Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

POPULAR FOODS

Sina16

Sina16

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

Hi,

Dear friends

A: Which three local foods are the most popular in your country?

B: Which three international foods are the most popular in your country?

regards

A:

1.CHELOW KABAB

2.CHELOW MORGH

3. CHELOW JOOJEH KABAB

B:

1.MACARONI (PASTA)    ITALIAN  

2.PIZZA  -  ITALIAN  -

3.HAMBURGER – ? -

04:16 PM Mar 09 2010 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Sina16

Sina16

Hi,

How are you Dear Julissita?

Thanks for your comment & pictures here.

The 3rd your local food , think is chicken ,right?

If so, Its better to say it is one of the most popular food in the world too.

every where that you go you can see it.

It is so tasty.

have a nice time

regards

03:33 PM Mar 10 2010 |

Tsaokuohua

China

I think these foods are very good for eat!

08:14 AM Mar 11 2010 |

Sina16

Sina16

Hi,

How are you Dear  Julissita ?

Thanks for your comment here.

Yeah ,chicken in my language is JOOJEH ,so the 3rd local popular food that I have introduced it here is chicken but it has cut in small parts & has put on a skewer ,sure if you cooke it on charcoal  fire,it will be so yummy.

we make it boiling in water after frying in oil too (secon local popular food)

we make it as same as you say too.

chelow or polow (almost like the first part of the name of your 3rd local popular foods, is something which has made by rice :

Ingredients:
- 500g (l lb) Basmati long grain rice
- 7 tablespoons salt
- 100ml (3 fl oz) vegetable oil
- garnish
- 4 teaspoons liquid saffron
- 60 g (2 oz) clarified unsalted butter Direction recipe:
 1. Pick over the rice, wash thoroughly in 5 or 6 changes of water, and leave to soak in salted water to cover by at least 21/2 cm (1 in) for 3 hours.

2. Bring about 2 litres (4 pints) of water with 3 tablespoons salt to a rapid boil in a 3 litre (6 pint) saucepan.

3. Pour off excess water from rice and pour into fast bubbling water. Bring back to the boil and boil for 2-3 minutes. After 2 minutes, test to see if rice is ready: the grains should be soft on the outside but still firm in the center. Strain and rinse with tepid water. Toss rice gently in colander.

4. Return the rinsed out saucepan to the heat and add oil and 2-3 tablespoons water. Heat till sizzling.

5. Sprinkle one layer of rice across the bottom. Then spread the rest of rice and building it up into a conical shape.

6. Poke two or three holes through the rice to the bottom with the handle of a wooden spoon. Wrap the saucepan lid in a clean teacloth and cover pan firmly.

7. Keep on high heat for 2-3 more minutes until rice is steaming, then reduce heat to low, for at least 30 minutes. The rice can be kept warm and fresh on the very lowest heat for a further hour or even longer.

8. Place saucepan on a cold wet surface and leave for a minute or two. while waiting, melt the butter and put aside for garnish. Lightly mix 2 or 3 tablespoons of rice with the liquid saffron in a small bowl, reserve for garnish.

9. To dish up, gently toss the rice and sprinkle lightly on to a warmed dish in a symmetrical mound. Garnish with the saffron rice, and pour the melted butter all over to give it a sheen.

10. Finally, remove the crusty bottom and serve on a separate plate.  

Have a nice time.

regards 

http://www.englishbaby.com/forum/LifeTalk/thread/311145?from_search_page=1

02:21 PM Mar 11 2010 |

Sina16

Sina16

Hi,

How are you Dear Tsaokuohua?

Thanks for your comment here.

sure they are yummy….

lol

I am hungry now

wowow

02:27 PM Mar 11 2010 |

dabbid

dabbid

Spain

nice thread:

spanish foods:

paella: 

tortilla:

jamon serrano 

internacionals:

spagetti, maccarroni and pizza. For us these italian meals are as common as spanish meals.

best wishes friends.

05:22 PM Mar 12 2010 |

sunay

sunay

Turkey

Hello Dabbit,

Can you explain us how to cook paella?  

08:48 PM Mar 12 2010 |

Eleniya

Eleniya

Russian Federation

I adore paella and seafood!!! I tried it in a restaurant and now I can cook it myself, may be a bit differ from the original, but also delicious!!! Smile

Here the approximate recipe of paella:

1. Chop up a red onion, four cloves of garlic, and two tablespoons of parsely, and then dice two green peppers.

2. Use a box grater to to puree two ripe tomatoes, after removing the skin.

3. Peel eighteen large shrimps. Cut two squid tubes into rings, and prepare twelve mussels. Cover and refrigerate these.

4. This part is essential. Preparing the sofrito sauce. heat two table spoons of olive oil in the pan that you are using at a medium heat, and then cook the chooped red onion, three of the cloves of garlic, and the parsely for eight minutes. During this time, occaisionally stir the sauce. Add the tomatoes and also add two teaspoons of paprika, and cook until the liquid from the tomatoes has evoporated.

5. While the sauce is cooking, put the mussels in simmering water. Steam at a low heat for five minutes, and themussels will open.

6. Add a tablespoon of olive oil to the paella pan, and cook for 1.5 minutes. Add the  squid, with salt and black pepper, and cook for 1.5 minutes. Then remove the squid and mix it with salt and black pepper.

7. Add the sofrito sauce to the pan, along with 1.5 cups of medium-grain rice, and cook for a minute while stirring.
8. Add three cups of chicken or fish stock, 1.5 teaspoons sea salt, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, and a pinch of saffron threads. Cook for ten minutes without stirring.
9. Lower the heat to a gentle simmer and cook for 15 minutes. Then turn up the heat again for a minute until you can smell the rice toasting. Remove the paella pan from the heat.
10. Add the seafood and cover for five minutes.
11. Enjoy!
Tip: you may add as much or as little of the seafood as you want. also, instead of medium grain rice, you can use Bombay rice.

08:20 AM Mar 13 2010 |

Eleniya

Eleniya

Russian Federation

Russian borsch Smile

Pelmeni (almost the same as ravioli)

Also Japanese, Chinese, Georgian, Ukrainian, Armenian, Italian food is popular in Russia nowadays…

08:29 AM Mar 13 2010 |

Sina16

Sina16

Hi,

How are you dear dabbid?

thanks for your comment & pics here.

they seem so yummy

lol

I don't know why Italians food specially macaroni & pizza are popular all around the world?

have a nice time.

regards

04:12 PM Mar 13 2010 |

Sina16

Sina16

Hi,

how are you Dear kobiet.ka?

Thnaks for your comment & pic here.

Sure, almost all iranians at least have one meal rice as their food (most of them as lunch), of course the recipe of it is a little different with east asian countries.(I wrote it in one of my comments here.

have a good time.

regards

04:18 PM Mar 13 2010 |