and someone else takes another part. That’s good. If you split the bill with someone, you each pay a portion of the check at a restaurant. That’s OK, too.

But when a couple splits up, they go their separate ways. They end their relationship, or break up. That’s not so good.

The actor Jerry O’Connell and his model wife, Rebecca Romijn, have twin toddler girls. He says that raising twins is really hard. He even jokes that he and his wife would split up if only they could agree on who would take the kids, since neither of them would want to keep them! Since there are two of them, one solution would be to split up the girls. Then each parent could take one kid. And one toddler has to be better than two.

Have you ever split up with someone? What made you end the relationship?

Examples

1. Examples - Hear some example sentences.

“Annie decided to split up with her boyfriend when she found out he had cheated on her.”

“I can’t believe Ellen and Tom split up; I thought they would be together forever.”

Splitting up is always hard no matter why it happens.”

Winners

1. Winners - See who guessed the slang definition correctly.

zeus2006 To get separated, get divorced. If two people split up, or if someone or something splits them up, they end their relationship or marriage.
by zeus2006Super Member!
becmoon Divorce
by becmoonSuper Member!
break up, divorce, separate
by DecapitatedLucia
-Tiago- to get a divorce
by -Tiago-
it means to get seperate, or to get divorce in order to get seperate from each other.
by cherry sweet
crumarina It means "end of a relationship"
by crumarina
Mostafa5 When peoples want end a relationship or marriage with each other.
by Mostafa5
chomo to cut off relationships
by chomo
zeinabou to separate
by zeinabou
Gellerke break up, end a relationship
by Gellerke
Break a marriage, divorce
by Gucci Yeung
to split up in this sentence means to divorce
by monacovalentina
why not ?! get a divorce
by why not ?!

Want to guess next week's slang?

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Comments

rosendo

rosendo

Mexico

i live with some friends and we split up the duties of the house , pay the rent , everything inside the house …
talking abt a relationship when u split someone up is maybe bcs u are sick of she or the love left.

04:03 PM Aug 23 2010 |

mary888

mary888

Jordan

Ive split up once but Im still into him…Cry I wish for him a happy life

09:03 PM Aug 22 2010 |

Kotisha

Kotisha

Russian Federation

When a couple has lots of problems, don`t love each other any more usually they decide to split up! Sometimes one of the couple himself/herself decides to end a relationship. Maybe he or she had found someone, who he fell in love…

But in many cases it`s very difficult for people to overcome a divorce…

as for me, several times I ended relationships with my ex-boyfriends…and really it was very difficult for me, I needed time to forget them….

04:02 PM Aug 22 2010 |

fikas

fikas

Azerbaijan

Hi everybody.I wanna dont want that who married and end split up.Especially in Europe to split up is ordinary.But in my life to split up is tragedy.I cannot imagine to split up.I wish happiness everybody.

10:52 AM Aug 21 2010 |

suse

suse

Iraq

i can imagine how hard is to split up with some one who is dear to you or atleast was near to you once in a time .. but still the both has to head off straight with their life -

"" btw i hv never been into these kind of break up stuff "" but still i said i can imagine :p :D

07:48 PM Aug 20 2010 |

Jodikl

France

Split up means end relationships or marriage. For example : My friend and her husband are splitting up after 15 years of marriage.

07:48 AM Aug 20 2010 |

seljukian

seljukian

Turkey

to end a relationship

07:31 AM Aug 20 2010 |

Yekoglan

Yekoglan

Azerbaijan

I think it means break down relationships or marriage

05:54 AM Aug 20 2010 |

chauphungn

chauphungn

United States

"splitting up is hard no matter why it happens", i agree, it's a good quote

04:13 AM Aug 20 2010 |

Marcelolic

Marcelolic

Brazil

When a relationship is going bad the best thing for both is really split up 'cause insisting in a bad relationship is silliness!

11:11 PM Aug 19 2010 |

Zaccarias

Zaccarias

Brazil

As a pastor I need to say that marriage is forever. Only the death can split them. But we can't wait for a Christian behavior if they aren't believers.

05:59 PM Aug 19 2010 |

Gucci Yeung

China

I'm just to say, poor kids…

03:28 PM Aug 19 2010 |

abdi samed

abdi samed

Somalia

it means to get divorce or get seperate becouse off misunderstanding I guess its big misfortune to break up the marriage….. I can say " my best friend and I were split up when someone told him/her unexisting things about him/her as a gossip so that, now we can,t even look face-to-face let along to talk" is this example fun or not. .... if there are some mistakes in my example no matter I gonna test how I figure out this alert slang. ...... 

12:36 PM Aug 19 2010 |

An-china

An-china

Germany

Split up means to forget someone.-To start a new life,it's not a bad thing in someway. 

If we're tired to get touch with somebody,just split up.It's good for each other,in my opinion.

11:13 AM Aug 19 2010 |

Judy_china

Judy_china

China

Break up

07:24 AM Aug 19 2010 |

sam_moh

sam_moh

Yemen

the most importance is to keep up with your couple and get along with too , the nice life is to have a harmony with who u love , as for me till I've passed that way once not that far ago it's closer but I can accept it in the end as destiny , that what made me end the relationship is that my partner dislikes me  :( poor love which is from one side and poor the victim of that , the wiser who accepts All as it comes if there would not be any solution thereafter :) hope I will not pass that try sooner , I adore endless entire relationship exactly with holly contract ( Marriage) :)

04:53 AM Aug 19 2010 |

mickee85

mickee85

Philippines

Robert Pattinson and Kristen Stewart of twilight saga are officially dating, I'm hoping they won't split up or else the Breaking Dawn will be ruined.

04:00 AM Aug 19 2010 |

stubbornsjb

China

Oh my! I just split up with my girlfriend last night! The lesson is for me? 

01:32 AM Aug 19 2010 |

juliewo

China

end the ralationship,then start again

01:22 AM Aug 19 2010 |

Likes (13):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter