Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

if i say ''turkey''

iwish

Turkey

hey!!!!  i just wanna know what you are thinking about TURKEY. İt can be few words too. What do you know about TURKEY. thanks for everyone who share their idea with me.THANKS…..

08:56 AM Nov 21 2010 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

H.EDDIN

Syrian Arab Republic

kind of birds served in most at ceremonies 

11:53 AM Nov 21 2010 |

dwaqaddi

dwaqaddi

Philippines

haha for me if you say" TURKEY" - I feel hungry  ^ ^, hahaha…

08:17 PM Nov 21 2010 |

javamanju

javamanju

India

Unfortunately in certain parts of South India the word "Turka"(derived from the word Turk) is a derogatory term used against Muslims in India to indicate their foreign ancestry  .

04:40 PM Nov 22 2010 |

Whitney S

Whitney S

Colombia

Whenever I hear that word I think of culture, history, and kind, romantic people like my friends :)

It makes me happy! :) 

09:57 PM Nov 22 2010 |

SantiagoC

SantiagoC

Uruguay

03:03 PM Nov 24 2010 |

orkunaydin350

Turkey

agree with Eylem. Here is called Türkiye. not an animal. Here is a country. if you dont know, ask your politicans. all of them know here and i am sure want…

12:56 AM Nov 26 2010 |

Radunagi

Radunagi

United States

The animal was named after the country (in English).  Even though it was actually a bird native to the Americas, it got exposure to non-Spanish Europe through Ottoman traders.

I think in Turkey the bird is actually called "Hindi" because of early misconceptions that the new world was India.  Can a Turkish person confirm that?

When I think about Turkey the country, I think about a really smart Turkish girl who went to my old high school that I used to have a crush on.  I also think about Döner Kebabs and all the Turks I met in Germany.  

04:55 AM Nov 26 2010 |

my_high_IQ

my_high_IQ

Azerbaijan

Radunagi,We do call that bird ''Hind toyugu'' which means  ''Indian bird'' but I didnt know  what the derivation was.Thank you for the excursion into the historical domain  :)

and about Turkey…there are  so many things I associate with this word:).. don't even know what to start from..

great country,great people, great nation, neighbour country, a lot of friends of mine..

01:34 PM Nov 26 2010 |

Whitney S

Whitney S

Colombia

Pobres pavos…

06:37 AM Dec 01 2010 |

SantiagoC

SantiagoC

Uruguay

totalmente de acuerdo Whitney!

01:10 PM Dec 01 2010 |