Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Mad Libs
Mad Libs

Learn English meaning of ‘mad libs’

Date: Oct 17 2016

Themes: Hobbies, How To, Travel

Grammar: Simple Future Tense

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Can you tell a story without having most of the information? It might sound silly, but this is what people do when they play Mad Libs. This popular word game began in 1958. To play Mad Libs, you need at least two people. One person sees a story with many fill-in-the-blanks. Each blank space needs a particular type of word, such as a noun or verb.

The person with the story asks the other person to give them words. They ask for verbs, pronouns, prepositions, and other types of words. They do not share the story with the other person until all of the blanks are filled. Of course, the other person will mismatch most of the words. In the end, both people read the story, and it causes much hilarity.

Dominique has never played Mad Libs. Listen to today’s English lesson to hear the silly Mad Lib that Gary shares with her.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Gary

Gary

Dominique

Dominique

Gary:  I want to tell you about something called Mad Libs.

Dominique:  What’s that?

Gary:  If I ask you for verbs, pronouns, and all of these things, I’m going to create a story that’s really silly and really fun because I’ll take all of those out of the original story, and we’ll mismatch all of your funny things into the real story.

Dominique:  So, it’s sort-of educational with the fill-in-the-blanks.

Gary:  Yeah! So, it’s a little bit of chaos because you don’t know what noun should be in the sentence. And it’s a little bit of hilarity because what you say… it’s not going to fit into the sentence, right? It’s a pastime of my family’s. We would do this every road trip.

Dominique:  Cool! I’d have to try it…

Gary:  Well, I’ve actually got one here, so… OK, ready?

Dominique:  OK!

Gary:  Give me a noun.

Dominique:  Woman.

Gary:  Woman. Give me a verb.

Dominique:  Hike.

Gary:  Give me a pronoun.

Dominique:  She.

Gary:  Give me a noun.

Dominique:  Feet.

Gary:  Ready for this?

Dominique:  OK, let’s do it!

Gary:  OK. Once upon a time, there was a woman who wanted to hike, but she didn’t have enough feet. What?!?!

Dominique:  That’s hilarious!

Gary:  That’s going to be really hard.

Dominique:  Oh my gosh! OK, I sort-of like this Mad Lib thing.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Simple Future Tense" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Gary knows that Dominique likes games. He tells her about the game Mad Libs. He and his family used to play this game when they traveled in the car. He loves it because it is a very silly game. He explains how to play the game. He tells Dominique that each Mad Lib is a story with missing words. Dominique thinks it sounds like the fill-in-the-blanks she remembers from school.

Gary’s story looks like this: Once upon a time, there was a _ who wanted to _, but _ didn’t have enough _. He asks Dominique for a noun, verb, pronoun, and another noun. She chooses woman, hike, she, and feet. When Gary reads the short story, it causes much hilarity. It doesn’t make sense, but it is very funny.

Have you ever played Mad Libs? Do you think Mad Libs can help you learn English?

Comments

khaoulakhaoula

Algeria

i dnt knw  it bt its gud to learn new words

06:21 PM Oct 19 2016 |

Kate_StPete

Russian Federation

In Russia we have similar game, but you need to continie someone’s story when you have only 2 last words open. The game is played a big company. First begin by 2-3 worlds,  the second continues, when close the beginning, and next continues without seeing the first words. The story also turns silly and hilarity

02:35 PM Oct 19 2016 |

gresanpu6981Super Member!

Spain

I have ever played Mad Libs, but I will. I thing it could be so hilarious to play with your friend while you’re drinking beers. 

leaving the alcohol on the other side. I think it’s a good idea to use this game word to learn english. could be a good method to learn new vocabulary. 

05:20 PM Oct 17 2016 |

Thyphuong

Thyphuong

Viet Nam

I have not played Mad Libs but I think this is a very good game because it encourage us to figure out what type of word to fill in the blanks, and to make it a story. It helps a lot in learning English if we can practice it with somebody every day.

07:36 AM Oct 17 2016 |

hermitlady

China

No. But I had played the fill-in-the-blanks in school .

Maybe it can help me to learn english in exam. It is a good way to exam. Now I would think it may be useful to practical english. I have not tried it.

03:08 AM Oct 17 2016 |

Likes (5):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast