Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

goose bumps

goose bumps

Date: Aug 31 2006

1. Quote - Listen to the quote and guess what the slang means.

“I get goose bumps at the end of that movie all the time!”

Keanu Reeves, talking about how he feels at the end of his new science fiction thriller, A Scanner Darkly.

Definition

1. Definition - Study the definition.

small bumps that pop up on one’s skin when one is emotional or cold

2. Use - Learn how the slang is used.

Getting goose bumps is a common human experience. If you’re scared or cold, you might get those little bumps all over your skin, often on your arms or on the back of your neck.

If you’re cold, You can say, “I’ve got goose bumps!”

If something affects you on an emotional level, you may get goose bumps. For example, if you read a beautiful poem, or experience extreme joy or shock, you can say, “That gave me goose bumps.”

Fear can also cause goose bumps. For example, if you’re watching a scary movie, you can say, “I’ve got goose bumps,” or “That gave me goose bumps.”

Examples

1. Examples - Hear some example sentences.

“Have you seen Silence of the Lambs? In that scene at the end when they’re in the basement, I got goose bumps!”

“I wish I had a jacket. I’ve got goose bumps!”

“When my brother read from his favorite book at our father’s funeral, I got goose bumps.”

Winners

1. Winners - See who guessed the slang definition correctly.

reginer7 It means I am frightened by the movie. btw,it's also the name of a series of book written by RL Stine.
by reginer7
Lucy30 If you get goose bumbs, your hairs stand up straight and very small lumps appear on your skin, because you are cold, frightened, or excited!!! I alway get goose bumbs when I watch Keanu's movies!! :)
by Lucy30
frightend
by freetingwu
He gets excitedly trapped, expectant of what the end of the movie will be. Even knowing the end, he can't stop getting goose bumps.
by il teachesseur
constfang Maybe goose bumps describes the feeling of being scared.
by constfang
when you are chilled,or when you are scared you get goose bumps.your body hair becomes stright on your body.
by maryonline
to be surprised
by wonkapet
jevelie i think goose bumps means nervous or scared or something that makes your heart beats so fast and your thinking what will be the outcome of your work or what will be the result after,
by jevelie

Want to guess next week's slang?

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Comments

surana

surana

Malaysia

goose bumps means terror feelings

05:43 AM Mar 31 2007 |

constfang

constfang

China

hehe

12:06 PM Aug 31 2006 |

episod

episod

United States

This movie was great! The novel by Phillip K. Dick is also terrific. It has been translated into many languages.

12:31 AM Aug 31 2006 |

Likes (41):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast