简体
Shopping for Clothes
购置衣服

How to Use the First Conditional

Date: Dec 28 2011

Themes: Fashion, Hobbies

Grammar: First Conditional

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

The way you dress can say a lot about you. But making sure your clothes are sending the right message can take a lot of time and money. That is, unless you just want them to say that you hate shopping.

For some, shopping for clothes is an exciting hobby. To them, it’s fun to try on different items and put together the perfect outfit. But others hate shopping for clothes and see it as a chore they just have to get through. Can you guess which of those groups Marni and Ella belong to?

你穿衣服的方式可以透露很多关于你的信息。但是确保衣服传递正确的信息却要花费很多的时间和金钱。也就是说,除非你想让它们说你讨厌购物。
对某些人而言,购置衣服是一件令人兴奋的爱好。在这些人看来,尝试不同的衣服,并进行完美搭配乐趣无穷。但是其他人则讨厌购置衣服,将其视为不得不应付的家务杂事。你能猜出玛尼和艾拉属于哪一类吗?

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Ella

Ella

Marni

Marni

Ella:  Shopping. I can’t get enough of it. I love being there physically, I love doing it online, I love sample sales. Just anything, all the time. Shopping.

Marni:  Oh my…really? Wow. You know, I really detest shopping. I just…oh my gosh, being in the stores with all the crowds. I hate it.

Ella:  Online. You can go online if you hate crowds.

Marni:  I also hate shopping online because you can’t try anything on, you don’t know if it fits, you don’t get a really good sense of what it looks like. It’s all terrible.

Ella:  I don’t know, I just…it’s just trying to find the next best thing. It’s like a challenge to go shopping, to find the best deal, the next hot trend. I love it. One thing I don’t do, I don’t try things on. I just kinda guess. I’d rather just buy it and have it not fit and return it than try something on.

Marni:  Wow. You are a serious shopahilic. You know, I kinda like to window shop. Like, I like to look at things in the window and see what’s cute, and then maybe if something really catches my eye I’ll go in, but I just feel like excessive shopping, it’s just such a waste of money.

Ella:  I just get so scared it’s gonna go away and I’ll never have a chance to get it again. I still remember this one ring I saw in Amsterdam that I wasn’t sure if I was gonna get, and ever since then I’ve decided to always buy everything I want.

Marni:  Wow. Well, I guess what I do is if I see something I like, I’ll go and I’ll think about it, and if I keep thinking about it, then I know that I really like it and really want it. But I rarely buy something on impulse.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "First Conditional" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Ella loves shopping for new clothes, but Marni detests it. She doesn’t like shopping online because she can’t try on the clothes and make sure they fit. But she doesn’t like shopping in stores either, because she dislikes being in a big crowd. For her, shopping just isn’t fun.

Ella thinks shopping is a fun challenge. She loves trying to find good deals and new trends. The only part of shopping she dislikes is trying clothes on. So she just buys them without trying them on, and if they don’t fit, she takes them back to the store.

Do you like shopping for clothes? What is your favorite thing to wear right now?

Comments

g12

Viet Nam

ya, for me i like shoppping so much, as i think it is for fun. at weekend i can go shopping with my friends from a lot of fashion shops, i can try clothes on and i see mybody with fit dresses, oh my god so lovely.it is alsoa good way to relax my mind, catch new fashion trends and i feel happier then. of course i always choose good deals before i go there.

10:56 AM Jun 13 2015 |

NIJ321655

NIJ321655

United States

I love  sopping for clothes.

03:09 PM May 29 2015 |

Staisy

Staisy

Russian Federation

I like shopping for clothes, but it is not a hobby for me and I dont buy everything what catches my eye. I prefer to go for it at the same department store, where is a good choice of clothes to pick from and to find a good deal. It is pleasure for me to spend some time such a way,trying on different things to choose the best item, and to see then how much good I look in it :)

08:02 AM Sep 11 2013 |

Olivine

Olivine

Indonesia

shopping is not my hobby, i dont feel like i have to do it too often. But most of the time it took hours if i did that. Compared the model, the trend, the size, the price, the mix match with other accessories. Went shopping with friends would need more more time since we would ask each other about the things we bought or tried on

03:41 PM Mar 21 2013 |

1 person likes this

DominikLi

DominikLi

China

It’s interesting that I love shopping for clothes on my own,but hate to shopping with other people,especially other women.

01:30 PM Jan 19 2013 |

1 person likes this

bappy151

Bangladesh

I am a college student. I hang out with my friends on the street after school everyday, so I can buy new clothes at that time. If you want to buy modest clothing like me then you can. Thanks anyway.

04:47 AM Nov 16 2012 |

1 person likes this

sandy brand

Pakistan

i like shopping for accessories and stylish shoes,but i detest shoppimg for clothes,cuz i get too much tired when i have to match trousers with shirts,and all the stuff like this.

08:07 AM Aug 12 2012 |

dream-iou

dream-iou

China

I dont like shopping ,but I like to  buy food .I always pig out after a task

07:21 AM Aug 12 2012 |

1 person likes this

sepide_icegirl

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

SHOPPING COULD BE A HOBBY ESPECIALLY 4 WEMEN.BUT SOME PEOPLE SHOP TO DROP AND BUY EVERY THING ON IMPULSE.THEY DONT CONSIDER THE BOUNDARY OD THEIR BUDGET.

IT CAN LEAD TO FINANCIAL PROBLEMS AMD COULD RUN THEM INTO DEBT

BUT SHOPPING IS A WAY TO RELIVING STRESS.SHOPPING IS FUN AND I LIKE IT,I TRY TO BUY WHAT I WANT BUT NOT ON IMPULSE

12:03 PM Jun 23 2012 |

1 person likes this

wael alattarSuper Member!

Saudi Arabia

From my prospictive I don’t think that someone can hate shopping.
About me I’d rather to be in balance with shopping.

05:34 AM Jan 28 2012 |

L♥vely Aйgel

Oman

I think I’m shopaholic. I need to go shopping several times a month or I feel an empty inside. I can’t stop buying girl things and many things. It makes me feel good to dress up.

My mem is mad at me because I’m wasting my money, but I can’t stop my habit.

If I can’t find and affort to buy what I want, I get nervous!

08:02 AM Jan 14 2012 |

1 person likes this

Maria del Alba

Spain

I am like Ella, I like shopping (i am not a shopaholic) but I don’t like either trying on clothes or being with such a huge nervous crowd in sales, that’s why I prefer to buy jewlery instead of clothes haha

I also sometimes buy clothes on the Internet, but I do it always in the same web, that’s easier for me because I’ve already known the size that fits me best and I usually hit on them!

04:07 PM Jan 02 2012 |

1 person likes this

Romio79

Romio79

Russian Federation

I like Ella’s idea. If you see smth you really like it’s better buy it.

07:54 AM Jan 01 2012 |

1 person likes this

nahar2001sa

Saudi Arabia

no i dont like

06:53 PM Dec 30 2011 |

cabbige

Germany

maybe it’s just match with personality

01:43 AM Dec 30 2011 |

Leka_K

Leka_K

Ukraine

I like a classic stile. And I do like a comfortable clothes.

09:18 PM Dec 29 2011 |

suiyee

suiyee

United States

I go to shopping about 4 times a year.  I don’t much care about good deal. I just buy what I really like. Basically I buy the clothes with good quality, simple, and classic.  I buy many clothes at once and try them on, see if they are in good combination and fit me. I only visit couple stores, like J. Crew or Arie. It saves my time and money.

06:42 PM Dec 29 2011 |

manu_wj

manu_wj

Italy

kotlesya, we were joking but I have to admit that this thing made me laughing too! anyway, it may be not so simple to live in a place were are – 25 degree in the summer and – 90 in the winner. In italy (north Italy), in this moment there are more or less + 7 degree and I’m going on complaining and waiting summer!

07:17 AM Dec 29 2011 |

1 person likes this

kotlesya

kotlesya

Belarus

“I brush  my teeth with a bottle of whiskey.when it gets unbearably cold…” – I was laughing “to the tears”. What a luxury you have got in Antarctica, that you can afford yourself to use whiskey instead of water!!!!!! :)))) It is a good idea anyway!!!! Try to use vodka ( it is cheaper and you will get even the better result to get warm :))))). Samogon (is the traditional Russian spirits) is cheapier than vodka and I hope it would brush theeth to the colour, that would be whiter than the most white Icebergs around you. :))))))))))))))

06:15 AM Dec 29 2011 |

kotlesya

kotlesya

Belarus

My next answer to Julito :) “Kotleysa,  Just curious, when you  come back home with your  new wardrobe ,what is the first think that your husband  asks you : how did it go  or how much did you spend on it ?” – it is a paradox, but my husband NEVER asks me what the cost of the new clothes. Do you know why he never asks about that??? Because he perfectly knows that I NEVER spend money without a thought of a future living of my family. He always calm about it, because there is no damage from my rare purchases for the family budget. 

06:04 AM Dec 29 2011 |

Likes (36):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast