Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

sneak into

简体
sneak into
偷偷做某事

Date: Oct 27 2011

1. Quote - Listen to the quote and guess what the slang means.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

“I still remember the first R-rated movie I ever sneaked into as kid. It holds a special place in my heart!”

- Actor Brad Pitt on his favorite films. (Us Weekly)

“我还记得我儿时偷看的第一部 R 级电影。它在我心中占据了特殊的位置!”
- 演员布拉德·皮特 (Brad Pitt) 谈论自己最喜爱的电影。(《美国周刊》)

Definition

1. Definition - Study the definition.

go somewhere secretly; go somewhere you aren’t supposed to be

2. Use - Learn how the slang is used.

These days, when Brad Pitt sees a movie, he’s often in it. But when he was a kid, he was just like the rest of us. If he wanted to see an R-rated movie, or a movie that kids aren’t supposed to see without a parent, he had to sneak into it.

Brad doesn’t have to sneak into the movies anymore, but he does have to sneak into restaurants, shops, and just about everywhere else, or else photographers and his fans won’t leave him alone. In other words, he has to go places secretly, unless he wants his picture to end up in all the tabloids. He has to do his best not to be seen.

When you sneak into a place, you go there secretly. Often it is a place you aren’t supposed to enter. For example, Brad had to sneak into an R-rated movie as a kid because, in the US, kids aren’t allowed to see R-rated films without an adult. Also, people under 21 aren’t allowed to drink or go to bars. So if a 20-year-old wants to go to a bar, he has to try to sneak into it.

Have you ever sneaked into a place where you weren’t supposed to be?

Examples

1. Examples - Hear some example sentences.

“We’re too young to go to the concert, but we’re going to try to sneak into it anyway.”

“My best friend and I sneaked into a second movie after we’d seen the one we’d paid for.”

“Do you want to sneak into my sister’s closet with me and find some cool clothes to wear to the party?”

Winners

1. Winners - See who guessed the slang definition correctly.

Pezhman02 to go secretly
by Pezhman02
mya.c break into some place secretly which is not available for you to get in.
by mya.c
Go to the movies and enter, when no one is looking you, to other movie non rated for kids.
by paxhanga
Lilgirl He maens, he watched that secretly and without anyone know about that,it wasn't allowed for a kid to watch that.
by Lilgirl
Shelalala slip into , walk into a place slightly
by Shelalala
CatcheR To go or move in a quiet, stealthy way.
by CatcheR
cubi1604 Do something without permission or do something stealthy
by cubi1604
wwongsapun To go or move in a quiet, stealthy way
by wwongsapun
 julito Sneak into is to enter a place that you are not allowed to. In this case he was a minor.
by julito

Want to guess next week's slang?

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Comments

Alhnouf

Alhnouf

Saudi Arabia

I liked it .
It reminds me of such another idiom that says “snake in the grass ” . I know it’s not that same exact meaning but it sounds similar a bit

10:38 PM Nov 01 2011 |

Learner of Life

Indonesia

hmmm…...........

12:14 PM Oct 30 2011 |

pingu350493

Taiwan

do something secretlyTongue out

11:26 AM Oct 29 2011 |

jerryjeff

jerryjeff

United States

Well… when I was in highschool I used to sneak out of the house to go to school in order to skip breakfast ;-)

01:23 PM Oct 28 2011 |

1 person likes this

mangojoy

mangojoy

United States

I have sneaked into a lot of things in my life from going into the kitchen to have a cookie from my step-mother’s stash to getting out of the house when I was told to stay in my room as a punishment.

01:14 PM Oct 28 2011 |

Maria del Alba

Spain

I remember when my friends and I were teenagers and we usually sneaked into pubs because we were under 18.

09:11 AM Oct 28 2011 |

1 person likes this

China

Do something secretly; Do something you are not supposed to do

09:37 PM Oct 27 2011 |

i love life

Palestinian Territory, Occupied

when i was a child i remember all my try to sneak into to houses my neighbors I steal a lot form stuff but now expensive no just a little food when my football fall in their houses  but when i become a young i have never sneak into to any home or any palce we have in islamic religion if you want to inter to into any home you must to take an permission

prohibit to any person sneak into before permission

04:02 PM Oct 27 2011 |

2 people like this

alhgag

alhgag

Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

sneak into happens in childhood  maybe accept that but with an adulthood is unacceptable

02:59 PM Oct 27 2011 |

FUN777

FUN777

Egypt

I remember i always sneaked with my friend into concerts that we were’t allowed to. It was so exciting, i really liked it.

12:18 PM Oct 27 2011 |

1 person likes this

Bruce_zhou

China

JUST NOW i readed the article about sneak into,i remember that when i was a kid ,i often sneak into some place which no allowed enter withour adult,but you know,i m interesed for that,i just curioused for that,i want to know what happend in the place,and what is it exact why just olny adult but child in it,some time i sneak into the place with adult ,sometime i across the obstacle,some time i m luck ,but some time catched with the guard,but never did anything with me,just told me ,it’s not permitted,after that i will get free again,so funny at that time ,i think ,but for now,i never sneak into some place which is not permitted,if i want enter ,i will apply first.

11:12 AM Oct 27 2011 |

MUHAMMAD92

MUHAMMAD92

Saudi Arabia

my be it happen.

09:22 AM Oct 27 2011 |

maxintel

maxintel

Chad

murderer have to sneak into a place because he is under prosecution!

07:53 AM Oct 27 2011 |

foz12

foz12

Saudi Arabia

I remember back , when I was student in University campus, were all my friends are there,  we  sneaked into place we should not be there. And the reason was to see reaction  one of our friend about something funny, we done to her.

sneak into something like  adventure.

07:41 AM Oct 27 2011 |

2 people like this

Murun

Mongolia

Right now I don`t remember that whether I sneaked into something or not.

06:27 AM Oct 27 2011 |

TAMER0988

TAMER0988

Iraq

I’d like to sneak into Hollywood’s life …..especially celebrities !!!!

06:05 AM Oct 27 2011 |

1 person likes this

aniv

aniv

India

To go some places secretly 

05:56 AM Oct 27 2011 |

Likes (13):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo