Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Amanda's Anguish

Amanda's Anguish English, baby! Video Lesson

Date: Nov 27 2007

Themes: Romance, Soap Opera

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Last week on the Ebaby! soap opera we learned that Devan has a crush on Mason. Things are going to get pretty tricky because, as you’ll recall from the first episode, Amanda likes Mason too.

But this week Amanda confides in Marni and we find that she not only likes Mason, that she’s in…well, you’ll just have to listen for yourself.

3. Watch - Watch the video without reading the dialog.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Amanda

Amanda

Marni

Marni

Amanda:  So I am about ready to pull my hair out.

Marni:  Why? What’s going on?

Amanda:  I don’t know if I…Can I tell you a secret?

Marni:  Of course.

Amanda:  And you won’t tell, like, everybody in the crew?

Marni:  Please. You can trust me.

Amanda:  I kind of am in love with Mason.

Marni:  Really?

Amanda:  Okay. In like. In warmth. Like…heavy likes.

Marni:  Heavy likes? Wow…have you…so you haven’t told him?

Amanda:  I thought I told him. I thought that we talked about when you have a crush on a friend, what’s the best way to go about it, and…totally over his head. It was almost like he was repulsed of the idea of it being me…

Marni:  No…

Amanda:  ...and it killed me.

Marni:  Oh!

Amanda:  I didn’t eat for like weeks.

Marni:  Oh Amanda!

Amanda:  Do I look thinner?

Marni:  Yeah, but I hope you’re eating. So, I think you should tell him. I think this is great.

Amanda:  I did. I mean, how do I…without saying…you know what I mean?

Marni:  Being really direct?

Amanda:  He dates. He tells me about his dates. He’s not trying to be insensitive but it hurts me.

Marni:  You guys are friends. He probably just doesn’t know.

Amanda:  Well…should I move on?

Marni:  Well not if…I mean…I think you need to tell him.

Amanda:  I’m a little traditional so I don’t like to be the girl going after the guy. I want the boy to call me.

Marni:  Yeah, but…

Amanda:  He’s not getting it?

Marni:  ...it’s 2007.

Amanda:  But what does that mean? What does that mean in the situation?

Marni:  That if you really like him, you should tell him.

Amanda:  Should I text him? Like, “I love you?” “I heart you xoxo -A?”

Marni:  I mean that’s…if that’s how you want to do it…

Amanda:  I don’t know. Maybe you could like slip him a note or something?

Marni:  You want me to do it?

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Amanda is really frustrated because Mason hasn’t realized that she likes him. She trusts Marni to keep a secret and tells her that she loves Mason! She quickly backpedals and says that she likes him a lot.

The situation has been so hard for Amanda that she hasn’t been eating. It’s torture for her to hear about Mason’s dates with other girls.

Marni says that Mason probably just doesn’t know that Amanda likes him and he isn’t trying to hurt her. She tells Amanda to be direct with Mason.

But Amanda is a traditional woman and would prefer if Mason pursued her, not the other way around. Plus she doesn’t know how to be direct. She jokes that she could send a text message or that Marni could deliver a note.

Do you think Amanda ought to be direct with Mason or are your views on dating more traditional? How should she tell him? Is a text message a reasonable way to tell someone, “I love you”?
Check in next Tuesday to find who has a crush on Amanda! We’ll give you a hint. It’s not Mason!

Comments

Genlish

Genlish

India

I think Amanda should talk to Mason about her feeling. Whatever the result may, but atleast try once.

06:09 AM Dec 07 2016 |

Nssss68

Nssss68

Kuwait

Hi

09:40 PM Dec 06 2016 |

Nssss68

Nssss68

Kuwait

Hi

09:40 PM Dec 06 2016 |

emma_cookie

China

Mason can’t feel it?! nonono, it’ll just be more akward if amanda be direct and refused by Mason.

03:14 PM Aug 14 2014 |

1 person likes this

ttsuka

ttsuka

Japan

I remember that I called a girl I fantasized to tell that I liked her and wanted to date. I was extremely nervous, so I took a shot of whiskey before calling. I was 16. It turned out she barely knew me, she was a year older in the school, so I should have not been so shocked but it was totally mortifying. Whenever I found myself in a similar situation later in life, I had to think of that memory. I have never grown better at asking girls out, but when girls have given me clear messages, it’s another story.  So, girls and Amanda, send men messages loud and clear when you like them. That will make the world a lot an easier place to date.

04:10 PM Mar 13 2014 |

Ngubo Sixtus

South Africa

amanda should text masonn, jokes by telling him that she has something for him.

06:47 PM Apr 24 2013 |

Masbarar

MasbararSuper Member!

Turkey

Amanda should say or should make understand to Mason that she loves him.If she continue to be traditional like this,she will suffer and will regret after.The time pass.No need to miss the opportunities.But I think Mason doesn’t love him.

02:10 PM Aug 15 2012 |

ErinDong

ErinDong

United States

aww, I feel so sorry for amanda. however, she should really tell mason in person or text a message! she should tell him how she feels, then mason will understand her. i think mason already knows about this sincce it has been put in as a lesson. 

07:58 PM Aug 01 2012 |

MrHiram

MrHiram

Turkey

These things are not supposed to do like texting. If she is really serious abouther feelings, she ought tell him directly. However, there is a huge problem; Mason has most likely a relationship with another one.

07:12 PM Jun 17 2012 |

winter_sonata_nw

Egypt

Move on .Amenda! that’s the only possible solution,and if he really loves you,he will come back to you without any more attempts .

10:31 PM Dec 11 2011 |

Tina努瑪歐繁

Tina努瑪歐繁

China

agree  with  u~~Cool

03:08 PM Sep 19 2011 |

okezsoke

okezsoke

Hungary

Men likes when girls fancies sometimes and also retracts and keep their pride. We don’t like extremely fancies or too shy girls. Intermediate way is the best. So Amanda has to draw more attention to Mason and after it should take back the tempo. She has her own tricks in seduce, all woman have :)

07:44 PM Jun 24 2011 |

DIVI

Sri Lanka

i learned some useful words . i think the right solution or amanda is tellhim directly that she is loving that guy

04:44 AM Jun 26 2010 |

likaiyumandy

China

i'm a traditional girl,i don't like going after boys,too.i have ever tried one time,told the guy i had a crush on him,but it seems he didn't care about me,it let me feel a little frustration.

12:57 PM Jan 22 2010 |

saloomy

Egypt

I'm about to pull my hair…..hahaha 

We also use this sentence in Arabic when we are angry or mad with someone or something.                                                                

04:53 AM Dec 28 2009 |

mickee85

mickee85

Philippines

I'm not a kind of girl that going after the guy too. Though I know sometimes we have to try, to do something before loosing it. It's better to try and fail than doing nothing but regret for not trying. But sometimes I'm too shy or creepy to do that kind of thing.

03:17 PM Oct 23 2009 |

Tanechka

Russian Federation

there are so few traditional women nowadays! and it's great that Amanda is one of them

08:15 PM Oct 29 2008 |

sautah

Austria

pull my hair out.""

what does it mean?

10:04 PM Jul 09 2008 |

li xu

li xu

China

See  if you tell him your feeling maybe you could get him  otherwise you have no chance at all  so you must try as soon as possible  Traditional way is out of style !

08:39 AM Mar 18 2008 |

lilmike

lilmike

Haiti

All i can say about is when you want to get something, you suppose to fight to get it. So, Amanda, let's your heart talk! Tell him what you get for him!

11:49 PM Feb 26 2008 |

Likes (298):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast