Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

The Bloody Case That Started From A Steam Bun (一个馒头引发的血案),

aljensen

aljensen

United States

Has anyone seen this spoof? I never saw the original movie (The Promise) but the parody sounds really funny. Is it available on youtube?

09:36 PM Jun 11 2008 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

holly&honey

China

i think most chinese have seen the spoof,or at least heard of it. as for the original movie(promise), it's also funny.thinking of the laughters brought by it, i guess it deserves the money on the ticket.

04:13 AM Jun 12 2008 |

dadong

dadong

China

hah ,you have seen this spoof! it's very funny, i like this spoof too,but i haven't seen the original .

05:53 AM Jun 12 2008 |

flora123

flora123

China

This spoof was a big hit   and it  was  very famous in china. even  the  author  got into trouble for this short film.i saw it  many times but i never saw the original film because i don't like the director.

you can find it on youtube .  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIU4udZRKEY

i hope you will understand the  chinese dialogue. 

10:23 AM Jun 12 2008 |

louisa_happy

China

oh…i don't like it…

11:22 AM Jun 12 2008 |

tiffintime

tiffintime

Sri Lanka

Apparently, Chen Kaige's mother-in-law was Mao Tse Tung's English teacher!

huang_and_mum.jpg

Hung Huang and her mother Zhang Hanzhi, who was once Mao's English teacher

Film director Chen Kaige's (陈凯歌) awful but awfully expensive movie The Promise (无极) has been widely panned by Chinese moviegoes and critics alike. A man named Hu Ge (胡戈) made a twenty minute spoof of the film called The Bloody Case That Started From A Steam Bun (一个馒头引发的血案), which was copied on many different websites and Internet forums.

Chen Kaige was enraged, and has started proceedings to sue the author of the spoof, earning the famous director even more ridicule.

Now his ex-wife, Hung Huang (or Hong Huang) has stepped into the fray, on her new blog on Sina.com.

01:03 PM Jun 12 2008 |

aljensen

aljensen

United States

Unforunately, I cannot understand the humor.

I like the concept though. I love comedy. 

04:15 PM Jun 12 2008 |

tiffintime

tiffintime

Sri Lanka

I understand that one of the problems with using a lot of humor in language learning is that what may seem to be amusing in one culture may not be so in another.

http://www.amazon.com/Class-Activities-Penguin-English-Photocopiables/dp/0582427886/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1213337119&sr=8-1

06:07 AM Jun 13 2008 |

showshoes

showshoes

China

I didn't expect this spoof will be a topic in here ,

it's funny ,

I have seen the movie a long long time ago ,

it's beutiful scenery , but not the story is .

03:43 PM Jun 13 2008 |