Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Therapy
Therapy

Learn English meaning of therapy

Date: Apr 27 2020

Themes: Health

Grammar: Definite & Indefinite Articles

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

When we talk about being healthy, it’s usually focused on our physical health and our bodies. But there are also times when our emotions don’t feel well. For some people, taking care of their mental health is an important part of their lives.

There are different ways to work on one’s mental health. You can try medicine, or see a counselor for therapy. Therapy is a good way to talk about and explore one’s emotions and feelings and to find ways to feel better.

Brian talks about how therapy has helped him. Find out more in today’s English lesson about personal growth.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Lily

Lily

Brian

Brian

Lily:  Hey, Brian. How’re you doing?

Brian:  Good. I just got done with my first therapy session.

Lily:  Oh. You go to therapy?

Brian:  Yeah. I went in today.

Lily:  What is that like?

Brian:  It was actually really great. It was just talking to someone else. It was really nice. It was really cathartic. I got to vent and let off my frustrations.

Lily:  Release all of your inner feelings to a complete random stranger? Do you think that’s actually helpful?

Brian:  But it is a way of venting. Have you ever talked to a friend about a hard day at work?

Lily:  Oh, yeah, definitely. All the time.

Brian:  It’s just like that. I feel like I’m constantly evolving. And it’s nice to have a way to speak to those things aloud and have a release. I feel like it makes me more self-aware when someone is listening to what I have to say.

Lily:  It’s like a personal growth kind of a thing?

Brian:  It’s really interesting. I really highly recommend it.

Lily:  OK. I’ll think about it.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Definite & Indefinite Articles" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Brian believes that therapy is a great way to work on his mental health, and he tells Lily about his first session. In therapy, he talks about his feelings and frustrations. Brian thinks that this will help him become more self-aware.

Lily doesn’t understand why Brian needs therapy. She thinks it’s strange that he needs to go and talk with a stranger about his problems and feelings. But as Brian describes how therapy has helped him, Lily begins to understand why it’s important.

Have you ever tried therapy to help with your personal problems? In what ways can therapy be helpful?

Comments

Rani77

Rani77Super Member!

Germany

to go to a counsellor is a good thing to let off our sorrow . I started to write my feelings everyday  and it help 

08:49 AM May 06 2020 |

Rani77

Rani77Super Member!

Germany

to go to a counsellor is a good thing to let off our sorrow . I started to write my feelings everyday  and it help 

08:44 AM May 06 2020 |

La Princesse de la vie

Egypt

I don’t know if I technically had tried it or not, but if “therapy” is only restricted to therapists, so no, I haven’t tried. But sometimes I use noting as a way of relieving myself, I write down my confusions and then I tear the paper, it helps sometimes :D It’s like you’re throwing your concerns in the sea :) I also write down some motivating phrases that help me when I’m so down. I also tried talking to friends before, but I don’t like to disturb the others with my own inner problems. 

I’m not against therapy, revealing to strangers is not the problem with me, but it needs some courage.

And of course mental health is as important as physical health, and even more, ‘cause your life pattern depends on your mentality not your body.

04:30 PM Apr 25 2015 |

kotlesya

kotlesya

Belarus

My dear friends, Anja and Julito I completely share your opinion about a therapeutic effect of music.

As for me, it is interesting that the worse I feel myself mentally the better I feel and understand music. I recollect when my father passed away  nothing could help me but listening the music almost non stop. 

I think the masterpiece of music, poetry etc can be created when soul of composer is crying from grief or he is in love. Only the “sharpness ” of our senses can feel music to its fullest. 

julito1

julito1

Argentina

Dear Anja, you nailed it. Whenever i am about to blow the lid i take refuge in music, as an Argentine i sing tangos. Also ,in some cases a good repertoire of foul words do the trick. :)))

05:58 PM Apr 24 2015 |

buttafly

buttafly

Germany

A couple of years back I was close enough to send my daughter to a therapist. I was at my wits’ end and really afraid that she’d become a bulimic. Thank God the approach wasn’t necessary! I definitely think therapy can help people out of a deadlock. Just like a doctor can help you to fix your gastritis or a broken leg, a good therapist can help to cope with your troubled emotions and even make you learn to solve them. 

I blast Eminem whenever I feel frustrated or when I am angry at the entire universe. His music and lyrics are so therapeutic for me. What an outlet it is to sing (or shout) along to “The way I am”  or  ”I’m not afraid”. Do you also believe in the power of music? I know I DO :)

02:35 PM Apr 24 2015 |

kotlesya

kotlesya

Belarus

The best therapy to me is cycling, walking and cross stitching :-) Cross stitching is like a meditation to me. I go to the absolutely another world of drawing by coloured threads. 

The only problem is the constant lack of time but I try hard to find even some minutes to my hobbies. 

I want to have all time of the world!!! “D

maher20000

maher20000Super Member!

Canada

In some countries, no body has the time to listen to you. If you need a vent, you have to pay to the therapists. Their job is mostly just listening, and that’s not bad anyways.

09:22 PM Apr 22 2015 |

julito1

julito1

Argentina

S&W , Hello, Therapy is a very personal decision. If people  ,though it cost money , seek this help, it is because are  feeling that their life is unbalanced and can not deal  with their problems or conflicts. Where to go then ? Close families and friends might not understand you ,and they have their own problems , or there are intimate  issues that you don`t want to share with them . A good  psychologist  will keep  the session behind closed doors. 

09:10 PM Apr 22 2015 |

julito1

julito1

Argentina

I am not against therapy , since  so many people seek this external help, it must have  some value. There are uncertified therapists , you may wonder whom they are.   Well, here it is: taxi drivers  and the hairdresser. For one reason some people tend to confide personal problems to them, loosening the tongue more than  they should do. jejejejeje!!

ScienceBoy

ScienceBoy

Turkey

MESS,

You reminded me what my friends said once

He said “I won’t go to a therapist anymore, I talked to him and relieved but then I paid and felt more frustrated than before ” :)

You comments relives first and then shocks :)

08:20 PM Apr 22 2015 |

ola33

ola33

Japan

Mess, that’s a good therapy:))

06:44 PM Apr 22 2015 |

1 person likes this

kenlin16

kenlin16

Taiwan

Anything that helps keep my mental health is a good therapy. That includes talking my problems to anyone that I can talk with.

By doing so, I find people’s respond to my questions actually help me solve my problems. They help me look things in different ways so I won’t blind myself . Talking to more people about your problems , sometimes helps.

06:43 PM Apr 22 2015 |

MESS

MESS

Turkey

Science Boy & Ola,

Message me privately. I will give you the number of my bank account. If you do not transfer the money that you owe me, I will sue you. :D 

06:12 PM Apr 22 2015 |

ola33

ola33

Japan

Mess, I agree with you:) What’s your bank account?:)) (kidding)

05:23 PM Apr 22 2015 |

1 person likes this

NIJ321655

NIJ321655

United States

This is alsome

05:20 PM Apr 22 2015 |

ScienceBoy

ScienceBoy

Turkey

MESS,

It’s not fair to realize we owe you $200 after reading your message. Shouldn’t you tell us before reading? LOL 

05:16 PM Apr 22 2015 |

NIJ321655

NIJ321655

United States

Therapy is for people how can not hand them sife like chis brown.

04:17 PM Apr 22 2015 |

MESS

MESS

Turkey

No, guys, shopping is the best therapy ever! Tried and tested! God, what an amazing feeling it is. However, it gives some sort of damage to the wallet or bank account but that feeling, though. :))

The best therapy for me is to call my aunt who is just a year older than me or my best friend who is someone I can blindly trust after my family. However, if I have a problem with someone, I discuss the issue with that person. The key point is to keep calm and be kind. Soft answer turneth away wrath as the saying goes. I do not have an unsolved issue with anyone right now, thanks to my sweet tongue. (Okay, I should not really praise myself. Zipping my lips.) :D

Having therapy sessions? Yeah, why not, if I cannot really handle it by myself. 

Writing is also a great way to release feelings. Yet the only drawback is that you pour your heart out and write everything down but no one answers. No one says, “Yes, I agree with you but… or No, I do not agree with you…” That is super annoying but it is fun to go back to your journal and laugh at it a few years later. :)

Oh, one more tip… Drinking coffee. Perfect solution for everything. Tried and tested, too. But this one might not work for everyone. :)

Or… watching a great show with hot actors… What a mood lifter! Phew! :D

Now, whoever is reading this post will have to transfer $200 to my bank account as I sound like a therapist. :))

slava011

Russian Federation

for me, the best therapy is a sport

11:37 AM Apr 22 2015 |

Likes (23):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend