Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

Is there a greater nation than America

JohnSmith

Bulgaria

No matter how much some people hate USA, it is still the greatest country in the world. It's the best example for how democracy should go, how to work and how to live. But it's not easy to be understood by everyone, especially by people with first english words like "insert coin, play again". You still do not believe me? Check this, maybe you'll change your mind:

http://ed.sjtu.edu.cn/rank/2007/ARWU2007_Top100.htm

http://www.nrao.edu/

http://www.nasa.gov/

07:56 AM Oct 17 2007 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Hab

Russian Federation

All great empires have fallen. USA will not be exception. Just business of the time. This empire is very young in terms of history. But now it is the greatest, I agree with you. That is why USA goverment thinks that it can send it's soldiers anywhere it want.

08:32 AM Oct 17 2007 |

JohnSmith

Bulgaria

I do not think it is an empire because there are no other nations within it which want to separate from the country. Unlike Turkey with the kurd population, or China with Tibet, most of the the USA population is proud to be american, from the indians, through first european settlements till nowadays newcomers. Most of the empires in history ruled over other nations.

Also after some time every military commander from some banana republic, or somewhere in Africa or Asia will want to have a nuclear weapon. Not only North Korea, Iran and Pakistan. Who will stop them, UN, CNN, Amnesty International?

08:45 AM Oct 17 2007 |

Nasim

Nasim

India

The politics…..................that's it.

Once upon a time Vienna had a great influence upon world politics.

Once upon a time London was the true capital of the of the emipre about which it was fammous "The sun never sets in the british empire"

And now Washington is ruling the world.

One day it will also become history and players like Moscow, beijing, tokyo, New delhi will arise…...evrything is a mtter of time.

I say America is the BEST country in several sectors but not all. And u can't judge how great a nation is by just merely looking at its material achievements…................For a prson his/her own country is the greatest. Hope u understand what I mean.

08:46 AM Oct 17 2007 |

Hab

Russian Federation

JohnSmith you're right about nuclear weapon

10:13 AM Oct 17 2007 |

lind@

lind@

Algeria

LOOK FOR THOSE WHO BROUGHT SCIENCE TO THIS WORLD AND NOT TO THOSE WHO HAVE SOME GOOD ARCHITECTS… (link 1)

03:47 PM Oct 17 2007 |

Nasim

Nasim

India

Well said progression….......u seem pretty logical…....

04:02 PM Oct 17 2007 |

lind@

lind@

Algeria

Well said Nu Pogodi…

12:18 PM Oct 18 2007 |

kane17

kane17

Germany

yea sure..GERMANY Laughing

08:49 PM Oct 18 2007 |

Mapleleaf Man

Canada

"No matter how much some people hate USA, it is still the greatest country in the world. It's the best example for how democracy should go, how to work and how to live."

It's certainly not 'the greatest country in the world' by any stretch of the imagination. And it's not the best example of democracy. Americans are not free to criticize their government. They think they are but they aren't. As soon as one goes against what Bush says, they are branded a traitor. Less now but when the 'war' in Iraq started no one dared speak up against Bush. TV hosts lost their shows, newspapers refused to print the truth etc.

Take a tour through some of the poorer states, Mississippi and Alabama and then let us know how democracy is working. Count the number of poor, black males in your prisons and describe to us what kind of democracy you are speaking about. Take 100 Americans and have them try to find the US on a globe. Ask some of the ghosts of the murdered gay and lesbian population in your Western states if they think your democracy worked for them. Then let us know how great your country is.

After watching years of Viet Nam on tv and after seeing the sorry state of affairs in Iraq at the moment, and this is a country that was far safer and better to live in BEFORE the invasion, I don't think anyone here is really too excited about the US protecting us. I think the world needs protection AGAINST the US instead.

Finally, you could ask the parents and relatives and wives and sweethearts and children of the thousands of Americans who have given their lives fighting a war that Bush started on a whim. I'm sure they might have something to say about the US being the greatest and how democracy is working for them. Or ask the guys and girls who have come back from the war, basically in pieces emotionally and physically, and see if they agree with you. Many of them cannot even get their old jobs back after serving in Iraq.

I usually don't comment on swaggering posts like this but this time I felt I had to. There are many, many people on Ebaby who will remain silent but who agree wholeheartedly with what I am saying. And I sure don't mind standing out in a crowd.

The US will not win anything in Iraq and will leave that country torn apart just as they left Viet Nam torn apart thirty years ago. If only the US had listened to common sense before going into this, thousands of men, women and children would still be around to listen to the 'we're the greatest' rhetoric. These days, 'we're the greatest' falls on deaf ears. China isn't democratic now but, in my opinion, China and India are rapidly becoming the greatest countries in the world. Billions and billions of people agree. 

09:44 PM Oct 18 2007 |

radheshy

radheshy

India

Well said mapleleaf man !

08:08 AM Oct 19 2007 |