Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in
Do You Understand This Dialogue?

Do You Understand This Dialogue?

Date: Feb 15 2011

Topic: Idioms and Slang

Author: englishteacher24/7

Lesson

Two older men greeted each other, one says to the other, "how's it going young man?  The other man said, "heavy on the young!"

Do you understand what the second man meant by "heavy on the young?"

Comments

englishteacher24/7

United States

Hello, Samine, it’s so good to hear from you again.

I hope post college life is good to you.

The explanation for the phrase “Heavy on the young” was recently posted on January 28, 2018. Please scroll down to that date for your answer.

In addition, I invite you to read the latest Lesson No. 94 on Double Meaning Words which was posted on February 15, 2018 and the explanation was posted on February 16, 2018.

I look forward to your continued participation as before. Welcome back! 

Sally, your words are priceless. Thanks!

04:35 AM Feb 26 2018 |

samine_sh

samine_sh

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

Hello ..im very glad to be here and read your lesson again..about the idiom..heavy on the young  ..i sort of get it..

08:59 PM Feb 22 2018 |

sally_gallego

Philippines

I totally agree with Baset! Sir, you  always devote  yourself heart and soul to your lessons, making sure that everyone here understands. 😊   You’re spectacular!

02:12 AM Feb 22 2018 |

englishteacher24/7

United States

Baset (Last Joke), Mark Twain made the following statement: “I can live 2 months on a good compliment.” 

Your honest compliment and feedback inspires me to continue to serve the English learners needs to learn the English language which can be beneficial and lucrative in the global marketplace.

Please stay tuned for more lessons and some on the other forums such as The Round Table Discussion Forum.

Once again, thanks for your positive input and have a nice day!

06:37 AM Feb 21 2018 |

The Last Joke

Yemen

Dear Mr.  Alston

In fact  :

1- You are So brief in all your lessons.

2- Your lessons are not dull and are filling in the website ( Ebaby ) with joy and heart warming words.

3- You always post your lessons to us in a manner so that they look as if they have been written from the heart.

4 – In all your lessons : You always Do not forget to mention that how much we mean to you !

Honestly..
Nothing in Ebaby is more wonderful than your Lessons .

Dear Mr.  Alston

Have a nice weekend !

Baset

09:56 PM Feb 18 2018 |

englishteacher24/7

United States

Last Joke, I am humbled by your accolades for Lesson No. 94. It is my pleasure to write in this forum to promote critical thinking for the readers and students of English. Please feel free to read in the archives (older lessons) for additional insight.

Thanks for your feedback!

10:32 PM Feb 17 2018 |

The Last Joke

Yemen

Mr Englishteacher …..so wonderful …so great …thank you so much ..i really like it …I got it 

05:55 PM Feb 16 2018 |

englishteacher24/7

United States

Last Joke, I’m impressed with your efforts to answer the lesson question. You get an “A” for your efforts :). However, you concluded Item A has value but Item B doesn’t. The explanation is provided to help you and others in your thinking in English.

(Lesson 94  was posted on 2/15/18)

Explanation of Lesson No. 94 – Double Meaning Words

1. Item A and Item B are being evaluated to determine if they have value.

2. The word “worthless” means to have No value.  The root or base word is “worth” which means to have value. However, by adding the suffix “less” onto the word “worthless” makes it the opposite of the base word. Therefore, the meaning goes from worth something to not worth something.

3. The word “worth” “less” is two separate words separated by adding a space between the two words. It is not one word as it is in “worthless.” In the case of the meaning of “worth” it is the same as before which is to have value. However, the word “less” when used by itself does not mean No value but of a lesser value.

4. To answer the question “are they both (Item A & B) worthless” the answer is no because the Assessor determined that Item A was Not worthless but of a lesser value than Item B.

For example, let’s put a value on Item A and Item B for the sake of understanding.

Item A = $5.00     Item B=$10.00

Question:

Are they both worthless (no value) 

Answer:

No, they both have value but Item A has less value than Item B. 

The key to understanding this lesson is to understand that when a suffix is separated from a base word it changes the meaning. For more information on prefixes and suffixes here’s a link to a lesson on it in the “Inside the Language”  forum. 

http://englishbaby.com/lessons/5742/member_submitted/inside_the_language

Once there, scroll down to the post date 8/19/17

If there are any additional questions or comments on the lesson, please feel free to write them on the forum. 

Good job Last Joke!

04:43 PM Feb 16 2018 |

The Last Joke

Yemen

If I am alright ..I think that your Q is :

What is difference between Item A ” worth less” and Item B ” worthless ” ?

Is there any difference between ” worth less ” and ” worthless” ?

Yes , there is difference between them , because ,” worth less” has a value and “worthless” hasn’t  . 

They aren’t worthless ..A has a value and B hasn’t .

05:28 AM Feb 16 2018 |

englishteacher24/7

United States

Last Joke, that’s a very good question. Item A & Item B are symbolic of representing two unspecified items that are being compared to each other regarding their relative worth.

In other words, for the purpose of this lesson, it doesn’t matter what the specific value is because the question is whether or not they both are worthless, and if not, why?

Hint: Understand the difference between ”worthless” and “worth less” and you’ll have the answer.

I plan to provide the explanation this weekend to give others an opportunity to answer.

02:17 AM Feb 16 2018 |

The Last Joke

Yemen

Ex
 ðŸ”´A Word has Double Meaning :

ðŸ”µIn Arabic we have two different words for the two different meaning of the word Medicine in English .

1- Doctors use medicine to treat diseases.
 âž¡Here Medicine means Drugs دواء
2.- The work of preventing diseases is known as preventive Medicine.
 âž¡Here Medicine means Treatment . طب وقائي

12:03 AM Feb 16 2018 |

englishteacher24/7

United States

Lesson No. 94 – Double Meaning Words:

Item A and Item B was being compared for value and the assessor determined that Item A was not worthless but worth less.

Question

Are they both worthless? Please explain your answer.

09:42 PM Feb 15 2018 |

englishteacher24/7

United States

You’re welcome. The next lesson will be posted upon completion.

12:10 AM Feb 08 2018 |

sally_gallego

Philippines

Thank you, Sir! 😊 

12:01 AM Feb 06 2018 |

englishteacher24/7

United States

Sally, your answers to Lesson No. 93 are correct. Really, I don’t have to write an explanation of the lesson because you’ve done an excellent job in answering the question.

The main point is that the word “old” does not always mean “old age” but can also refer to something “previous” or  “in the past.”

The phrase “cop a squat” is slang for take a seat and relax.

Keep this point in mind, almost all English words have multiple meanings and the context will determine the meaning.

I plan to write more lessons on this aspect of English. 

10:33 PM Feb 05 2018 |

sally_gallego

Philippines

Thank you, Sir,  for inviting me to your lessons! You know, your lessons are conducive. 

05:28 AM Feb 04 2018 |

sally_gallego

Philippines

Hello, Sir! Does ‘cop a squat’ mean take a seat?  I think  I understand the convo. Tim here is not an old man. I Think he has the same age with Jim because they both graduated from the same high school the same year and it’s only a matter of few years that they haven’t contacted with each other. So, he’s not old yet. Perhaps he is a young adult.

05:24 AM Feb 04 2018 |

englishteacher24/7

United States

Lesson No. 93 – Customary Words:

Jim and Tim were college roommates who both graduated from the same high school the same year. After graduating from college they both went their separate ways. 

A few years later, Tim located his friend Jim from social media and called him on the phone to arrange coming to his house to see him. At the door of Jim’s house he rang the doorbell and Jim opened the door. Afterwards, the conversation went as follows:

Jim: Tim, my old friend from college, it’s so good to see you again. Come on in.

Tim: It’s good to see you again and you haven’t aged a bit.

Jim: Cop a squat and let’s talk about the good ‘ole days.

Tim: Jim, you haven’t changed a bit.

Question:

Was Tim an old man at this time? Explain your answer.

12:58 AM Feb 04 2018 |

englishteacher24/7

United States

You’re welcome. I intend to write additional lessons on words that do not mean what they appear to mean. Please stay tuned.

06:39 AM Feb 02 2018 |

The Last Joke

Yemen

Mr.englishteacher24/7 ,

Thank you !

05:56 PM Jan 29 2018 |

Likes (71):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace