Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Indoor vs. Outdoor Pets
Indoor vs. Outdoor Pets

Learn English with this indoor vs outdoor pets English lesson

Date: Dec 06 2019

Themes: Pets

Grammar: Phrasal Verbs

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Where would humans be without their pets? From cats to horses, people have had animal companions for thousands of years. Pets have been a part of our lives, big or small, living indoors or outdoors, for as long as we can remember.

In the city, many pets are kept indoors because it may be too dangerous for them to run around outside. But how is it for the pets to be kept inside all day? Does the animal get sad or bored? It’s hard to know since they can’t talk to us.

Gary and Marni talk about their pets and where they’re allowed to go. Learn more in today’s English lesson about indoor and outdoor pets.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Gary

Gary

Marni

Marni

Gary:  Hey, Marni. I’m going to be having some people over. Are you, by any chance, allergic to animals?

Marni:  Oh, what do you have?

Gary:  I’ve got two cats.

Marni:  Thank you for asking. I do have a problem with just indoor cats.

Gary:  The dander gets to you?

Marni:  The dander makes me sneeze a lot, and my eyes water up.

Gary:  I’m really good about cleaning up, and sweeping, vacuuming all of their fur that they shed... especially in the summer.

Marni:  I have a dog. And he’s an indoor, outdoor animal. And it’s hard for me to go into spaces where its just an indoor animal. I just feel bad for them. I feel like they’re just pent up animals.

Gary:  It’s kind of funny, my two cats create this new routine. It’s this constant change that they’re always doing. “Today I’m going to sleep on the couch.” And they’re there for a month. Then, “OK, I’m changing.” It’s really fun to see what kind of routines they create.

Marni:  I would love to meet your cats someday. But I’m going to err on the side of caution, and stay away.

Gary:  I understand.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Phrasal Verbs" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Gary asks Marni if she’s able to come to his house, but she’s allergic to his cats. Cat dander makes her sneeze. Gary says he’s really good about cleaning up after his pets. Even though Marni would like to meet his cats, she decides to err on the side of caution so that she doesn’t get sick.

Marni tells Gary that she feels bad for pets who are kept indoors. She has a dog who spends time both inside and outside because she doesn’t want him to feel pent up. Gary isn’t worried about his cats being bored. They’re always changing what they do.

Do you have a pet? Where is your pet allowed to go?

Comments

ml2000

ml2000Super Member!

Canada

In winter, it is too cold out to walk my dog, so I usually give them a ride instead and my dog likes it very much although it is pent up all day. 

01:11 AM Dec 08 2019 |

ml2000

ml2000Super Member!

Canada

I like dogs because they are very respectful and loyal to their masters. They instinctively want to be friends with human. 

04:46 PM Dec 06 2019 |

1 person likes this

CatcheR

CatcheR

Iceland

we hhave cats but I do love them. the only thing i would like to say is I don’t like the dander of cat. they always fly everywhere go to food and everything. When you have black sweater you would probably know that all the fur will stick to it. Oh My….. I hate it. Any way when I have amy own house I decided to err on the side of caution. 

11:29 AM Dec 29 2018 |

1 person likes this

vik32

vik32

India

yes i have a dog (pitbull) and i love him.  i usually take him out three times a day even i dont like keeping pets indoor all the time.

08:50 AM Dec 27 2014 |

1 person likes this

julito

julito

Argentina

I don`t have a pet and i don´t regret it. Cats and dogs are adorable,   cats   like to roam freely  and live an independent life, whereas dogs need much attention from the owner, daily exercise , baths  as a routine if you don`t want that your house stinks .Should i live in a house with a backyard i would  then consider  to adopt a dog as a permanent resident of the household  and i already have a name for the canine “buddy” . Until then , i prefer  things as they are. 

08:07 PM Dec 17 2014 |

Seiyf_khawas

Turkey

ı dont have any pet…

04:27 PM Dec 17 2014 |

Likes (15):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter