Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

take it with a grain of salt

简体
take it with a grain of salt
半信半疑

Date: Jan 17 2013

1. Quote - Listen to the quote and guess what the slang means.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

“[My sons] think my fame is funny…They take it with a grain of salt!”

- Pop singer Rick Springfield on his sons’ feelings about having a famous dad. (Us Weekly)

“[我的儿子们]认为我的名气很滑稽……他们对此半信半疑!”

- 流行歌手瑞克·斯普林菲尔德 (Rick Springfield) 谈论他儿子们对有一位明星老爸做何感想。

Definition

1. Definition - Study the definition.

not take something seriously

2. Use - Learn how the slang is used.

Accounts differ about the origin of the phrase take it with a grain of salt. Some say the phrase dates back to the ancient Romans. A recipe for a remedy to a poison included a grain, or a small bit, of salt. Another origin story, also from ancient Rome, is about a general who was trying to make himself immune to poison. He would drink small amounts of poison to try to build up his resistance, and take them with a small amount of salt to make them easier to swallow.

Regardless of the exact origin, the meaning is the same. A little bit of salt lessens the effects of something serious or harmful. Today, when we say we’ll take it with a grain of salt, we’re typically not talking about something as major as poisoning. We simply mean that we won’t take it too seriously or literally. You might say, “My boss told me that he’s going to give me a promotion, but I’ll take his promise with a grain of salt. He’s made that promise before.”

Pop singer Rick Springfield knows that his sons don’t get too caught up in how famous he is. They don’t take it too seriously. In fact, they have a sense of humor about it. They take it with a grain of salt.

Can you think of an occasion where you’ve taken something with a grain of salt?

Examples

1. Examples - Hear some example sentences.

“Sure, I’m honored to receive his praise, but I’ll take it with a grain of salt. He is my father, after all.”

“I’m sorry she yelled at you, but try to take it with a grain of salt. She’s having a bad day.”

“She always tries to take compliments with a grain of salt. She doesn’t want to get a big ego.”

Winners

1. Winners - See who guessed the slang definition correctly.

goodmahsa the sons take their father's fame lightly not seriously
by goodmahsa
a2020 they take it simple not so serious.
by a2020
They don't take it seriously.
by Skywalker84
redemptor Not taking things seriously
by redemptor
anges491 to accept a thing less than fully; to accept it but to maintain a degree of skepticism about its truth
by anges491
Englishty It means they don't take it seriously.
by Englishty
take the thing very light, not seriously value the thing.
by bellaboo2422

Want to guess next week's slang?

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Comments

Dellsey

Dellsey

Slovakia

oh Love sweet Love.. :)

People should be just sweet on themselfes and the world could be much nicer!

09:36 PM Feb 06 2013 |

babysamara

babysamara

Hong Kong

I really this kind of lesson,it benefits me a lot.I mean idiom is one of the important thing that we have to learn when we learn a language.XD

01:42 PM Jan 21 2013 |

whipiry

whipiry

South Korea

nowadays, salt is not essential for our life. in the past, a grain of salt, i guess, was like gold. but it’ not any more. sorrry for that.

I hope “take it with a grain of salt” would be serious someday.

it sounds rediculous!!! pass it away , guys!!!

02:41 PM Jan 20 2013 |

yuminaga

yuminagaSuper Member!

China

a girl who is my co-worker is lovely but she always told me :I am gonna study Japaese and get an A in the end of year, I have believed in it before once ,twice, aboselutely  she was all lost,  recently she told me again :I will get an A, I will take her promise with a grain of salt, she’s made the same promise, who can tell this time will be true?

10:07 AM Jan 20 2013 |

yuminaga

yuminagaSuper Member!

China

My boss always say :you can do it  so you should do much more and my friend alwats say : your English is pretty good . in fact I  dont believe everything like that they said ,i take it with a grain of salt

12:00 AM Jan 18 2013 |

I M P E R I V M

United States

nice lesson, Now I will take life super seriously!!!

09:53 PM Jan 17 2013 |

Ivanna ANGELIC

Ukraine

to have another attitude.

09:51 PM Jan 17 2013 |

aminoo2

aminoo2

Algeria

here is it

08:04 PM Jan 17 2013 |

aminoo2

aminoo2

Algeria

i want the user sandrasam to write to my email cuz she does not receive my messages ..ok?amino1991@ymail.com

08:04 PM Jan 17 2013 |

kaanch02

India

Whether it is success or failure both should be taken with a grain of salt. We shouldn’t take the success to our head at the same time we shouldn’t lose our confidence and live in misery because we failed. Need to learn how to manage both. So take both with a grain of salt. only then we can win.

02:42 PM Jan 17 2013 |

bellaboo2422

Pakistan

we can’t lie doggo all the time in our life, merriments and sorrows find us where ever we are. so we experience many occasions when we take things with the grain of salt. like i always try to take compliments with a grain of salt because usually sycophants use this tool. some times its good enough when we take others tantrum with the grain of salt. life with grain of salt is full of flavours and add a spice in our life. but there are many things which demands maturity and seriousness from us. so there is dichotomy between two things we should handle the things according to consequences. it shows the depth of one’s character.

02:18 PM Jan 17 2013 |

julito

julito

Argentina

Yeah , politicians  make all kind of promises and  like    kissing electors´ babies  , as if this is a prove that  they then   can lay their   trust on them. :)))

01:10 PM Jan 17 2013 |

Nabilo

Nabilo

Germany

I think there are a lot of occasions where we take things with a grain of salt. The most known one is when politiciens make promises while they run an election campaign;)

12:38 PM Jan 17 2013 |

knuschu

knuschu

Germany

When I was 13, I drove a small way downhill with my bicycle. A friend of mine warned me, “There is a ditch on the end of this way!” I took with a grain of salt …. unfortunately …  I broke my collar bone :)

11:56 AM Jan 17 2013 |

julito

julito

Argentina

I know of people that like to flatter others to gain  their trust and confidence. I don´t fall for it  right way. I prefer  to take it with a grain of salt,  knowing that i  wouldn´t be much disappointed  when the same people  speak  ill of me.

11:11 AM Jan 17 2013 |

Wielomian

Wielomian

Poland

In the nature everything is balanced. If we take some things with a grain of salt we should treat other things more seriously. 

dayu1

dayu1

Mexico

take the bad comments about u with a grain of salt what ever people say about u is not the reality so be happy and smile

vip1

vip1

Canada

I take the whole life with a grain of salt !! I think theere is No reason to sress ourselves and take life too seriously !! Life is short so love it, live it well and do good !!

02:24 AM Jan 17 2013 |

Likes (15):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast