Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Global Language Contest: Packing & Preparations
Global Language Contest: Packing & Preparations English, baby! Video Lesson

Learn English meaning of ‘Many Languages, One World’

Date: Jul 22 2016

Themes: Friend, Time, Travel

Grammar: Simple Future Tense

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

By now, you know a lot about the Many Languages, One World (MLOW) contest. We introduced you to the innovative winners and some of their family members, and you heard some of these winners’ wonderful essay ideas. Next week, ELS Educational Services will fly the MLOW winners to New York City! There, they will meet at Hofstra University and participate in the Global Youth Forum. Each winner studied the United Nations 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and is ready to share their ideas for making a more sustainable future.

Today, the MLOW winners are getting ready for their journey. They already have their United States travel visas and many of their bags are packed. Some winners are bringing special clothes in order to look great when they speak at the United Nations. Other winners are bringing gifts from their countries to share with their new friends. All of them know that they share a common goal, and they are excited to build new relationships.

Watch today’s English video to share this excitement with the 2016 MLOW winners.

3. Watch - Watch the video without reading the dialog.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Jorge Hello, everybody. I wanted to show you how it is that I’m getting ready for my trip to New York.

Rind I’m proud to say that this is the first step in our journey to change the world.

Amani I’ve got my visa, and I look forward to come to participate in the Many Languages, One World.

Federico I’m just going to share with you some things that I’m going to take with me to New York.

Jorge I’m keen on style and fashion, so I’m trying to make up outfits for the different activities.

Federico A book. It’s Philip Gourevitch’s account of the Rwandan genocide.

Maria Jose Well, I’m very excited to participate in the Forum. I know there will be people from all around the world. I know there are some neighbors from Argentina, from Uruguay. There are people from Africa; there are people from Europe. So, I’m very excited to meet them all.

Amani What I’m looking forward to is to share my stories, share my experiences, to form relationships with people from all over the world… to form my family from people from all over the world. That will be very beautiful.

Federico Another thing is this, which is maté. This is a very typical Uruguayan drink. It’s like a tea. And I’m thrilled to share that with everyone and… so that, well, other people get to know my culture and can try the things that we usually have here. Only if I make it through customs with that.

Tom dos Santos Hey guys, this is Brazil, and we’re in Florianópolis right now. And I know that, looking at this ocean, it looks quite big. But I’m pretty sure languages make the world so much smaller that these distances are nothing compared to the things that get us together.

Maria Jose Working towards a common goal, working together to collaborate, it’s the only way we can actually improve, and move forward, and make the world a better place.

Rind Many Languages has given us an incredible opportunity to work with innovative people from across the planet and plan for a bigger, brighter, more sustainable future.

Jorge I’m really looking forward to it, and also to meeting all of the other winners at the United Nations headquarters, and to visit, of course, New York City.

Rind Thank you, and see you in New York.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Simple Future Tense" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

The winners of the 2016 Many Languages, One World (MLOW) are getting ready to travel to New York City. Jorge likes fashion, and he is bringing special clothes for each activity. Federico is bringing a book for himself and maté to share with his new friends. Amani has his travel visa, and he is excited to build new relationships with people from all around the world.

Maria Jose is also excited to meet everyone. She believes that working together is the only way we can make a better world. Tom shares a view of Brazil’s ocean, which looks large. However, he believes that language can make that distance seem very small. Finally, Rind shares how happy she is to have the great opportunity to attend MLOW and change the world with other innovative people.

When you meet someone from another country, what do you ask them? Do you share a common goal with someone from another country?

Comments

patgrey

Argentina

LOOK FORWARD TO IS FOLLOWED BY ING FORM . PLEASE AVOID MAKING GROSS GRAMMAR MISTAKES

04:17 AM Jul 31 2016 |

1 person likes this

sheriz

sheriz

Indonesia

For sure, it will enrich our knowledge, having new friends, new experiences and of course new horizon. ♡

11:27 AM Jul 24 2016 |

qq_baby

qq_babySuper Member!

Taiwan

It’s very exciting to prepare for a trip like this! I would start planning one month ahead!

08:44 AM Jul 22 2016 |

Likes (6):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast