Home Decorating

简体
Home Decorating
家居装饰

Date: Oct 01 2010

Themes: Family

Grammar: Simple Past Tense

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Sometimes life feels like a routine, and you need to make a change. When you start to get bored with your surroundings, you can always redecorate your space. Rearranging furniture, painting the walls, or hanging some new artwork can transform your home and shake things up.

But home decorating can also be an expensive and time consuming project. Some people do it deliberately, going room by room and carefully sticking to a specific color scheme. Others collect furniture and decorations piece by piece without worrying about whether or not they match, creating eclectic spaces.

Mason recently bought a new home. Hear him share his decorating plans with Marni.

有时,生活似乎一成不变,而你真得需要一些新鲜的东西来调剂调剂。当你对周围环境感到厌倦的时候,你可以重新装饰你的空间:重新摆放家具、粉刷墙壁、或者挂上一些新的艺术品——这些都可以改变你的家居氛围,使其焕然一新。
但是,家居装饰也可能成为昂贵而耗时的项目。有些人会深思熟虑,一个房间一个房间的装饰,严格执行色彩设计方案。而另外一些人则会随心所好地将一件一件家居饰品搬回家,绝不担心它们是否相配,最终形成混搭风格的家居。
梅森(Mason)最近买了一所新房子。让我们来听听他和玛尼(Marni)分享他的装饰计划吧。

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Marni

Marni

Mason

Mason

Marni:  So Mason, I know you recently purchased a home.

Mason:  I did. I did indeed.

Marni:  And I’m kinda wondering, how’s the decorating coming?

Mason:  It is slow but steady. We did some painting first off.

Marni:  OK.

Mason:  And that was, you know, a whole debacle trying to pick what colors, what our palette was.

Marni:  That can be tricky.

Mason:  Absolutely. But you know we did it ourselves, we didn’t hire anybody, so we saved a lot of money, which was nice.

Marni:  Yes.

Mason:  But the big thing is like we kinda had a whole thrift store, flea market aesthetic, just we inherited a lot of hand-me-down pieces. And now we’re kinda like, let’s be deliberate, let’s find nice things and pick a style.

Marni:  So you’re kinda doing a makeover, it sounds like.

Mason:  Absolutely. And it’s gonna just take forever, because not only do my wife and I have different tastes, but it’s expensive to buy new things.

Marni:  It is, indeed. But I personally love decorating, and I sort of love the hunt of like finding great deals, and finding pieces that, you know, I just think are really special. And I think, though, there’s small things you can do like just repainting your room or moving things around even, changing things from room to room can just give your house a brand new look. So good luck to you!

Mason:  You want to do it for me?

Marni:  No. I’ve got my own to do.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Simple Past Tense" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Mason recently bought a house. Now he and his wife get to decorate it. But decorating can be a slow and expensive process. Mason and his wife started by painting the house. When it comes to buying furniture, they can’t get everything they want all at once. Over time they come to collect nice new pieces that will suit both their tastes.

Marni loves decorating. She thinks there are a lot of little things you can do to make your house a home. You can paint or rearrange your furniture. Marni also loves searching for just the right piece to complete the look of a room.

Do you like decorating your home? What is your home decorating style? Where do you find furniture and decorations for your house or apartment?

Comments

Simonking

United Kingdom

site. http://www.cheapgrass.co.uk/ :: http://www.cheapgrass.co.uk/product-category/shop-by-range/

Artificial grass and cheap artificial grass

06:53 AM Apr 28 2016 |

ElenA

ElenA

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

This is my lovely job

09:33 PM Jan 07 2013 |

deadmeitly

deadmeitly

China

My job is a factory inside make design, but I still a novice, our factory mainly produces LED lighting, household lighting and many! I like decorate my home, my family's style is according to oneself idea to decorate, maybe I could in the lamp can make some small comment!

02:18 AM Oct 29 2010 |

1 person likes this

melamarc

melamarc

Philippines

im not really good in decorating a home. my cousin is an interior designer, so she help me things work out in my house.

05:34 AM Oct 27 2010 |

1 person likes this

Marcelolic

Marcelolic

Brazil

Hummm this is the first time that I'm decorating my own place….I have just rented a flat so now I'm buying some things to fill the empty places hehe…It was so funny 'cause I started to decorating my bedroom,after my kitchen and now it is missing my living room because this one is still empty :P

11:21 PM Oct 25 2010 |

kukuka

kukuka

Ukraine

I find things I need for my apartment in stores, I doubt if it's wise to buy used things (the only exception is probably an apartment itself), because there is nothing better then new stuff in your new home. That's my opinion.

04:52 PM Oct 07 2010 |

Zambuka

Zambuka

United States

It’s certainly my cup of tea :) i really like it, and i hope i’ll manage to decorate my house the way i want to :)

10:53 PM Oct 06 2010 |

Jasmine Nilar

Myanmar

i also like cozy home decoration  .... but if only somebody does it for me Sealed

06:49 AM Oct 06 2010 |

rosendo

rosendo

Mexico

Home Decorating is a hard thing , believe me , i just recently change from a new apartment , the idea was good , bcs all is new ,but  the progress  turned too hard , so i hate Decorate hahaha

10:09 PM Oct 05 2010 |

lolekesh

lolekesh

I like decordingKiss

07:16 PM Oct 04 2010 |

luz.dosolhos

Brazil

I enjoy decorating my home. I believe that is important  to be feel comfortable being in a home that you like, and decorating it,  makes it even better. You can add your taste to any kind of style, you can rearrange then, and make it looks just like the way you want it to be. That is why I love decorating my home.

12:01 AM Oct 04 2010 |

asias

Mexico

Home decoration in my opinion is a boring thing but you know women like their home to be nice and special for that reason they always like to spend money to buy a new furniture and decoration, and git rid of old stuff. 

11:16 PM Oct 03 2010 |

spider.pete78

Indonesia

Home decorating? such a hassle. I don't really like to decorate my room. I prefer something steady, not many shake-ups. Choosing a perfect palette is such a headache and I'd rather give away hand-me-down stuff than keep it in my closet.

11:08 PM Oct 03 2010 |

jurmala1

jurmala1

Germany

Home decorating is a fine thing. I prefer a broken styl, where a modern furniture mixes with a antique pieces. And a lot of flowers. hahaha. Mostly i like to move a furniture. Then i feel to live in comletely new invironment.

10:19 PM Oct 03 2010 |

Romio79

Romio79

Russian Federation

Well when it's time to shake my home up I'm ready to spend some time to choose appropriate things for decoration. Although it's really time consuming process for me 'cause you have to visit several stores in order to find things you like I prefer to spend my time once but then enjoy the decoration for some years.

02:09 PM Oct 03 2010 |

pamodoujarra

Gambia

I like decorating my house because it makes the house look clean and spacious. House decorating tells what kind of a person you are & people respect you in that sense.

11:53 AM Oct 03 2010 |

dearpesar

dearpesar

i love decorating and i think that is really artistic thingSmile

04:32 AM Oct 03 2010 |

s id

Saudi Arabia

I personally very like decorating home . every year i often repainting my home and get changing  some furniture or moving things around  . 

08:59 PM Oct 02 2010 |

lmoo

lmoo

Saudi Arabia

I love decoratingLaughing

08:32 PM Oct 02 2010 |

Gwaks

Gwaks

Brazil

I definetely don't like doing those kind of stuffs….. I would say I am one of those lazy guys who even hire someone to clean his place..hahaha

03:27 PM Oct 02 2010 |

Likes (26):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast