Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

love handles

简体
love handles
腰间赘肉

Date: Jun 21 2012

Themes: Health, Romance

1. Quote - Listen to the quote and guess what the slang means.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

“I guess she must like guys with love handles.”

- Actor Chris Pratt, joking about how he got his wife, Anna Faris. (Us Weekly)

“我猜她肯定喜欢腰间有赘肉的男人。”
- 演员克里斯·帕拉特 (Chris Pratt) 调侃如何俘获妻子安娜·法瑞丝 (Anna Faris) 的芳心。

Definition

1. Definition - Study the definition.

the fat that is located on people’s sides, below their ribs and above their hips

2. Use - Learn how the slang is used.

Love is mysterious. You never know what is going to draw people together. You might not even be able to predict what kind of person you will fall in love with, or for what reasons. Still, chances are, love handles aren’t going to be on your list of “must-haves” when it comes to finding a partner.

The term love handles sounds nice, right? But telling someone they have great love handles isn’t actually a complement. Love handles are that extra bit of fat that hangs over one’s belt. They’re called loved handles because someone who loves you can use them to grab onto you!

The actor Chris Pratt jokes that his wife loves him for his love handles. But it might be more honest to say that she loves him despite his love handles. On the other hand, when someone has love handles, there is more of him to love!

What made you fall for your girlfriend or boyfriend? Do you think it matters if someone has love handles?

Examples

1. Examples - Hear some example sentences.

“My boyfriend is starting to get love handles. It’s cute now, but if he keeps getting them, I might have to put him on a diet.”

“I don’t mind it when girls have love handles. I dislike it when girls are too skinny.”

“I think I need to cut down on the candy bars, or I’m going to get love handles.”

Winners

1. Winners - See who guessed the slang definition correctly.

oksana08 fatty folds above the belt
by oksana08
goodmahsa the area of fat around the waist. :)
by goodmahsa
It's the fat a little above the hips.
by candycandice
anges491 love handles are layers of fat on a person's skin around waist
by anges491
It's the area of fat around a women's or men's waist that is usally seen when their pants are too small for them.
by Irene Forever

Want to guess next week's slang?

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Comments

ramonhsc

Brazil

“But telling someone they have great love handlesisn’t actually a complement.”

It’s actually COMPLIMENT, not COMPLEMENT, isn’t it?

05:03 PM Jun 29 2012 |

lalind_lanna

Thailand

true love is the most important than love handles if both love each other. 

we can take it out. 

06:56 PM Jun 26 2012 |

bkmiller69

bkmiller69

United States

Is spite of love handles, I fall in love with him? It’s definitly true love.

08:41 AM Jun 23 2012 |

t.amanda

t.amanda

China

Love is a deep and strong feeling between two persons, if he/she really loves her/him,  love handles means nothing.

07:37 AM Jun 22 2012 |

oksana08

oksana08

Ukraine

If love handles are nor very big, it’s not a problem, but if big…. it’s necessary to stick to a diet.

07:17 AM Jun 22 2012 |

1 person likes this

mauroyamaguchi

Japan

If the girl is nice, I don’t care about his love handles.

03:31 AM Jun 22 2012 |

CatcheR

CatcheR

Iceland

Parion,,,, how did you build that?D

02:28 AM Jun 22 2012 |

CatcheR

CatcheR

Iceland

okay then I want to quickly build love handles so that girls will love me hhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. ........ I’m too skinny and girls don’t like skinny boy, that’s poor me, really :D

02:27 AM Jun 22 2012 |

nada kurmeno

Sudan

hahahahahahah i just loooooooved the term “love handels to describe the extra fat english language can be realy considrate some tims ….. thanx for the great lesson

11:44 PM Jun 21 2012 |

emi0808

emi0808

Philippines

Love handles doesn’t matter to me. what’s improtant is he’s a warm hearted, loving, romantic, thoughtful and caring like The Guy Next Door but most of all I want the guy that I love and who loves me just the way I am…. ;)

09:09 PM Jun 21 2012 |

tutorheatherSuper Member!

United States

as020…...That’s  a double standard, perhaps? ( Double standard: When two groups are judged against different standards of beauty, behavior, etc.)

Examples: A woman is an excellent executive at a company. She is strong, commanding, intelligent and “in charge.”

A male executive is exactly the same way.

But, the man is called  a great business man and the woman is called…..something different, and something not so polite, even though they both act the same and bring success to their companies.

As my mom used to say – “What’s good for the goose is good for the gander.” (A gander is a male goose. )

Anyhow, just a thought. I love reading everyone’s comments.

H

08:51 PM Jun 21 2012 |

ErinDong

ErinDong

United States

i dont have a boyfriend and i have never seen anyone with love handles

08:21 PM Jun 21 2012 |

United States

Refaah – not sure where your confusion is coming from. Is it the word “handle” itself?

There are door handles, drawer handles, etc. Anything you use to pull something open, grab something, etc.

It’s a figure of speech…a joke. People don’t walk around and grab people by their love handles. It’s just a “euphenism” (a nice way of saying something bad or something that might be offensive or uncomfortable) for fat around the hips.

Actually, the pic that accompanies the quote shows more of a “beer belly” than love handles.

:)

07:12 PM Jun 21 2012 |

refaah

refaah

Pakistan

Love is ….Love. but love handle, the word itself is so odd.. I’m wondering how it is made. I’ve not fallen in love yet.. I had studied somewhere that LOVE IS FRIENDSHIP THAT HAS CAUGHT FIRE… but I can’t understand this HANDLE thing…I hate it for now. how awkward that They’re called loved handles because someone who loves you can use them to grab onto you! 

HOW’S THAT?

anyways, have fun everyone

06:32 PM Jun 21 2012 |

United States

Turkish muscle – that’s funny.

So, as a woman who just turned 41 the other day, I have learned a LOT of lessons about love. Appearance always changes. That is something  you can count on. You might marry someone “in their prime” (meaning at their physical best) at 21 years of age, but you can be sure at 35, 42, 55, and onward that you will not be looking at a replica of that person at 21.

However, if you still can look into his or her eyes and still see the same wonderful, faithful, funny person who made you feel great about yourself at 21…you are lucky indeed. And that is an incredibly rare privilege.

Love handles, shmlove handles.  (Silly way of saying pffffftttt – it’s not that important.)

Nice comments, all.

06:03 PM Jun 21 2012 |

Vina Novalina

Indonesia

Yupe Love is Mysterious. If someone can give you a reason to why they love you, they don’t love you, they like you, love based on emotion not definition.

What make us fall in love, thats right that beauty and good looking are capture our attention at first, but personality is captures our heart, maybe guys do ask us out because of our looks but for sure their stick around because of our personality so i mean it doesn’t matter if someone has love handles, as long as their partner can receive it and no complain about it, if you really fall in love, u can receive the weakness of your partner. Thats it why people called that love is blind LOL

05:57 PM Jun 21 2012 |

MESS

MESS

Turkey

In Turkey, large belly (love handles) is called “Turkish muscle.”

Turkish men with fat bellies make fun of themselves with this funny saying, like if a friend of yours asks you “What is that thing, man?” by pointing your belly, your answer goes like, “It’s Turkish muscle, buddy!” Laughing

05:40 PM Jun 21 2012 |

snow l

snow l

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

i think those who have love handles are usually cool and friendly;)
a good manner is always respectable!

05:38 PM Jun 21 2012 |

1 person likes this

ana.p94231

ana.p94231

India

I don’t think that love handle matters at all… love handles are not permanant.. it can be reduced by workout… but true love is permanant.. it can’t be change in any situation. If any one feels that this is goin to affect in their relationship then better he/she should start workout:)   

05:29 PM Jun 21 2012 |

siberian tigger

Mexico

It means that somebody loves me, but I expect to find out another person. In addition, it is terrible because love is love when you love someoene you have to be faithful forewer

I send you regards.

05:21 PM Jun 21 2012 |

Likes (17):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog: