Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Global Warming
Global Warming

Learn English meaning of ‘global warming’

Date: May 18 2020

Themes: Health, News, Weather

Grammar: Adverbs

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

In recent years, people have worked to raise awareness of climate change and its effects. One of these effects is global warming, which has many of its own negative results. Some of these include the melting of polar ice caps and rising sea levels. While most people agree that it is important to work against these unnatural changes, others say that the situation is baloney.

When the effects of global warming hit home, many people react by trying to minimize their carbon footprint. They might ride a bike instead of driving a car, and they might also turn down the heat in their houses. The important thing is to stay optimistic and believe that we can improve our world if we work together.

Andy is concerned about global warming. Listen as he and Brian discuss this important issue in today’s English lesson.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Andy_H

Andy_H

Brian

Brian

Andy_H:  Brian, I’ve got to tell you, I’m kind of worried about the world because global warming is just becoming more and more apparent as an issue.

Brian:  Right. I mean, climate change is happening, but it’s a matter of how it’s happening. I know a lot of politicians say it’s baloney, or it’s not real, but we can see how the temperatures change and how the weather has changed.

Andy_H:  And, you know, you can say something for as long as you want, but facts are facts. Our temperature globally is rising, the polar ice caps are melting, and the sea levels are rising. I’m really concerned but also optimistic, considering how much recycling and taking away our carbon footprint has really increased in the past five years.

Brian:  There’s definitely more awareness. I think it’s really hit home that fossil fuels are a limited resource, and we have to find alternative energy.

Andy_H:  It’s really amazing that, with all of the stars and all of the solar energy that exists in our universe, we dig in the ground.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Adverbs" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Andy is very worried about global warming. A lot of politicians say that global warming isn’t happening. They call the issue baloney. However, Andy knows that the polar ice caps are melting, and the sea levels are rising. He tells Brian about these facts, and Brian is also worried about this topic.

Brian thinks that the issue of global warming has hit home for many people. They are beginning to understand that fossil fuels will not last forever. People need to make a change in order to protect themselves and the environment. Both Andy and Brian are happy to see people reducing their carbon footprint, but they think more action is necessary.

In your opinion, what is the solution for global warming? How do you reduce your carbon footprint?

Comments

EVAfrommexico

Mexico

Taking care and monitoring natural resources.

Trough the regulation and control of the mining concessions, and give permissions only to companies that provide development and social welfare to the workers and also to those corporations that commit the less damage to the ecosystem. 

Plan the Mining activities from the global idea of environmental management.

Apply the law to those who violate the ordinances and regulations of the concessions.

Implement controls and mechanisms in production to ensure a significant foreign exchange earning for the country.

05:06 PM May 14 2016 |

ilko_90

ilko_90

United Kingdom

Don’t worry for warm some people already to care for global warming

Look at this >>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcZaJEMsSwM

11:49 AM May 03 2016 |

1 person likes this

buttafly

buttafly

Germany

As long as people suck up canned air from Down Under or Canada there’s no hope for this planet ;)

06:10 AM May 03 2016 |

1 person likes this

maryam1990

maryam1990

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

I try to reduce my carbon footprints by buying glass battles instead of plastic battles.because glass battles are unrivaled.

08:36 PM May 02 2016 |

rafi29

rafi29

Poland

I believe that global warming is not to over-exploitation of land resources deposits and excessive emissions of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere but it is a problem, not successful investments for which someone must pay. An example is the production of solar cells in Germany in the nineties, it turned out that the cost of producing energy from solar is four times higher than that of carbon and costs have to blame society. And in order not to burden the costs of its own citizens came up with the brilliant idea to impose penalties on EU countries for not implementing renewable energy.

It is one of history which many in our global business world and we have to naive towers with everything we said and television enough to analyze all periods in our world to understand what is happening in about us.

Of course I could be wrong because only God is not fallible.

07:01 PM May 02 2016 |

hodung

Viet Nam

Yes. I think people should more concern about globe warming. I live in Vietnam, day by day, i feel the climate in our country change a lot. It’s more hotter, less more rain , some parts of our country change the way it used to be.. 

Hopefully everyone in our country can care more about the enviroment, protect for the plants in the area that they live, and teach for the kids how to protect for the enviroment.

04:02 PM May 02 2016 |

Hamedrees

Hamedrees

Sudan

uhhh omm that’s agreat topic which concern to all people around the world ,

so human must be a wareness  and thinking good for their life’s , and trying to decrease the carbon foorpoint by each way .

10:29 AM May 02 2016 |

GWTA

GWTASuper Member!

Germany

I try to reduce my carbon footprint by using my bike as often as i can. And I bought a smaller car.

07:48 AM May 02 2016 |

1 person likes this

Nadia_1

Nadia_1

Pakistan

In my opinion it’s a really big problem for a whole World. and some countries are taking it very seriously but still it needs to imporve by taking some serious actions.

Global warming is going to be increased day by day…which is very harmful for all mankind and all living things. 

whatever the cause of it but we should try to control, act by putting as much as trees we can  and save this World. 

07:15 AM May 02 2016 |

ilko_90

ilko_90

United Kingdom

I am thinking about that : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BB0aFPXr4n4

06:24 AM May 02 2016 |

1 person likes this

joao correia

Brazil

I’m sure that global warming it is a reality, because everybody can see the warming everywhere, including the wrongs seasons and toxic rain for example.

I believe that is possible change this situation acting progressive in reducing carbon dioxide and another simple personal  attitude.

Let’s do our part!

02:37 AM May 02 2016 |

Likes (9):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog: