Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Ask Ebaby! Teachers Go Super!

Assistant Director or Director Assistant, which one is correct? Pls help asap

hncuong1978

Viet Nam

Hi Englishbaby!

I'm applying for a vacancy position for a foreign company in my country. That position is to assist the director in managing business. So should I write the position as "Director Assistant" or "Assistant Director" ? Which one is the correct one ? At some point of time in my career, I heard they say the so-called position "Assistant Manager". So which one is correct, Assistant Director or Director Assistant?. Thanks a lot

11:03 AM Oct 18 2010 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Teacher AmySuper Member!

United States

Hi! I think the best way to phrase this would be "Assistant to the Director" or "Director's Assistant." 

AmySmile

08:38 PM Oct 18 2010 |

Teacher AmySuper Member!

United States

One more note—"Assistant Director" is a more common title, but it means that you help manage business; you are like the #2 director. Is that what the job is? I wasn't sure from your description.

08:43 PM Oct 18 2010 |

hncuong1978

Viet Nam

Thanks Amy, I don't really understand what the phrase "Assistant Director" means until now, and that is thanks to your response. I guess I'm gonna go with the phrase "Director's Assistant" on my application because that position is more like an assistant to the director than a second director. So sad, I'm really into English and I just can write, read, but have to struggle to listen and speak with the natives. I've spent 14 years in my life to learn English but still get trouble to listen and speak. That's so discouraging

11:30 AM Oct 19 2010 |