简体
Top Places to Visit
热门去处

Learn about the Second Conditional

Date: Feb 24 2012

Themes: Travel

Grammar: Second Conditional

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

There are so many cool places to visit in the world, it can sometimes be overwhelming to think about. But if you had to make a list of the places you most wanted to travel to this year, which destinations would make the cut?

The New York Times released a list of its top places to visit this year. The list included places as different as Panama, San Diego, Tazmania, Moscow and Myanmar. Find out which spots top Jason and Marni’s lists.

世界上有如此众多值得一去的地方,有时令人难以抉择。但如果必须列出你今年最想去的地方,哪些目的地必不可少?
《纽约时报》发布了今年最值得旅游地方的清单。清单中列出了风情迥异的地方,如巴拿马、圣地亚哥、塔斯马尼亚、莫斯科和缅甸。找出詹森和马尼的清单中最想去的地方。

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Marni

Marni

Jason

Jason

Marni:  Jason, if you could go anywhere in the world this year, travel to any country, any island, anywhere, where would you go?

Jason:  Well, the key is this year, because the place I would go is Cuba, because Cuba is changing so rapidly, and I understand that it’s, in some ways, a time capsule right now. There’s all these old cars and old architecture, and things just really haven’t been updated. So I would love to travel through time, and it seems like going to Cuba is a good way to do that.

Marni:  I couldn’t agree more. Cuba is so high on my list because I think it’s a fascinating place. But this is a huge world and we have so many places we could possibly go. I personally know that I won’t be traveling anywhere out of the country, so I’m looking at more local travel within the United States.

Jason:  You do? How do you know?

Marni:  I’ve got a lot going on already, so I know that I’m gonna be staying local. But I am planning on visiting one of our national parks over the summer.

Jason:  Oh, OK, which one?

Marni:  I’m gonna be going to Yosemite, and I’ve never been there.

Jason:  Yeah, I mean that’s great. But like, I think to me it’s about prioritizing. I want to get to the places that are happening, and that are gonna change. I mean, when you travel somewhere, you’re not just traveling to another place, you’re traveling to that place at a particular time. You only get this little window there, so you have to time your travel just right, I think.

Marni:  There you go, yeah. I think you make an excellent point. Well, I wish you well on your travel adventures.

Jason:  Gracias.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Second Conditional" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Marni asks Jason where he would go if he could go anywhere in the world this year. He says that this year, he wants to go to Cuba because he thinks it would be a fascinating place to visit right now because of the beautiful architecture and old cars. Jason thinks that Cuba is changing quickly, and he wants to see it before it’s too different.

Cuba is a place Marni would like to visit as well. But this year, she plans to stay a bit more local. She is going to visit Yosemite National Park, in California.

If you could go anywhere in the world this year, where would you go? Do you have any trips planned for 2012 so far?

Comments

tar1ta

tar1ta

Antarctica

This year I plan to stay local… It doesn’t mean I’m not going anywhere at all.

There are many perfect places on our planet, there is not so much money in my purse to visit all of them. :-(

I’d like to visit Argentina somehow. Then maybe some country in Europe but I haven’t decided exactly what country I should visit.

11:36 AM Jan 30 2015 |

Justirina1

Russian Federation

French Rivera

04:21 PM Jun 21 2013 |

若雨纷飞

若雨纷飞

China

I want to go to french,a romantic place

02:35 AM Oct 28 2012 |

joeytong

joeytong

Spain

OMG, I’d love to visit Germany! I really like the people and the culture.

I’ll definitely try german beer.

10:56 PM Oct 27 2012 |

sara sh

sara sh

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

you know, we have a proverb in our country witch say,you only can found the personality of your friend when travel with her(him),I think witch is importan in travlleing is not the place but is the experience and freindship that you catch in travel.

11:36 PM Sep 02 2012 |

princesse of world

Morocco

ù cane visit marocoo it”s beautiful

12:16 AM Feb 27 2012 |

jojo libya

Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

Oh, Iwant to visit to germany

10:53 PM Feb 26 2012 |

julito

julito

Argentina

yes,  to a pessimist the glass  appears as half empty and to an optimist the glass as half full. 

08:05 PM Feb 26 2012 |

tutorheatherSuper Member!

United States

Trance…which movie? SO many movies are filmed there. It’s the “Hollywood of rhe Southeast”

And yes, it’s all possible! I think I see that more and I more as I get older. Anything is possible. We have to work for it and believe it’s possible.

People have achieved so many things that seemed impossible to them and others. So, I refuse to see the glass as half empty.

Does anyone know what that expression means?

:) Heather

07:40 PM Feb 26 2012 |

TranceSoul

TranceSoul

Poland

Oh my God, there are so many places in the world, which I want to visit.

Certainly is it :

Amsterdam- the cradle of trance music,

Australia and Africa, NY- I think I don’t have to say why

Wilmington (NC)- town where my fav film was made,

Mexico,Ibiza, Tokyo and more.

I want to see so many things that are so distant to me.

I want to touch whale and dolphin, I want to bath in the Mediterranean Sea, I want to visit BroadwayDanceCenter… Is it possible??

07:25 PM Feb 26 2012 |

Defang

Defang

France

I prepare a trip to Boston for october.. I’d love to see a NBA game. :D

03:42 PM Feb 26 2012 |

lynn lam

lynn lam

China

There are 2 subjects we have to learning,if you‘re eight or eighty。One is reading,and the other one is traveling。We should let our soul free,traveling is a fascinating way,and reading is consoling way。

i would like to go to SAN YA this summer,there in SAN YA the beach is beautiful。:)

09:36 AM Feb 26 2012 |

Walker505

Walker505

China

My favourite destination is England.I enjoy his soccer.Peaple there are friendly.Especially the England town,it’s a fascinating place Iwanna go.I also expect the 2012 Olympic!!!

05:00 AM Feb 26 2012 |

indah said

indah said

Indonesia

In my opinion, all of them are wonderful places. I love go to anywhere coz I can find diffrent things.

04:25 AM Feb 26 2012 |

Dujingyao985

China

I don`t know how to use it to learning English :(

04:08 AM Feb 26 2012 |

Jonathanr

Jonathanr

Spain

In my opinion, one of the most beautiful place to visit is Toronto, Canada. In that place u can find whatever u want, the people r very nice and it´s a very safe city. :D 

I also recommend to visit Gran Canaria, Canary Islands, Spain, because its marvelous landmarks, its climate, and the very nice people u can find there. It ´s also important that because its climate there are breathtaking beachs where you can have a great time.

12:48 AM Feb 26 2012 |

1 person likes this

United States

Ola – that is wonderful. Thank you so much!

12:24 AM Feb 26 2012 |

2 people like this

ola33

ola33

Japan

You, too, Parion, have a beautiful weekend!

1 person likes this

United States

Dear Parion..I love the sea, which is one of the reasons I live in Maine.

I used to swim a lot in the ocean here (Atlantic, of course), but it’s pretty darn cold! I used to not mind it when I was a child, but now that I am an “old lady” ;) it’ doesn’t feel very relaxing. I love to swim in pools, however.

I think many people find sea life fascinating. They live in an environment that is unknown to us; the ocean is so very deep, and far beneath the surface live creatures so enormous and powerful we can’t begin to imagine their power and majestic beauty.

1 person likes this

ola33

ola33

Japan

Not a whale, but a large bird, an eagle. He’s cooling himself spreading his wings to the sides. He was sitting like that quite a long time.

12:20 AM Feb 26 2012 |

Likes (50):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast