Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Spotify
Spotify

Learn English meaning of Spotify

Date: Jun 05 2019

Themes: Music, Party, Pop Culture, Tech

Grammar: Simple Future Tense

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Music has been around as long as humans. It is part of our lives, and it probably always will be. But the way we listen to music is always changing. First, we could only hear music if it was played right in front of us. Now, we can listen to songs that are recorded on the other side of the world!

Spotify is an app that allows people to listen to all the music in the world. It costs $10 a month, which is a really good deal for all those songs. Streaming your favorite artist’s music from anywhere is easy using Spotify. Many people think streaming music from home is a novel idea.

Gary just signed up for Spotify. Find out what Sara thinks in today’s English lesson about a new way to listen to music.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Gary

Gary

Sara_R

Sara_R

Gary:  Hey Sara, do you still buy CDs?

Sara_R:  I do, sometimes. I buy them used.

Gary:  You do? I actually signed on to a service called Spotify.

Sara_R:  What is Spotify?

Gary:  It’s really great. It’s revolutionized the listening experience. You can listen to any artist.

Sara_R:  How? What do you mean?

Gary:  So it’s a web service, and so you’re streaming music from the web onto your phone or onto your computer. And you don’t have to worry about buying specific music. You can just listen to all these new artists, or old artists.

Sara_R:  So, it’s capitalizing on streaming. How much does is it cost?

Gary:  It’s only $10 a month.

Sara_R:  That’s kind of a steal.

Gary:  It really is. So, it is hopefully stopping people from pirating music.

Sara_R:  Oh yeah.

Gary:  Because there are so many people just stealing CDs or stealing things from the web.

Sara_R:  Right.

Gary:  It’s such a novel idea, because you never have to buy music again. Because it’s just $10 a month for all of this music.

Sara_R:  That is totally revolutionary.

Gary:  I agree.

Sara_R:  I’m going to try it.

Gary:  Yeah!

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Simple Future Tense" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Gary just started using Spotify. He says that the service has revolutionized the way people can listen to music. He thinks that paying $10 a month for all of his music is a really good deal.

Sara doesn’t use Spotify. In fact, she still buys CDs. But she is interested in new ways to stream her music. She says that $10 a month for all the music in the world is a steal. Sara wants to try using Spotify.

Do you use Spotify? What do you think is the best way to listen to music?

Comments

La Princesse de la vie

Egypt

I have never considered the idea of paying a cent to stream my music. I’ve got Youtube to look for good music with lyrics then I know some free websites for MP3 music and if I don’t find the song I’m looking for on any of them, I always have Google to lead me the right way xD And it never failed me. And it’s not pirating, these people are presenting data for free for reach it.

Why to pay for something while you can get it for free! I’ll always choose the free option xD

01:26 PM Jun 27 2015 |

1 person likes this

iftikhar659668

Pakistan

well, i haven’t use spotfiy app before not i m interested to use it because you have to pay $10 monthly. it quite expensive for some people around here, and these app are for captalizing via internet. i think its not a good deal at all.

however, there are number of pirating apps on internet where you are not supposed to pay for it. you can enjoy streaming the music whatever you loved to hear. the most lovely app i come across through internet is SOUNDCOULD the heart of music, where you can download and listen the music without paying any single amount.

might be spotify app run fastly regardless of low internet speed.

07:02 PM Jun 06 2015 |

macielmarcel

Brazil

Actually I’ve not use this app yet, but we have to recognize the fact it is really a good deal to pay only ten bucks and have whole access to various songs. I’d say it is pretty much like Netflix, in which, for an small amount, you’re able to watch a bunch of movies.

On the other hand I presume you’ve got to have a great mobile internet plan if your are streaming the songs directly onto you cell phone or tablet, otherwise it’s gonna be a sort of “donation” to the app developers. :-)

Cheers to you all!

01:49 PM Jun 06 2015 |

nasrin jojo

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

great,,it would be perfect but i didnt heard it so far!!!i listen to favorite musics by download from some web and i didnt have special problem to load them..thanks alot.

09:26 AM Jun 06 2015 |

Jumanah_s

Kuwait

First of all , I do not use Spotify because I think that 10 Dolars a mounth is very expensive . There are a lot of free versions of Spotify . I do not think paying money for lesson to the musice is a very good idea . You can lessen to the music in the ridio and it is free ! In my opinion , 10 dolars will be very helpful if I buy a cream or something like that ! anyway, this is my openion .

ola33

ola33

Japan

I’ve never used Spotify. Maybe it’s a good idea. Don’t know. I like Youtube. Not only music in there but also audiobooks, some good mediatation. I just downloaded conveter from Youtube into Mp3 and downloaded a professional meditation session. Put it in my player, closed my eyes and in an hour woke up a differen person. The first question, I, like, said, “where am I” Cool stuff! It switches you off totally!!! :)

julito1

julito1

Argentina

Dear Mr. Alston, thanks for your input.  Gary might as well follow your tip and instead use the 10 bucks  buying a humburguer with fries.  hahahaha  

englishteacher24/7

United States

No, I  do not use Spotify, but I do use Hypster which has a very large database of music with videos of the musicians from times past. I’ve created multiple music players on my profile page with music from various genres.

http://hypster.com/

Hypster doesn’t charge any money to access their music database; they receive their revenue from advertisers. Enjoy!

s11211s

s11211s

The idea that you can search music on the internet and finding whatever you want in a blink by your cellphone or PC or your laptop is interesting but I don’t think I can find what I want in Spotify and of course speed of internet in my country is another problem.

A web service for all kind of language, nation and ethnicity, all kind of music from when human start to record music will be universal service for all people all over the world that is what there isn’t on the internet that as far as I know and I hope to one day be available.Of course on that day the speed of internet, everywhere will be faster and reliable. Because these type of streaming music or video service need faster and reliable internet service, that it is currently not available for public, everywhere!

naira71

naira71

Azerbaijan

I didnt hear about spotify and didnt try it,but there are a lot of facilities to download music from internet now and its better to find lovely music patterns in internet.

02:12 PM Jun 05 2015 |

naira71

naira71

Azerbaijan

I didnt hear about spotify and didnt try it,but there are a lot of facilities to download music from internet now and its better to find lovely music patterns in internet.

naira71

naira71

Azerbaijan

naira71

naira71

Azerbaijan

julito1

julito1

Argentina

I don`t use Spotify . Talking about streaming music ,two years  ago or something like that i bought in the US a USB internet radio Jukebox ,the brand name of this small device is Aluratek, it is sold on Amazon 68 dollars . you can search for music by genre or geographically ( worldwide) and 1300 channels .all free  ,   you only need  internet connection, a computer with  a USB port .. plug and play . 

Now that i think about it , is that  i   have only used it a couple of times , i should have thought at the time of purchasing it  if i really needed it .  

Shoba

Shoba

Sri Lanka

$10 means 1357 Sri Lankan rupees. Maybe, it’s not a steal for music lovers who are very particular about what they listen to, but I feel it’s unnecessary to me because I don’t listen to that much music nowadays. 

I think the best way to listen to music is to put our feet up and keep our eyes closed. LOL

ScienceBoy

ScienceBoy

Turkey

I heard about Spotify before but I haven’t tried it yet. I think I will try. 10$ per moth is not much for all the musics.

rester1234

It should be interesting listen to every music we like. Also The price is reasonable.

05:15 AM Jun 05 2015 |

S&W

S&W

China

I don’t use spotify and it is my first time to know this software which sounds good,$10 a week was really a steal.Thanks to all those free resources online so i can download almost all my favorite music for free 

Likes (17):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast