Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

about ur first job or any advice about it...

sherryrain

sherryrain

China

well,maybe I'll try to find a job in an Italian resturant.I don't need to be paid.Just wanna have a different experience.just during the summer holidays…cz i'll go to the university in September…so i just wanna do something exciting.i am not sure whether the boss will hire me.does anybody wanna say something about it?Yellot tell me some about Italian culture?thanks.

02:40 PM Jun 15 2008 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

sherryrain

sherryrain

China

hehe

02:41 PM Jun 15 2008 |

pop272001

pop272001

Indonesia

U don’t need to paid? Sure? I suggest U not to say that to your boss! They will think U don’t have ability so u don’t appreciate your work/effort! Better u said that u will do your best and promise your boss that he can count on u! (even u don’t know its job coz this is your first time job! But show him that u can!)

07:58 PM Jun 15 2008 |

gkisseberth

Colombia

I have never worked in a restaurant but all I have read or heard from people with that experience is that it is very hard and not always rewarding work. In some places, servers can make a lot of money from tips, but it's still very difficult. Kitchen work, (unless you are a head chef or sous chef, I imagine) can be grueling. 

But it would be a valuable experience. I do agree that you should not be too eager to say that you will work without pay. 

I'm not really sure you will learn much about Italian culture, either. Unless the owner or other employees are from Italy. 

08:02 PM Jun 15 2008 |

sherryrain

sherryrain

China

well,well,i really appreciate the advice from u guys…yeah,the boss is italian,and the waitress are local people.i just had a meal at that resturant yesterday and i found that i can do better than them…so should i call him first or just go there directly or…..?i think if i know some italian culture,maybe i could do the job better(since the customers there are almost all italian…)anyway,i am so glad to have such advice from u…yeah,i won't do cooking.maybe just take the order or just open the doorsSealed...that is really new to me…

02:18 AM Jun 16 2008 |

pop272001

pop272001

Indonesia

Well done!! since this is your first job and just for add your experience…it doesn't matter if U just take the order or open the doors and say to your friend " Guest Coming , handle please"...(LOL…that welcome words when I enter Some restaurants in my country!!)Laughing

03:39 AM Jun 16 2008 |

sherryrain

sherryrain

China

hahaha,sounds so exciting.I can't wait.Laughingby the way,Italian food are so excellent.hehe

anyway,i'll seize this opportunity…or u guys wanna talk about ur first job?

04:09 AM Jun 16 2008 |

pop272001

pop272001

Indonesia

if u mean PIZZA, Spaghetti or Lassagna..No doubt of it… but the most fav is PIZZA

my first job?? ha..ha do U wanna  know, dear?? I just been a stand girl..my job was just stand (forbidden to sit, even a minute!! Yell). it was so boring..but I enjoyed it!! I took that job just two weeks, coz I should ben busy with my last report in college..and consulting with my lecture. So I left that job and my lovely friends in that shops (I worked for Jeans Shop where sell Levis, 101..or brand of Jeans..).

04:40 AM Jun 16 2008 |