Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Bad Breath
Bad Breath

Learn English meaning of 'bad breath'

Date: Jun 16 2020

Themes: Health

Grammar: Adverbs

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

It’s one thing to tell a friend that he has food in his teeth, or that a pair of jeans doesn’t look great on her. But if you have to confront someone about his halitosis, it’s important to find the right way to say it. A problem with hygiene is a sensitive topic after all, and how you talk about it can affect your friendship.

You can make subtle hints, like asking if your friend would like a piece of peppermint candy. You can take a scientific angle and ask about your friend’s diet, which can make a difference in one’s breath. Another choice is to invite your friend to sit down and just be honest. However you do it, it won’t be easy!

Jessica has a friend with bad breath, and she’s not sure how to tell him. Listen to Gary and Jessica talk about health in today’s English lesson.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Jessica

Jessica

Gary

Gary

Jessica:  So, Gary.

Gary:  Yeah.

Jessica:  I have a really close friend of mine who happens to have halitosis.

Gary:  Oh, no!

Jessica:  Really, really bad breath.

Gary:  That must be so difficult to confront.

Jessica:  I know. It’s a really sensitive topic.

Gary:  Yeah.

Jessica:  And I’ve tried giving subtle hints, but I don’t really know how to let him know about it.

Gary:  Does he have other hygiene issues? I hate to say this, but is there a smell other than his breath?

Jessica:  No. I know he doesn’t have the best diet...

Gary:  OK.

Jessica:  ...and that can affect breath.

Gary:  That definitely can.

Jessica:  But other than that, I don’t really know what angle to take to approach it.

Gary:  I feel really bad for someone like that. He obviously isn’t doing this on purpose.

Jessica:  I know.

Gary:  He must brush his teeth on a regular basis.

Jessica:  He does.

Gary:  What’s he going to do?

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Adverbs" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Jessica has a problem. Her close friend has halitosis, and she doesn’t know how to tell him. It’s clear that Jessica wants to say something, but it’s a sensitive topic and she doesn’t want to embarrass her friend. Not saying something might be worse, though.

Gary doesn’t know how to help Jessica. They agree that the real problem could be her friend’s diet, but they can’t be sure. It’s difficult to confront a friend about personal hygiene, and Jessica’s subtle hints aren’t working.

What’s the best way to tell a friend that he or she has bad breath?

Comments

mahbubeh92

mahbubeh92

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

“what angle to take to approach it”

‘giving subtle hints”

” hygiene issues”  “who happens to have ”

I should try these.

08:52 AM Apr 10 2018 |

La Princesse de la vie

Egypt

In such stance, I prefer to hold in my breath till I get the chance to take in air again, But I’d never tell a friend about such embarassing thing.

Maybe I’d offer a peppermint candy or a refreshing juice to expel the bad breath for a while, although hilatosis seems to be a healthy problem and a peppermint candy won’t help get rid of it. Someone should speak and tell they must change diet or see a doctor if it’s a stomach problem and this one must be in the family, not a friend.

04:21 PM Jun 17 2015 |

S&W

S&W

China

no i won’t tell my friend that he or she has bad breath.But i gonna share sugar or gum with my friend.There are many reasons for bad breath like eating something irritant or digestion disease cause bad breath.but suagr or gum would release bad breath.

03:23 AM Jun 16 2015 |

ola33

ola33

Japan

Just remember once talking to a teacher, I noticed he was repeatedly was making baby steps from me. I was approaching slowly, talking and talking until the teacher hit the wall. :)) the reason was not in bad breath, the reason was in keeping a distance which is a rule in North America. And I didn’t know. It was so funny.

ola33

ola33

Japan

Saying somebody about bad breath is not good even though it’s your friend. Do you think a person is not aware of his problem suffering enough of his internal organs malfunction. Maybe he’s trying to hide it by rinsing his mouth, eating tons of gum, trying to speak as little as possible. The course of bad breath can be different and we’re no doctors to identify and be the eye openers for our lovely friend. Instead, I suggest to concentrate on good character features of your buddy- lift him up rather then put him down- that’s what the friends are for!

10:27 PM Jun 15 2015 |

WalaaDab

WalaaDab

Jordan

It is a bad situation, frankly I met some people have a halitosis but I did not feel them about my annoyance. But I did not bear so I always have a gum to share it with these people because I cannot tell them about their mouth problem.

But everyone must take care about his/her hygiene to avoid  others talks.

Thank you. 

06:37 PM Jun 15 2015 |

ScienceBoy

ScienceBoy

Turkey

Yeah it’s a sensitive topic. I care so much about my personel hygiene but sometime I really wonder if I have a bad breath. I would feel a little bit ashamed if one of my close friends told me about that but I would ve thankful as well.

05:18 PM Jun 15 2015 |

mohamedsameh

Egypt

sup bro this topic aint senstive at all here in egypt we tell eachother about our ass’s smell .(did u fart ) without being ashamed or any shit so stfu

04:14 PM Jun 15 2015 |

Shoba

Shoba

Sri Lanka

Okay, dear Julito, thanks for your marvellous idea. Please don’t eat too many garlics and make the people around you flee from the city…just teasing.

03:30 PM Jun 15 2015 |

Maracuya

Maracuya

Colombia

Sometimes, it is hard to talk about a sensitive topic like this with someone you care but, if it is a close friend just say it! or ask if he/she has a health problem.

03:12 PM Jun 15 2015 |

seif_sameh22

Egypt

I HAVE A BAD BREATH TOO BUT NOT FROM MY MOUTH I DIDNT KNOW THIS PROBLEM TILL 5 OF MY FRIENDS DIED FROM THIS AWFULL SMELL

01:57 PM Jun 15 2015 |

Lejla123

Lejla123

Serbia and Montenegro

I agree that topic is sensitive, but I’m not good in giving hints and if I have  a need to tell that some my close friend have  a bad breath I pick to confron with him/her and say the truct with some easy words.

01:26 PM Jun 15 2015 |

julito1

julito1

Argentina

I think that if it is a friend shouldn`t take it the wrong way and be offended  ,but I wouldn`t dare to mention it to an   stranger , unless i would like to have another enemy .  I like to eat garlic , it is said that it is good for our blood pressure, but”smell sensitive” for the people around us ,  i must be  cautious so as not to scare away my friends  and having to live in   solitary confinement   for the rest of my life. hehehehehe!! 

Dear Shoba, another idea , tell your friend that as you are having bad breath you gargle everyday with a mouthwash and that he /she,  should try it, that it is a wonder how it freshen up our breath.  tricky intent but worth it …. 

s11211s

s11211s

If someone is my “close” friend, so I honestly can tell him\her what is on my mind! Of course in a way he\she less embarrass!

It’s a really sensitive topic. But we can imagine if we had such problem how could be the best way we are noted about, by our friend or other!

I think talking about such problems is so hard and who has such problems, whether or not, will be noted by people indirect act and behavior!

09:59 AM Jun 15 2015 |

naira71

naira71

Azerbaijan

Sure ,It is a sensitive topic for everyone .I think a person who heard about this from close friend  would be offended in any case,even if he said it in polite way. We have also such a proverb -It is better bitter  truth than sweet lie.

09:43 AM Jun 15 2015 |

Shoba

Shoba

Sri Lanka

Oh, uh, what an embarrassing lesson we have today! 

The best way to tell is to first gargle our mouth with a good mouthwash and then tell our friend that he/she has bad breath. LOL

nabil99

nabil99

Syrian Arab Republic

the best way to tell a frind that   say  what  kind your  foods eating  

they  ask  me  why

i am  tellk hem

becous  som  foods  maby  not  good  

06:31 AM Jun 15 2015 |

dearpesar

dearpesar

tell like this:

have you eaten special food, i mean thing like gralic? because if i do so i will have bad breath. it can be caused by some digestion disorder or not brushing teeth.

get away from me! stay aside and let me have a fresh air you stinky skunk :D

05:47 AM Jun 15 2015 |

2 people like this

kamran_bagheri2002

the best way is write something about that and without any name .

01:10 AM Jun 15 2015 |

2 people like this

Likes (19):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog: