Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

How to raise weight

iriszhang2011

China

I am always so slim, and everyone always say I should be fatter, I do really hope can be fatter. But it is really difficult for me. Any suggestion? Thanks!

01:28 PM Jan 19 2011 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Abd'Arrahman

Tunisia

There are two ways to gain weight, one is a healthy way and the other one causes many health problems. gaining weight means either you gain muscles or fat and gaining fat is what causes health problems. To gain fat you need to eat too much carbohydrates (pasta), meat, fried food, sweets, cake, icecream, etc,. Moreover, you need to avoid vegetables and fruits. You also need to avoid any kind of sports or movement. But becareful! Don't follow this way because it leads to death. Never try it!

The good way to gain weight is to make your muscles' volume increase. to do this you need to eat healthy food and practice some bodybuilding exercises. The internet is full of information about healthy food and especially food needed for bodybuilding. You can go to a gym and with the help of an instructor you can gain the weight you wish.

03:15 PM Jan 19 2011 |

HACCEP

HACCEP

Australia

eat eat eat eat 

10:07 PM Jan 20 2011 |

MONY----

MONY----

Egypt

Oh lucky you :)  :)  :)

eat desserts  ,fried potato egg  , milk , bread Oooh I tell you everything I try to quit

hehehe

but I know chinese food is push you to lose weight becouse dishes cooked by oil

instead 

of butter and spices like ginger and hot pepper are  recommanded to lose

weight ,hot water also and green tea burn additional calories of your body

10:26 AM Jan 22 2011 |

iriszhang2011

China

haha. Thanks. I will eat more.

01:53 PM Jan 24 2011 |

merro

merro

Saudi Arabia

I hope to increase my weight at least 10 or 15 kg. but I do not want to increase my weight by the muscle because I am female, but my uncle says, the sport stretches the body and make my bones grow but I am not convinced of this because I am 21 years old and it is impossible
i will try eat more and Underestimat of the movement

06:12 PM Jan 24 2011 |

monica_sc

China

lz,i have the same question to you.

did you increase you weight,please?

07:40 AM May 31 2012 |

WobblyJoe

WobblyJoe

United States

Good suggestions. My only comment is that raise and gain and increase are not the same words. We raise things that are lowered again or might be. Like with a pulley or something. There are many other uses for raise (like: to build) but I think that one is closest to the the question. Weight is gained when it is body weight, increased if you are adding weight to something else. Hope that helps more than the advice. As for gaining weight, nutritious food and exercize is my vote.

08:29 AM May 31 2012 |

WobblyJoe

WobblyJoe

United States

Helps more than my advice on gaining weight I meant,

08:31 AM May 31 2012 |

WobblyJoe

WobblyJoe

United States

Shoot, I got to stop rereading my posts. Body weight can indeed be increased, but when to use ‘increase’ and when to use ‘gain’ are in context and I hadn’t thought of a context where body weight is increased when I wrote that. When I have seen it used, the phrase increase in body weight has been associated like with a doctors questions or symptoms or a fitness/exercise class, etc. Sorry for the confusion and I am not positive what or why the difference in them but it seems that in usage increase implies a direct intentional maybe immediate act while in context, gained seems to imply increase over time, like what happens with body weight.

08:38 AM May 31 2012 |

WobblyJoe

WobblyJoe

United States

Yeah I know, shut up old man, But in rereading, Monica’s question “Did you increase your weight?” (or “has your weight increased?”) is what a doctor might ask you because it’s a formal style of speech and the increase might not be your intent but the result of a physical condition. “Have you gained weight?” Is what your mom or somebody familiar with you might ask you. or so it seems to me.

And to Merro I say, if you don’t like the look of body builder muscle, go for dancer muscle. Your body will be just as happy and healthy and you will have a female form many men find attractive, not that there is anything wrong with female body builders but you expressed a desire to avoid heavy muscle. Your uncle is right. Strong bones will be important as you age, get fit while you are young.

08:53 AM May 31 2012 |