Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

up in the air

up in the air

Date: Dec 13 2018

Themes: Celebrity, Pop Culture

1. Quote - Listen to the quote and guess what the slang means.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

“The future of The Guild is still up in the air, and since we ended so well with Season 6, I felt like it was time to take a break.”

Actress Felicia Day, talking about her web series

Definition

1. Definition - Study the definition.

not sure; undecided; not yet committed

2. Use - Learn how the slang is used.

Have you ever let go of a balloon outside? It sails up into the sky, carried by the wind. First, it flies one way, then it goes in another direction. Finally, it gets so far away that you can’t see it anymore. Who knows where it will land?

As long as a balloon is up in the air, it’s not clear where it’s going. The wind could take it almost anywhere. Decisions that people make are similar to balloons. As long as someone is still deciding something, he or she is up in the air about what will happen. If you’re up in the air about weekend plans, you might have a million options for things to do. Someone who is up in the air about a job decision probably has a long list of pros and cons.

Situations or events can be up in the air, too. After you finish a test, for example, your grade is up in the air until you receive the corrected examination. When two people get engaged, their wedding date might also be up in the air for awhile.

Talking about one of her popular Web series, actress Felicia Day said its future was up in the air. The last season ended well, so she’s not sure if she wants to try to keep it going. It’s still a possibility, though. Nothing has been definitely decided.

What are you up in the air about? How do you make tough decisions?

Examples

1. Examples - Hear some example sentences.

“I’m still up in the air about whether or not I want to go to Tyler’s party this weekend.”

“The results of Adam’s engineering exam are still up in the air. He’ll find out if he passed next month.”

“Anna is up in the air about whether she wants to date Jake even though they’ve gone out twice.”

Winners

1. Winners - See who guessed the slang definition correctly.

apatchi not yet decided;angry
by apatchi
a2020 Not certain and clear.
by a2020
ana karnia means it is not clear.
by ana karnia
up in the air means uncertain ed undefined
by Valentina Monaco
Unsure
by cupid_venus
inventive2 undecided, unsettled, or uncertain.
by inventive2
Something that is doubtful of happening again
by Casu

Want to guess next week's slang?

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Comments

bora_78

bora_78Super Member!

Turkey

I am up in the air about  if I want  to go to cinema at the weekend.

11:05 AM Dec 13 2018 |

TangJun815

TangJun815

China

I am learning English, but l am still up in the air about whether or not I can learn well.

08:08 AM Dec 13 2018 |

Sergijko

Sergijko

Ukraine

I’ve got a job offer almost two weeks ago. Company-employer provides my a fly ticket but I’m still up in the air, cauze I didn’t get a ticket yet.

Hope it will happen in a few days ;)

06:24 PM Feb 10 2015 |

1 person likes this

Mr. Learner

Peru

My future is up in the air. :)

03:38 PM May 31 2014 |

stanley_22

stanley_22

Haiti

Thank a lot.I love that.

06:40 PM May 12 2014 |

1 person likes this

sweetkendi

sweetkendi

Cote D'Ivoire

Last saturday, I’ve done my exam. I’m afraid and I’m up in the air because I really do not know what’s going to happen. Sometimes, I think that I find myself barking up the wrong tree as studying English as second language is too hard.

05:42 PM May 12 2014 |

1 person likes this

sam14719

sam14719

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

My design finished last night, but Im up in the air about  Its test result

08:54 AM May 10 2014 |

1 person likes this

pafreire

pafreire

Ecuador

My trip to USA is up in the air..!!!

11:54 PM May 08 2014 |

1 person likes this

jef_maiko

jef_maiko

Brazil

I’m up in the air about my professional career. Because the market is unstable nowadays…...

07:58 PM May 08 2014 |

maher20000

maher20000Super Member!

Canada

Nice expression. I think many other languages have also similar expressions for similar situations.

04:40 PM May 08 2014 |

whereru66

whereru66

China

My teacher said when we take a quiz is still up in the air.And whether I can pass it is up in the air.

02:47 PM May 08 2014 |

cmoriwaki

United States

I gonna take a font of test next October.I am up in the air whether or not I can pass it. If

I passed it, I would be get a certification in my job. I hope pass it, but it’s un in the air so far.

03:09 AM May 08 2014 |

Likes (24):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast