Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

What do you know about Uruguay?

SantiagoC

SantiagoC

Uruguay

I want to hear you, because it seems everybody know nothing =P

A beach in Punta del Este luxury touristic city in Maldonado. Turistic calpital city of MerCoSur (European Union of the South American countries)

Cabo Polonio, A virgin place, where there are just a few natural hotels, where you can stay. It is made for people to relax and get far away from everything.

This building is called Casa Pueblo, in Portezuelo, a nice village near the sea 

Legislative Palace, in Montevideo, my hometown. A historical luxury building (the roof is made with pure gold), Now the parliament works there

Teatro Solis in Montevideo, one of the most important theaters in Latin America

Independence Square in Montevideo, the center of the country. In the picture you can see Artigas, our national hero. And in the back there is a building that used to be the highest building in Latin America

Telecomunication Tower, also in Montevideo, I think comments are not needed!

Natural hot springs in Salto

Rural Uruguay in Ribera

Puma Water Font, in Minas (Salus Park)

Colonia del Sacramento  a historical city that shows the old wars between Spain and Portugal, which both wanted to conquer Uruguay

Nueva Helvecia  My favourite Uruguayan town, it is in the Colonia department and almost all people there are descendent of Swiss people, but there are also Austriac and German.

Pilsen Rock Festival in Durazno (done every year)

And the best! In Uruguay every kid has his own laptop! 1st country in the world

Some Information

* It is in the south of Brazil and the east of Argentina.

* We belong to the occidental-world and it is an upper income country, with high quality of life.

* Population is 90% of european ancestry and 10% of european mixed with african and indigenous

* It is the 2nd country with less corruption in the Americas (first is Canada)

* Montevideo (the capital city) is one of the 30 capital cities with less crime in the world.

* 3 million of population so not crowded places.

12:36 AM Feb 15 2009 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

bakir

bakir

Saudi Arabia

Hi guys, I don't much about your countery,  But I know that your countery teem playing good football and your people loving football so much. 

so you there bro.WinkWinkWink

09:44 AM Feb 15 2009 |

CaN I CrY

CaN I CrY

Turkey

I loved pics :)) thanks for share..

Yeaa i know some about uruguay..But not historical or culturell..

:S but i would like to know  a lot things too..

:) But i will really try to search better about Uruguay!

12:21 PM Feb 15 2009 |

SantiagoC

SantiagoC

Uruguay

But I know that your countery teem playing good football and your people loving football so much.  so you there bro.

yeah, bakir, for uruguayan football is very important. The first football world cup was organized in Uruguay in 1930 and we wone it, we also won the football world cup of 1950.

Yeaa i know some about uruguay..But not historical or culturell..

Culturally Uruguay is very like western europe, because 94% of us have european origins (mostly portuguese, spanish, french, english, italian, german, polish, croatian, armenian, russian, lithuanian, irish, serbian, scotlish), they influenced a lot of lifestyle, our art, and architecture. Musically we are more influenced more of african people (6%). In Uruguay there are not indigenous people because they were killed by european.

We eat too much cow meat and "mate" it was a typical indigenous drink.

I have uploaded more pictures =)

05:08 PM Feb 15 2009 |

SantiagoC

SantiagoC

Uruguay

thank you all, you all are welcome to Uruguay =)

06:40 PM Feb 15 2009 |

shad84

shad84

United States

i know that its state capital is Santiago and that its in Sudamericana

09:40 PM May 15 2009 |

SantiagoC

SantiagoC

Uruguay

You are wrong, shad. The capital city of Uruguay is Montevide. Santiago is the capital city of Chile.

04:24 AM May 16 2009 |

shad84

shad84

United States

you are also wrong Santiago…..the state capital is MONTEVIDEO…..but not MONTRVIDE…..gotcha..woo-hoo

12:01 AM May 17 2009 |

SantiagoC

SantiagoC

Uruguay

LOL, sorry Shad, I wrote worngly Montevideo :S I don't know the name of my city xD lol

05:34 PM Jul 24 2009 |

miguepani

miguepani

Argentina

SantiagoC you live in a beautiful country. I know it!!!
Beautiful beach, and very good people.
Who visit Uruguay have to drink “mate”.
The “mate” is a drink.
congratulation!!!

02:56 AM Jul 25 2009 |