Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

American Authors
American Authors

Learn English in this American Authors English lesson

Date: May 16 2014

Themes: Celebrity, Music, Pop Culture

Grammar: There, Their & They're

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Can you describe the best day of your life? Many people would say it was their wedding day. Or the day they had their first child. Or the day they graduated from school or college. Whatever event made that day extra special, it’s certain that you’ll remember it for the rest of your life.

The rock band American Authors has a hit single called “Best Day of My Life.” It’s a title that everyone understands, but the song’s music video has left many fans confused. Is it about finding true love, or having a wild night out?

Even though the music video isn’t completely clear, the band is still popular for its electronic music and vibe. Band members Zac Barnett, Matt Sanchez, James Adam Shelley, and Dave Rublin sing and play in concerts all over the US. They like telling authentic stories through their music, and their fans like hearing them.

Why is there a teddy bear in American Author’s music video for “Best Day of My Life”? Listen to Jessica and Rafael’s answers in today’s English lesson about a rock band.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Jessica

Jessica

Rafael

Rafael

Jessica:  So, Rafael, have you seen the American Authors video for their new song “Best Day of My Life”?

Rafael:  My big question was what was with that weird teddy bear in that video?

Jessica:  I know. I didn’t understand it.

Rafael:  But I love that band. They’re awesome, and they have a nice sound. But I was wondering about that teddy bear.

Jessica:  Yeah, it kind of creeped me out a little bit. It confused me quite a bit.

Rafael:  Maybe it’s about the guy having a wild night out or something like that.

Jessica:  Maybe. It starts with him drinking, so maybe he’s had a little too much? I do like the song. I mean, they kind of sound like a lot of the other bands that are out there right now.

Rafael:  Yeah, but it just has a nice vibe. Because there’s not a lot of electronic instruments, it all sounds pretty natural. It has that nice authentic quality to it.

Jessica:  You know, I will say there was one part where they were all carrying their instruments, walking down the sidewalk. And Mumford and Sons have a video, and they do the same thing! So I felt like they completely stole that.

Rafael:  I love the band, anyway, so I’m going to forgive them those slight indiscretions.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "There, Their & They're" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Jessica and Rafael have an important question: What is the teddy bear doing in an American Authors music video?

The two friends talk about whether the person in the song drank too much alcohol and is dreaming about the bear. Rafael wonders if the wild animal is a picture of a wild night out. He likes the band a lot, so even though he’s confused by the stuffed toy character, he will still listen to music by American Authors.

Jessica, on the other hand, says she is creeped out and confused by the video. She also thinks that American Authors sounds like a lot of other bands and even copied a scene from another band’s video. Her days of listening to American Authors might be over soon.

Do you like American Authors? What do you think about the teddy bear in their music video?

Comments

danielenglish

Chile

I listened the song, it’s very good.

07:23 PM May 18 2014 |

Fernandinha

Brazil

Nice song! I just couldn’t figured out what is the meaning of that teddy bear in the video. Maybe is it the representation of hapiness? Weird…

01:08 PM May 18 2014 |

ashwaniku

ashwaniku

India

Official trailer for Ben Midland’s novel De Spiegel van Ise (The Sacred 
Mirror) <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQMR4q5LXLc>

12:02 PM May 18 2014 |

veronica_mourad

Egypt

Im going to listen that band it seems nice one and actually i want to know what theyre talking about (teddy bear)

08:57 PM May 17 2014 |

manolah

manolah

Syrian Arab Republic

Opps I don’t know them so I am going to search about them..

07:40 PM May 17 2014 |

rosendo

rosendo

Mexico

mm to tell u the true i have not listened that rock band. but i’ll…. i know that this kinda band are famouse by a short piriod of time , but it’s fine , let them be !

06:52 PM May 17 2014 |

ashwaniku

ashwaniku

India

Official trailer for Ben Midland’s novel De Spiegel van Ise

02:59 PM May 17 2014 |

ashwaniku

ashwaniku

India

For the latest news and blogs go to: 
www.benmidland.com

02:57 PM May 17 2014 |

ashwaniku

ashwaniku

India

That is the great thoght by video and site..

STAY CONNECTED !!! 
www.benmidland.com

Latest newsletter and changes site: d.d. February 15 2014

Ben’s novel “The Sacred Mirror” will be published in the U.S. this summer. Besides this, Canada, GB and Australia follow.
GO SEE THE TRAILER:

02:29 PM May 17 2014 |

ashwaniku

ashwaniku

India

STAY CONNECTED !!! 
www.benmidland.com

Latest newsletter and changes site: d.d. February 15 2014

Ben’s novel “The Sacred Mirror” will be published in the U.S. this summer. Besides this, Canada, GB and Australia follow.
GO SEE THE TRAILER:

02:26 PM May 17 2014 |

saeedsirtex

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

I love to be a author, but honestly i hate authors, coz they make competition with me { just kidding}

about teddy , oh it is really nice, i love teddy…. it is really good to use it in bands , it could be remind us the time that we were kid…. it is an official point for make music more sensative …:P

11:04 AM May 17 2014 |

Sandara_Dada

Thailand

Same like a Talor Swift’s Video ” We are never ever getting back together” 

they are a lots of teddy bear and any other stuff like that in her video. lol

maybe it doesn’t mean anything at all lol 

07:20 AM May 17 2014 |

1 person likes this

Zambuka

Zambuka

United States

slight indiscretions ) it’s called plagiarism ))

02:12 AM May 17 2014 |

lira_

lira_

Russian Federation

This is the 1st time I listened to the band and I love it :) I like the music video. It gave me a good mood. The teddy bear made me smile, it’s cute and funny. And I can’t say that there’s something weird in this Beside a lot of crazy music video which are popular now this video has nothing unusual XD

04:11 PM May 16 2014 |

handwriter

handwriter

Norway

It may be that the teddy-bear, or whatever it is, was added to appeal to little kids.  I find this to be a little “cheesy”, but many people are doing this nowadays to possibly appeal to little children when maybe the lyric and dance content would be better geared towards older listeners.  I don’t know.

02:44 PM May 16 2014 |

2 people like this

Olivine

Olivine

Indonesia

Really? A teddy bear? The face is similar to koala, perhaps big koala lol. anyway, the video is cute. Good song.

02:36 PM May 16 2014 |

S&W

S&W

China

It’s my first time to know this band.I agree with Jessica for finding some of the scenes stolen other singers.Cold Play had worn elephant costume in their video”paradise”

11:39 AM May 16 2014 |

schrodinger61

Turkey

I had not  heard the song before but I am listening now and I like it.I don’t understant what does teddy bear mean in this video.in the lyrics of song teddy bear means monster and they aren’t afraid of monster so they dance with teddy bear.In my opinion ,important point is that who is the monster?

04:29 AM May 16 2014 |

Eric_

Eric_

China

Cute Bear.. :))

Wonderful song.

03:07 AM May 16 2014 |

sunny_ling88

China

I heard the song just, I like it the melody is lively but unfortunately I didn’t watch the song’s video and teddy bear.

02:40 AM May 16 2014 |

Likes (20):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast