Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

take the edge off

take the edge off

Date: Jan 20 2011

1. Quote - Listen to the quote and guess what the slang means.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

“I have a martini before I leave—just to take the edge off of it!”

-Actress Emily Blunt on how she deals with her nerves at awards shows. (Us Weekly)

Definition

1. Definition - Study the definition.

make less difficult, stressful or painful

2. Use - Learn how the slang is used.

You’d think a famous movie star would be comfortable in any public situation. But Emily Blunt says awards shows make her nervous. When she needs to relax before hitting the red carpet, she finds that nothing takes the edge off quite like a martini.

Edgy is another word for nervous. You can also say that a nervous or anxious person is on edge. So by taking the edge off, you get rid of that nervous, edgy feeling.

Drinking isn’t the only way to take the edge off. Some people take the edge off by exercising, talking with a friend, or simply taking a couple of deep breaths.

What do you do to take the edge off when you’re feeling anxious?

Examples

1. Examples - Hear some example sentences.

“I like to have a glass of wine after work to take the edge off, especially if I’ve had a long day.”

“Running helps me take the edge off. “

“Mary is an anxious person, but her husband is laid back and helps her take the edge off. “

Winners

1. Winners - See who guessed the slang definition correctly.

jerryjeff just to unwind, relax off of it.
by jerryjeff
Pezhman02 doing something to relieve on's burden in a tensed situation
by Pezhman02
Alex 85 To free your mind and body from unnecessary and annoying thoughts and feelings.
by Alex 85
zeinabou to calm down
by zeinabou
Gaby313 to make make it easier.
by Gaby313
lizfratta to calm down. to keep the control when something makes us feel worried.
by lizfratta

Want to guess next week's slang?

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Comments

Marcelolic

Marcelolic

Brazil

Humm this is a little hard to deal with but let’s go…First I try to breathe deeply,so after I try to calm down myself and finally I try to solve out the situation…In fact it’s a too complex to deal with nervous,mainly for anxious person :P

03:06 PM Aug 12 2012 |

Irishkin

Russian Federation

I usually write something in my diary to take the edge off. It helps me to unburden my mind from anxious thoughts.

06:34 PM Feb 07 2011 |

silence!

silence!

Saudi Arabia

when i feel tension or sadness,i hold on pen and write poetry to take the edge off it .

11:34 AM Feb 03 2011 |

Zambuka

Zambuka

United States

I usually hold the pen or staple to take the edge off of it))) it really helps_)

09:02 PM Jan 24 2011 |

marcusvs

Brazil

I just take a sip of rum…. that makes me take the edge off of anything..

11:48 AM Jan 24 2011 |

mshare

mshare

Saudi Arabia

it sometimes seems difficult to take the edge off so i always try to avoid myself involving in a hard sitaution but if it happens i breathe deeply to get rid of edgy feelings .

08:06 AM Jan 24 2011 |

filip.k

filip.kSuper Member!

Poland

I run few miles along a river, to take the edge off. If I do it few times a week, it makes me feel strong Smile

05:41 PM Jan 23 2011 |

miss_eos

miss_eos

Viet Nam

It's not easy for me to take the edge off. sometimes I just let it go and try to look on the bright side of things. But the best way i guess is a good preparation for any even you're gonna take part in.

05:18 PM Jan 23 2011 |

jiahui.lei

jiahui.lei

China

i don't know how to take the edge off when i am on test

08:24 AM Jan 23 2011 |

cococheng

Taiwan

When I'm feeling anxious or stressed, I'll take some deep breaths, smile and tell myself that it's gonna be OK.  This way to help me taking the edge off.

08:47 AM Jan 22 2011 |

mazincomm

Sudan

I taking the edge off by talking with my beloved and watching Parclona matches.

07:11 AM Jan 22 2011 |

Salem Omar

Salem Omar

Malaysia

when i'm feeling anxious i read the holy qura'an i talk to my mother to take the edge off

02:57 AM Jan 22 2011 |

lintopd

lintopd

India

whenever my prof ask me to take seminar or any other speach in our class , i used to struggle to take the edge off..!

12:35 PM Jan 21 2011 |

promise2

promise2

Saudi Arabia

if I am narvous or edgy I pray or read the Holy Quraan to take the edge off  .

really it is amazing way  : )

12:54 AM Jan 21 2011 |

lucklin

lucklin

Taiwan

Excerise is the best for me.

12:01 AM Jan 21 2011 |

mona muhmmed

Yemen

hi i wanna understand how i can b good for what r u give for us like ( take the edge off )

thnx 

11:57 AM Jan 20 2011 |

Zaccarias

Zaccarias

Brazil

The Holy Bible Always teaches us about it: Philippians 46 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.  8 Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. 1 Peter 56 Humble yourselves, therefore, under God’s mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time. 7 Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.  May God Blass you all!

10:17 AM Jan 20 2011 |

immortal_mahsa

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

yes…i agree with him. sure:) and i need your pray also.. good luck

10:03 AM Jan 20 2011 |

Ebaby !

Ebaby !

Egypt

thank you immortal_mahsa, you know what i feel while reading Qura'an? i feel that nothing worth it nothing worth to be worried and i remember a word one of my friends said to me and he is from English baby but not now and i miss him so much . he said "WORRYING does not take away tomorrow’s TROUBLES, It takes away today’s PEACE." please pray for him also .

08:48 AM Jan 20 2011 |

immortal_mahsa

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

as ebaby said i think read the holy quran is the best way to take the edge off:)

08:36 AM Jan 20 2011 |

Likes (20):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast