Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

The Simpsons

The Simpsons English, baby! Video Lesson

Date: Aug 29 2007

Themes: Pop Culture

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

One of the advantages of an animated sit-com is that the characters never have to get older. The Simpsons has been on television for two decades and the show has a formula that works. It’s a family of five that lives in Anytown, USA, and the father or son always gets into trouble and is bailed out by the mother or sister. The show is also filled with political commentary and often makes fun of…well, everything and everyone.

Recently the television show was made into a movie. Listen to Marni tell Kevin about how she liked the movie and how it basically followed the same format as the TV show.

3. Watch - Watch the video without reading the dialog.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Marni

Marni

Kevin

Kevin

Marni:  So, I went and saw one of my favorite movies of the summer.

Kevin:  What’s that?

Marni:  The Simpsons.

Kevin:  Oh, honey, that is nice.

Marni:  You like that? I’m a big fan, and, you know, I’ve watched the show for years, haven’t watched it at times.

Kevin:  I love it.

Marni:  It’s a brilliant show. Still very relevant.

Kevin:  I haven’t seen it. I’ve been wanting to see it. I’ve been told it’s just sort of like a long episode. Is that true? Like it’s really well done?

Marni:  It is really well done and they kind of poke fun at the fact that it’s essentially a TV show that they’ve tried to make into a movie and you’re going and paying. But I loved it. I mean, if you just want to turn your mind off and just laugh…I laughed so hard I was crying, and I don’t think I’ve ever done that in a film.

Kevin:  I keep seeing the ad for that “Spider Pig, Spider Pig…” and I burst out laughing every time I see it.

Marni:  It’s hilarious. And they throw some bones for the hardcore fans. It’s well worth seeing.

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Marni tells Kevin that she saw The Simpsons movie by showing him her Simpsons shirt. She says she has watched the show on and off for years. Kevin is a fan of the TV show, too.

Kevin asks if the movie is like a long episode of the TV show. Marni says that it is and that it even makes fun of the fact that the movie is making you come to a theater and pay for something very similar to what you can normally watch at home on TV for free. She says the film is extremely funny, so funny that she actually cried from laughing so hard.

Kevin mentions that he has seen a commercial for the movie that features one of the main characters singing the words “spider pig” to the theme from Spider-Man. He says he laughs every time he sees it.

Has a movie ever made you laugh so hard you cried? Do you like movies that help you “turn your mind off,” or do you prefer movies that make you think really hard?

Comments

miimi

miimi

Germany

that is the best movie of the world <3

12:30 PM Sep 25 2013 |

BBoy Roty

BBoy Roty

Brazil

The Simpsons Movie is my favourite filme,I love it and make me laugh hard haha !

09:23 PM Nov 22 2012 |

TheNewBoy

TheNewBoy

Germany

Yes, The Simpsons Movie is great, but the show have been worse and worse throughout the twenty-three seasons it’s on the air. When the movie was released there were eighteen seasons of the show, but only nine of them are really funny (the first nine).

06:09 PM Oct 02 2012 |

guilerm

Brazil

there are a lot of movies that made me laugh in a incredible way. In general I prefer movies that took me by surprise, that have something unexpected. But sometimes the usual is done in such a way that it can be amazing. I think there is a kind of movies for each moment. Sometimes you need just a movie that poke fun at something in special or at everything in the same time. But movies have fully intended to criticize something as well and in my opnion this is the most relevant job of a movie.

11:57 AM Oct 02 2012 |

princessanika

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

i like it Laughing

08:27 PM Jun 13 2012 |

1 person likes this

isabel139

isabel139

Peru

To be honest I didn’t see the movie…Cry... But I love “The simpsons episodes” so so much. They really make tears down my face… ahahahah They are all so cute and so funny… Bart is my favourite Laughing.

08:11 PM May 06 2011 |

1 person likes this

thomas121

thomas121

Germany

I like to watch anime tv show and The Simpson episodes are my favorite to watch. 

11:58 AM Feb 28 2011 |

kavintenison

United Kingdom

No, I don't think like that. Actually, I have always watched Simpsons episodes and I always enjoyed it. It's season 22 is really amazing and I hope you also enjoyed it.

12:07 PM Feb 15 2011 |

ciccleo

ciccleo

Brazil

15 years ago this sit.com was not allowed in tv before midnight.

Now it is on everyday in the afternoon, people love it.

It's fun and intelligent. You can also learn lots of new expression there.

03:02 PM May 21 2010 |

Ahshan

Ahshan

China

by this lesson i have known the phras throw bone

for instand ! i will throw some bones for the dogs coming

perfect lesson!

11:23 PM Apr 26 2010 |

wishtolearn

El Salvador

nice sit-com…...... i just love itt

06:34 PM Oct 11 2009 |

rezeal

rezeal

China

I donot kown!!!!!!!!!!

01:17 PM Jul 26 2008 |

sazan pp

sazan pp

Iraq

i like those movies  that make me laugh.

07:23 PM Jul 25 2008 |

sazan pp

sazan pp

Iraq

i like  that kind of  movies.

07:16 PM Jul 25 2008 |

sazan pp

sazan pp

Iraq

I like that kind of movies

07:14 PM Jul 25 2008 |

Flutters the snow

China

이것은 나의 MSN이 나를 플러스 되게 하게 하는 것입니다. 감사합니다! mei361shaowu@hotmail. com

07:05 AM Jul 03 2008 |

love_and_hate

Turkey

ın general,people like them,but ı dont

06:07 PM Jan 29 2008 |

fahimehzargari@yahoo.com

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

I like this funny cartoons because it has a social warming and it's not just for the special age.i enjoy it and i'm one of its fan and try to keep all the series of simpsons.

08:36 AM Nov 25 2007 |

smilekhj

South Korea

Simsons sounds great. I want to watch a funny movie which I can turn my mind off and just laugh.

10:27 PM Sep 03 2007 |

pink_bella

pink_bella

Austria

My boyfriend, friends and me, we are always sitting in front of the TV when it’s time for the Simpsons! This sitcom is great! There are always things which are funny and thoughfull! I think it’s hard to make such a sitcom with always a hint of sarcasm.

06:10 AM Sep 03 2007 |

Likes (127):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast