Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

body shaming

body shaming

Date: Apr 27 2017

Themes: Celebrity, Health, Pop Culture

1. Quote - Listen to the quote and guess what the slang means.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

“Some [people] have gone as far as to say I look ‘skeletal.’ Well, just because I am a male doesn’t mean I’m impervious to your whispers. Body shaming hurts.”

—Actor Chris Pratt, speaking about his weight loss for the movie Jurassic World 2 (Instagram)

Definition

1. Definition - Study the definition.

saying or writing negative comments about someone’s physical appearance, especially their weight

2. Use - Learn how the slang is used.

Everyone’s weight changes from time to time. If you live in a country where it gets cold in the winter, you might gain weight to keep warm. If you live somewhere hot, you might be thin from sweating all the time. A new situation might cause you to lose or gain weight, like going to a new school or starting a new job. It’s OK for your weight to change. It happens to everyone! What is not OK is when people body shame you for it.

Body shaming is when someone makes negative comments about another person’s body. People usually body shame about weight gain or weight loss. For example, if you gain weight, someone might body shame you by saying, “Wow, you’ve gotten really chubby!” If you lose weight, someone might say, “You need to eat a cheeseburger. You’re just skin and bones!” Comments like these don’t make us feel good, and they don’t help us get healthy, either. Even celebrities get body shamed sometimes. Actor Chris Pratt is on a diet for his role in Jurassic World 2. Recently people on Instagram were telling him that he was too skinny. He wrote a post letting his fans know that body shaming was not OK.

Have you ever gone on a diet?

Examples

1. Examples - Hear some example sentences.

“Stop body shaming me! I am comfortable with my weight.”

“He lost a lot of weight because of stress, and now his friends are body shaming him and saying he’s too skinny.”

“She shouldn’t date that guy anymore. He always body shames her and says she needs to lose weight!”

Winners

1. Winners - See who guessed the slang definition correctly.

criticizing someone's physical defaults.
by La Princesse de la vie

Want to guess next week's slang?

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Comments

TimothyLingle

United States

Being an artist or public figure is not easy to do. You will find many things and always be a news. bandar judi bola online

03:16 AM Sep 05 2017 |

Sojin

Sojin

United States

I have gone on a diet for beauty and health reasons. It was totally for myself. If I feel good about myself, nothing is matter. :) People usually do body shaming others because they are insecure about themselves. If they are truly happy about themselves, they don’t care about other’s body figure. 

08:15 PM Apr 27 2017 |

Likes (4):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast