Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

why wedding dress are white ??

lolita_lempicka

Yemen

As my information the white wedding dress was orignated in 1840 – by Queen victoria .Queen Victoria chose white not because it symbolized purity, but because she wanted to show her people that she would run the country in an economical way. White was a much less expensive color to make than the colors typically popular for wedding dresses at the time (red, black, and purple). Plus, it gave her the option of using some lace that she already owned, rather than having something specially made.

So basically, the white dress was originally a political move.and till our days white wedding dress beacome a tradtion women wedding dress for most all over the world countries .so whats your opinon ? do you have any more information and ideas about it?

06:17 AM Oct 17 2010 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Whitney S

Whitney S

Colombia

Lol!! That's exactly what I was wondering the last week and I got to this conclusion:

Perhaps they are white in order to represent the purity of the bride.

Nowadays there are some girls who marry in non white wedding dresses. Check this out: http://trulyweddingblog.com/wedding-attire/maggie-sottero-scarlet-red-wedding-dress

09:08 AM Oct 17 2010 |

lolita_lempicka

Yemen

oh whitney i realy luv the wedding dress style eventhought the colors doznt match ..but realy fashinable modles dresses ..thanx 4 sharing..

kobiet..i agree with you making change with fashion but not colorful1 oh nooo lool

12:50 PM Oct 17 2010 |

Whitney S

Whitney S

Colombia

Lol!!! nice question, Julissita. I think the answer talks by itself xD

Nowadays, if the white dresses mean purity, then most girls wouldnt be able to wear it on their wedding Lol!!

11:48 PM Oct 17 2010 |

f_r_a_n_c_e_s_c_o

Italy

I'm sorry if I write something wrong on this argument (i'm sorry in advance). So, I think the bride wears a white dress because the woman is a symbol of purity, honesty, morality, kindness, innocence and so on. The bridegroom cannot that reflect the brightness and the beauty of the woman whom he'll marry. I've always thought that for a woman the wedding is a step much more felt than for we men. I've always thought that every girl imagines and dreams a special and perfect wedding, and when that moment arrives every thing should be perfect for her. The white dress of the bride is the mirror of the perfect moment that every woman wants to live in the wedding's cerimony. For men is different, we don't think about wedding in this deep way like women, and for me this is the real motive for which the bride wears a white dress and the bridegroom doesn't. Obviously, this is my thinking and can be totally wrong, but I think women are more sensitive of men in certain things.
Good night.

11:57 PM Oct 17 2010 |

lolita_lempicka

Yemen

LOOOL Whitney , for you information in aribian & islamic countries all the womens are so pure and if they are not no1 marry them , cuz puirty considerd as a holy Dignity, honor and chastity .

francesco : no need to be sorry , thanx for your sharing :)

julissita : i guess mans wear black so that they complete each other black & white and this is hows they are going to share life together …

hakimi thanx wish u the same :)

07:03 AM Oct 18 2010 |

Lemson lifa

Malawi

Wow idk

02:05 AM Oct 19 2010 |

Whitney S

Whitney S

Colombia

Wow! That dress is really beautiful and glamorous!

04:16 AM Oct 19 2010 |

lolita_lempicka

Yemen

OMG Hakimi ..charming  and so simple dress i realy do  like it :) thnxxx alot

12:00 PM Oct 19 2010 |

evrenusa

Azerbaijan

I THINK THAT BOTH MAN AND WOMAN WANT FEEL THAT BRIDE AND GROOM THE BEST PURE PERSONS IN THE WORLD AND WHEN WOMAN WEAR WHITE DRESS SHE LIKE AS ANGELInnocent

06:20 PM Oct 20 2010 |

evrenusa

Azerbaijan

I THINK THAT BOTH MAN AND WOMAN WANT FEEL THAT BRIDE AND GROOM THE BEST PURE PERSONS IN THE WORLD AND WHEN WOMAN WEAR WHITE DRESS SHE LIKE AS ANGELInnocent

06:20 PM Oct 20 2010 |