Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Show Off
Show Off English, baby! Video Lesson

Learn the present perfect progressive

Date: Mar 01 2011

Themes: Soap Opera

Grammar: Present Perfect Progressive

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Everyone likes to be recognized for their accomplishments. But some people like to be recognized a little more than others. OK, maybe a lot more. If you do something just to be recognized for your talent or achievement, you are showing off.

Someone who likes to show off is called a showoff. It can be both a verb or a noun. Ella recently won the Employee of the Year award. She and her boyfriend Jeff are on a double date with Jason and Devan. Will Ella take the opportunity to show off?

3. Watch - Watch the video without reading the dialog.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Jason

Jason

Ella

Ella

Devan

Devan

Jeff

Jeff

Jason:  It’s cool hanging out with you guys in a foursome like this. Hey, congratulations.

Ella:  Oh, yes. I got Employee of the Year. Isn’t that amazing?

Devan:  What? We have employee of the year?

Ella:  Yeah, I know. I think I started it because of all the hard work I’ve been doing, but I mean, it’s nothing new to me. I’ve won beauty contests, rap contests…I had really good cuticles one year…

Jason:  Really?

Ella:  ...at my nail salon that I go to a lot.

Jason:  Cuticles. That’s fascinating.

Ella:  I did! I got free manicures for like a whole year. I could totally give you one of those. You could just wear a little wig and you could go in and get your cuticles done too.

Jason:  I need one so bad.

Devan:  Was I nominated for Employee of the Year?

Jason:  Didn’t you help decide Employee of the Year? Aren’t you co-president of the company?

Devan:  Maybe next year…

Ella:  What else have I won? One time, I made my own dress and it was so beautiful…

Jeff:  Could you maybe not be such a showoff?

Ella:  Showoff? I mean, how is it showing off when it’s fact? And plus, you show off all the time.

Jeff:  Well, I have a reason to show off. I mean, having my law degree posted up in every single room in the house isn’t anything…

Ella:  You have an animated mini-version in your wallet. I mean, I’m not bragging, this is everyday life for me, so it’s not my fault. It’s fact. How’s that showing off?

Jeff:  It’s just useless self-promotion. You didn’t deserve any of that.

Ella:  What? I worked hard for all my accomplishments, thank you.

Jeff:  Just to rub it in everybody else’s face?

Ella:  No, I’m sharing my experiences so they can better themselves, duh.

Jason:  Check please? Check? Can I get a check?

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Present Perfect Progressive" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Jason congratulates Ella for winning the Employee of the Year award. She says she is not new to winning. She begins listing off contests she has won before including one for having good cuticles.

Devan is confused and didn’t even realize there was an Employee of the Year award. Jason assumed that as co-president of her company, she would have helped to decide the winner. She says she’ll have to do that next year.

Ella continues to brag and Jeff gets upset. He tells her to stop showing off. She denies being a showoff and accuses him of showing off because he keeps copies of his law degree everywhere. While they argue, Jason asks the waiter to bring the check so he and Devan can leave.

Do you think Ella was showing off? Do you know any showoffs? Is showing off something you ever do?

Comments

NIJ321655

NIJ321655

United States

A show off is some one how what to be seen.

01:21 PM May 05 2015 |

sara1998

sara1998

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

You know,i believe that those who show off have some lacks and they want to pretend to sth which isn’t reall and they always wished to have.they want to pretend that every thing’s great about them.

11:08 AM Sep 27 2014 |

1 person likes this

eduard12

eduard12

Ecuador

Well my stepbrother he is a show off ,i mean he’s always showing off he says i am a good bolleyball player i cant stand him sometimes

08:22 PM Feb 09 2014 |

1 person likes this

SKILAt

SKILAt

Brazil

Cool

01:54 AM Nov 20 2011 |

1 person likes this

raulsbSuper Member!

Mexico

No showing off is not something that i ve been doing lately but in when i was young i got used to , Now i am gonig to a gym and i sudenly see a guy that is a total showoff hs name is Jimy.

My best

04:13 PM Sep 23 2011 |

1 person likes this

edgarin2336

Mexico

Jeff is really really atractive…so cute guy.

07:00 PM May 08 2011 |

1 person likes this

1aqsw2Super Member!

United States

A showing off is people's normal action,but when you show off yourself more than normal, people don't like you. People don't want to be your friend anymore. 

10:13 PM Mar 22 2011 |

1 person likes this

juan luis armenta perez

Congo

I'm not bragging. I think that i'm very humble.

12:02 AM Mar 08 2011 |

samsiami

samsiami

Saudi Arabia

Showing off as a kid was something I did a lot as to prove myself back then _, but for adults to show off, it is very childish I guess. 

02:38 PM Mar 05 2011 |

1 person likes this

chanchan01

Viet Nam

Im wondering. A Showoff is someone who keeps talking about his achievement all the time, which makes other people pay attention to his talent. However, how about another person pretends to be too too much humble, and it seems like he wants to attract the others to his accomplishment more and more in a coverd way, like they are applauding and convincing him that he's really good is the truth, so he doesnot need to say a word to show off because they do for him…i think this guy is a boasting too. Am i right? By the way, thanks for this nice lesson

08:18 AM Mar 05 2011 |

1 person likes this

mayare

United Arab Emirates

good lesson

10:40 AM Mar 04 2011 |

1 person likes this

Vicky^^

Vicky^^

South Korea

Yeah, definetely, Ella was showing off. There are bunch of showoffs in this world. Showing off will not make you look intelligent. I think it's better to be humble and let others praise you. By showing off you will never get respect from others unless these significant others are fool enough to believe and agree with everything you are saying.

07:25 AM Mar 04 2011 |

1 person likes this

sofree

sofree

China

Definetely showing off there.

And yes, sometime I do, haha~

03:23 AM Mar 03 2011 |

Wala'a

Wala'a

Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Actually, I can’t make sure that Ella was showing off because I think since anyone of us feels happy of his accomplishments , he needs to express this feeling of pleasure to anyone especially his friends who are so closed to him . That’s happened to me and I’m not showoff anymore.Don’t gloom her and share her happy feelings . my greetings to everyone!!!!!!!!!!

08:35 PM Mar 02 2011 |

1 person likes this

andrespretty2

Colombia

of course, she was showing off, and she did that her boyfriend gets upset.

I have a friend who likes to brag about his achievements, and he rubs in in face of his friends.

I'm a person who doesn't like to show off. 

10:15 PM Mar 01 2011 |

1 person likes this

masterkev

masterkev

Costa Rica

mmmmm… interesting.

08:36 PM Mar 01 2011 |

julito

julito

Argentina

A one year cuticles prize ?, my god !!! this is insane.  

06:33 PM Mar 01 2011 |

alpha girl

alpha girl

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

NICE WORD!! I like itCool

I'm new here so I commented on this lesson to show offWinkLaughing

06:02 PM Mar 01 2011 |

1 person likes this

dpogit91

dpogit91

Viet Nam

Lol:)) my gosh, when a showoff shows herself, I also feel funny, haha.  It's harmless, u know, just when she talks too much and it makes your ears borin. Wow, at that time u have to find ways, maybe to move the conversation to another subject, lol:D

generally, solving the showoffs is not my problem:)

04:24 PM Mar 01 2011 |

julito

julito

Argentina

Because of Ella , this get-together  Sucks.  I had a friend who used to brag all the time , I   couldn´t take it anymore  and decided  to end our friendship. 

03:49 PM Mar 01 2011 |

Likes (21):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast