Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Rice
Rice

Learn English with this rice English lesson

Date: Nov 01 2017

Themes: Food, Health

Grammar: Simple Future Tense

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Some foods can be eaten any time of day. Breakfast, lunch, or dinner, these basic items are super versatile. One especially common staple, rice, is a go to food for people around the world.

For breakfast, rice is delicious when mixed with cinnamon and sugar, along with some milk and raisins. For lunch and dinner, it’s tasty with a variety of meats and vegetables. Because rice is so starchy and bland, serving it with different sauces is a good way to switch meals up.

Of course, many people have a strong opinion about rice. Either they like it or they don’t care for it at all. Even if it’s not one of your favorite comfort foods, though, rice is an easy and inexpensive dish.

Find out who’s a rice lover and who’s not in today’s English lesson about food.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Jessica

Jessica

Marni

Marni

Jessica:  I just made a big pot of rice, Marni. Would you like some?

Marni:  Oh, thank you. But I have to be honest. I don’t really care for rice.

Jessica:  Really?

Marni:  I know. It’s such a staple of so many cultures’ food, and I don’t really like it. I don’t know what it is. It’s so starchy.

Jessica:  It’s so versatile. It’s one of my favorite comfort foods.

Marni:  Really? You think of it as a comfort food?

Jessica:  I do. I crave it. I eat it with almost every meal. I’m trying to switch to brown rice, so it’s a little healthier for me.

Marni:  Right.

Jessica:  But it’s definitely a go to food in our house.

Marni:  Well, there are so many different types of rice. And I’ve really tried a lot of different kinds. It’s just one of those things. I just don’t like it.

Jessica:  How about if you mix it with other things, like red beans and rice, or fried rice?

Marni:  Sure. I can have a little bit of that here and there, but after awhile, it just feels like the same. Starchy, kind of bland...

Jessica:  Well, you’ll have to come over to my house for dinner more often, and I will turn you into a rice lover.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Simple Future Tense" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Jessica offers Marni some rice. Instead of accepting her friend’s offer, Marni tells Jessica that she actually doesn’t really like rice. Jessica seems surprised. Rice is one of her favorite foods. She eats it with almost every meal!

Marni knows that rice is an important basic food and that it’s part of many cultures around the world. But try as she might, she just doesn’t care for it. Jessica asks Marni if she’s tried mixing it with other foods. Marni has, but it doesn’t seem to make a difference. She’ll eat a little rice sometimes, but it’s never going to be one of her favorites.

How important is rice in your culture? How often do you eat rice?

Comments

wing1299

South Korea

Rice is good for healthy

05:10 PM Dec 15 2018 |

pogoda2

pogoda2

Russian Federation

In my opinion rice basically eat people in over the all world. No difference it’s dinner, breakfast or lunch.

07:04 AM Nov 09 2017 |

M1997

Saudi Arabia

Rice on of the best food in Saudi

07:33 PM Nov 03 2017 |

berlucchi

berlucchi

Italy

In italy rice is a good meal. You can eat it cold or warm.

08:49 PM Nov 01 2017 |

1 person likes this

eduardosoutoSuper Member!

Brazil

Well I am Brazilian and here in Brazil we eat rice every single day for lunch and dinner!

I can say that rice is one of the most important foods from my country!

03:59 PM Nov 01 2017 |

Anuheh

Anuheh

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

Rice is a great food especially when you serve it with different stews and meat.

04:50 AM Sep 21 2014 |

1 person likes this

Gorgon

Gorgon

Romania

Rice is my No.1 food! And I’m not that poor. In Romania rice is not the base cereal, that one being the wheat.

05:12 PM Sep 19 2014 |

1 person likes this

soca63

soca63

Germany

@barkim: you are wrong, rice is good for everyone. Especially the natural rice (brownish, with husk) is very healthy… rich on dietary fibre

08:25 AM Sep 19 2014 |

yeahlivia

yeahlivia

Brazil

rice is like a must here in brazil.

10:23 PM Sep 18 2014 |

forugh

forugh

I see eye to eye with Jessica,rice is so versatal.in iran many differant dishes are cooked with rice.

actually,we can’t live without rice.

we crave it.

03:13 PM Sep 16 2014 |

kimnga

kimnga

Viet Nam

This topic is very interesting to me. I love to eat rice, not plain rice,of course. Rice is an important staple food for people in my country. Everyone eat steamed rice for Lunch and dinner; however depending on the condition of every family that the foods that go with rice simple or more “luxury”. I remember when I was in Houston, I was invited to a pot luck party ; and I made fried rice mixed with shredded chicken, shrimp, beans and other ingredients . Surprisingly,  my big tray of fried rice  was empty first ahthough there were different types of delicious food there. Later  some friends called me to say that they like my fried rice  and even  asked me to give them the recipy.

07:35 AM Sep 16 2014 |

1 person likes this

faisal abdo

Sudan

in sudan rice is not eportant meal

05:49 AM Sep 16 2014 |

pakeeza123jan

Afghanistan

I love rice , and in Afghanistan people cook rice for their guest . and it is very important in

our country , we can cook different kind of foods from the rice. such as Beryani, zamard plaw. qabli plaw. atc…............... and it is very good food for poor people

03:02 PM Sep 15 2014 |

ola33

ola33

Japan

Yeah, I can say rice is kinda bland to me unless you put in it something. I used to cook a lot the famous Uzbek plov. It’s made of rice saturated richly in onion flavour, soaked in olive oil, mixed with fatty chunks of meat and thickly chopped carrots. Also some special berries can be tossed in there and a big head of garlic to be placed in the middle of a dish, radiating its irrestitalbe garlic flavour. It’s magic. The taste is unforgattable if cooked properly. I don’t know why, but men, mostly, are the best chefs of this dish. Now I try to stick with wild rice. It’s cooked longer than white ones, it’s also 3 times more expensive but it’s rich with fiber, vitamins adn you name it. Anyway it’s healthy. The only thing, you’ve got always to remind yourself to buy it in a bulk store. The first time i tasted it was in Indian village. As it turned out, they used to grow it. It was served with smoked salmon. Gosh, that was tasty.

12:42 PM Sep 15 2014 |

Cyrus532

Cyrus532

as shahriar said, rice is one of the most meal for iranians, but i myself prefer that don’t eat it for dinner,because it has a lot of starches and makes you have overweight ;-)

11:04 AM Sep 15 2014 |

mahi7

mahi7

rice is one of the basic meal in my country but it depend of ur family habit too

in fact in north where im living the people use it alot

but the rice of my country is different from the otheres

10:44 AM Sep 15 2014 |

1 person likes this

amy19890909

China

Rice is very important in our culture. In china, we eat rice with almost every meal. I do like rice and nooddles very much.

For me, I don’t like mixing it with sugar but meats and vegetables. It is very delicous.

10:35 AM Sep 15 2014 |

1 person likes this

Seiyf_khawas

Turkey

ohh Rice !!  its water enemy …:) it needs more water for growing ,and it needs water again for cooking it..:))

other trouble, it needs to be cleaned always before cook :) 

but its very common,tasty and good food for centuries …

10:02 AM Sep 15 2014 |

2 people like this

Michele1

Michele1

Italy

In my opinion the rice is one of the best basic food all over the world.It is not expensive, so easy to digest, it can be cooked in a lot of different ways and at any time.I like to eat rice anyway it is cooked,but I prefer fried rice,  saffron with rice and rice with olives oil and cheese, so delicious….

08:37 AM Sep 15 2014 |

Eric_

Eric_

China

@AryelLanes  Long time No see!!!Man!

About 15 years ago,When I was a little child, I grew the grain with my parents. Every family in our village needed growing the grain for living. Even though we were poor at that time. We had so much fun…Never forget that…

In Southern china, Rice is essential to every family when taking the dinner. It’s healthy and easy to cook… :))

07:41 AM Sep 15 2014 |

Likes (17):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast