Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

cover up

cover up

Date: Jul 13 2017

Themes: Celebrity, Fashion, Health

1. Quote - Listen to the quote and guess what the slang means.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

“When people argue that Wonder Woman should ‘cover up,’ I don’t quite get it. They say, ‘If she’s smart and strong, she can’t also be sexy.’ That’s not fair. Why can’t she be all of the above?”

—Actor Gal Gadot, speaking about her costume in the movie Wonder Woman (Time)

Definition

1. Definition - Study the definition.

wear more clothes; cover the skin

2. Use - Learn how the slang is used.

Maybe, it’s cold. Or it could be really sunny. Maybe, you don’t like wearing a small swimsuit. Or you may want to look more professional. There are a lot of reasons why people might cover up. When you cover up, you put more clothes on your body. You cover most of your skin. Another way to cover up is to put a blanket over your body. For example, you might do this while watching TV or reading a book.

Some people feel more comfortable when they cover up. They might choose to cover up every day. On the other hand, some people do not like to cover up. They feel comfortable showing their skin. Often, this is both a cultural and a personal choice. The kind and beautiful Gal Gadot recently played Wonder Woman in the new hit movie by this name. Some people think Wonder Woman should wear more clothes, but Gadot doesn’t understand this. She thinks that if a person is comfortable in their skin, they can show it if they want to.

Do you like to cover up? Would you wear Wonder Woman’s costume?

Examples

1. Examples - Hear some example sentences.

“It’s very sunny today, so you should cover up.”

“It’s getting cold. Do you have a jacket I could cover up with?”

“Some people are more comfortable when they cover up.”

Winners

1. Winners - See who guessed the slang definition correctly.

GWTA Wear more clothes
by GWTASuper Member!
a2020 Be changed.
by a2020
to wear decent and covering clothes.
by La Princesse de la vie

Want to guess next week's slang?

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Comments

mohkhalidjalali

Afghanistan

afghanistan is now very hot  .so i dont kile covering up

10:28 AM Jul 19 2017 |

valdenizio

valdenizio

Brazil

this days is really cold here, then i like covering up my body

09:24 PM Jul 13 2017 |

Padena

Ukraine

Yes,I like to cover up, especially if the weather is cold)) But I think that Wonder Woman would look strange if she was dressed warm clothes in this film))

06:46 PM Jul 13 2017 |

manal_njr

manal_njr

United States

I like to cover up I don’t like to show my skin this is how I am and my personality I feel more comfortable when covering up and I don’t think it has nothing to do with beauty or something like that just it is a personal choice. 

05:35 PM Jul 13 2017 |

mojtaba

mojtaba

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

In my religion and culture especially for women you should cover up when you don’t be at home ,I think this is very good 

08:16 AM Jul 13 2017 |

Satishdb

Satishdb

India

No,she shouldn’t cover up….After all she is a wonder woman.:P

03:16 AM Jul 13 2017 |

hermitlady

China

For me,  the only reason to cover up is feeling cold. On this foundation, I may consider the beauty.  Maybe I like to cover up.  I never wear cloths because of beauty , or because of beauty, I wear less cloths.

I would think I was influenced deeply by traditional culture. I was a traditional woman.  I would not wear wonder woman’s costume in usual life.

But I admire the woman who wear the wonder’s costume. I like watching them.  Many women like wear less and less cloths even in winter.  Maybe they thought the beauty was less and less cloths. 

The less or more cover up is indeed personal choice, only represents the person’s some aesthetic standard. The same time it also is one’s habit of dressing. 

02:29 AM Jul 13 2017 |

Likes (5):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast