简体
Ballet
芭蕾舞

Learn the Second Conditional

Date: Aug 27 2012

Themes: Hobbies, Sports

Grammar: Second Conditional

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Ballet is seen as more of an art form than a sport. But ballerinas have to work their bodies just as hard as any professional athlete. In fact, they make huge sacrifices in order to remain in top physical form.

Maybe that’s why ballerinas are so impressive to watch. They are so dainty and powerful at the same time, they almost don’t seem human. But not everyone enjoys going to the ballet. Some find it boring or old fashioned. Find out what Amy and Jason think about ballet.

人们认为,芭蕾舞与其说是一项运动,不如将其视为一种艺术形式。但芭蕾舞女演员却需要像专业运动员一样进行艰苦的身体训练。其实,她们为了保持最佳的体形,做出了巨大的牺牲。

或许这就是那些女芭蕾舞演员看上去如此惊艳的原因。她们将美与力量同时展现,其完美度堪称人类的奇迹。但并非所有人都爱观看芭蕾舞表演。有些人认为芭蕾舞乏味、古板。听听艾米和詹森对芭蕾舞的见解。

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Amy

Amy

Jason

Jason

Amy:  If I could have any other career than the one I have, like just your dream job, I would want to be a ballerina.

Jason:  That would be pretty awesome. It’s pretty glamorous. But kind of hard on the feet, I think.

Amy:  Yeah, hard on the body in general. Ballerinas go through a lot for their art.

Jason:  Yeah, like the female ballerinas, you know, they look really dainty. But the males, the ballerinos, they look really athletic. They almost look like they could be soccer players or something.

Amy:  Yeah, very muscular, very fit. Do you think you could ever be a ballerina, a male ballerina? Or is it something that…is ballet just only for girls?

Jason:  I think I could have. Like I think I had the athletic ability. But I think when I was young enough to get started on something like that, I just didn’t have the interest at all.

Amy:  Right. Do you like watching ballet?

Jason:  Sure. I feel like I don’t quite appreciate it as much as, you know, an expert would. But it’s definitely impressive. Are you a big fan?

Amy:  In theory. I’ve probably only been to the ballet once or twice. But I just have a sort of romantic idea about it. I’d love to go more.

Jason:  Yeah!

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Second Conditional" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Amy says that if she could be anything she wanted, she would be a ballerina. She thinks ballerinas are graceful and athletic. Jason says that ballet might be glamorous, but it is also hard on the body. You have to be in great shape to be a ballerina.

Amy asks Jason if he thinks ballet is just for girls. Jason says that he wasn’t interested in ballet when he was younger, but now he enjoys it. He doesn’t know much about it, but he finds it impressive. Amy says she likes going to the ballet and would like to do it more often.

Do you enjoy ballet? Do you think you would enjoy being a ballerina?

Comments

mohammad_afg

Afghanistan

hi bellet who are you.would you like do help me for speke  engilsh

04:59 PM Aug 31 2012 |

La Princesse de la vie

Egypt

I do enjoy watching ballet shows, they are awesome…

I’ve never ever thought of being a ballerina, I just like watching them, but if I thought about that, it would be for getting a dainty flexible body like theirs.. They are definitely glamorous..

03:34 AM Aug 31 2012 |

1 person likes this

Sami Aswad

Sami Aswad

Iraq

I dnt find that ballet is fun …. I dnt enjoy it at all ….

02:14 PM Aug 30 2012 |

raisacorrea

Brazil

Ballet? It’s a kidding? This is my life!! I love ballet I started dance when I was 9 years old, and I never stopped.

Be a ballerina was my dream, but I have a problem in my knees and the doctors not allowed me dancer anymore. So I chose other profession and I was continue dancing at the same time. Smile

06:22 PM Aug 28 2012 |

1 person likes this

meaw-meaw

meaw-meaw

Thailand

Umm….I think ballet is very hard for to do it ,glamorous also . We should begin to practice when a little young and  have to sacrifice of your time for spent  many years to go for it.It’s sport of kind dainty and need to have expert.The  benefit of ballet are  muscular and fit. hmm..Ballet in Thailand is not popular but wealthy social still like it.

06:09 PM Aug 28 2012 |

dream-iou

dream-iou

China

ballet is so beautiful.But I can’t understand it ,Maybe I dng’t have the art gene.

01:35 PM Aug 28 2012 |

1 person likes this

izac

izac

South Korea

Actaually, i hardly watch it before. When I watched the ballet performance, it was so boring. but now I am growing a little older. form time to time i enjoyed ballet shows.

11:48 PM Aug 27 2012 |

yuminaga

yuminagaSuper Member!

China

Bellet is really glamorous art form. In theory,I have probably been to the ballet once or twice ,but I have a sort of ramatic ideas about it ,so i’d love to go more. fisrt of all I dont know what thay are talking about ,yeah ballerinas are so improssive to watch ,even there dont seem human so it must be a great thing to watch the ballet with expert .

10:46 PM Aug 27 2012 |

Eliza09

Eliza09

United States

I agree to Amy! If I could turn back the time i would like to be a ballerina! It is a passionate activity where you can blend art, romanticism and sport at the same time!.

I really apreciate and admire the ballet!.

06:35 PM Aug 27 2012 |

1 person likes this

sarika

Pakistan

I love ballet, but in my life I didn’t think that or wanted to be ballerina. I know it’s so hard.

05:50 PM Aug 27 2012 |

Sun_daisy

Sun_daisy

China

I think the intentions of paying the dancers,we can feel from their dance to.

Will be a beautiful Ballet dediccated to the audience is not eas.

05:09 PM Aug 27 2012 |

cheer manal

Morocco

I enjoy Ballet and all types of dance. but ballet is actually an elevated art, it´s more than a simple dance or a sport. 

Ballet dance is not easy it´s hard to master.personally I never had classes and never practise it in my life.But i like watching ballet performances they are kind of enjoyable..

03:18 PM Aug 27 2012 |

1 person likes this

angelina.s

angelina.s

Azerbaijan

Well I also like ballet :) but never I didn’t want ballerina :) 

02:55 PM Aug 27 2012 |

1 person likes this

Empty smile

Greece

Well,I like  very much ballet  and when I was a child all I wanted was to be a ballerina, but I don´´t know why I didn t  try it   and didn t  go in classes of ballets but now my wishes have change, I have other things to do, I have just 17  and  damn isn´t late to  try. However,  love  watching the art of reall ballerinas… or the spor as you guys want call ;)

02:50 PM Aug 27 2012 |

javier_man

javier_man

Mexico

I’am totally agree with Amy, I had been to the ballet only twice in my entire life, but I’d like to go again

02:41 PM Aug 27 2012 |

1 person likes this

sheitooonak

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

Wow i like ballet very much
Its really enjoyable

09:21 AM Aug 27 2012 |

nourelyakine

Algeria

Ballet  is good  and fun but it’s hard and  needs work .

08:52 AM Aug 27 2012 |

Irene Forever

Ukraine

I love ballet as it’s a dancing soul that is able to smile, to cry, to feel love and excitement, anger and even hatred. It’s the whole world of passions.

I wanted to be a ballerina when I was a child. But now I understand, it would be a hard job for me. I prefered English to ballet, but I still see myself dancing in  white tutu. :)

07:24 AM Aug 27 2012 |

dooost

dooost

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

I like ballet really!!

06:47 AM Aug 27 2012 |

1 person likes this

wannicho

wannicho

China

i won’t say i enjoy ballet or not , but it definitely won’t harm for just watching . i must say to be a ballerina is sth i once had in my mind , because i was born very flexible ,still i can do many stuff without practice  in daily life ,  so i might be gifted in some way .but as for if  i would be enjoyed to be a ballerina, i don’t know , how can you put yourself in the shoes while u know almost nothing about it ,but i do know , it’s a lot of work

05:59 AM Aug 27 2012 |

Likes (39):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast